gen - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
gen

If you were to carry a 2000 gen set (47 lbs) inside a 16 foot Scamp, front bath side dinette. How would you stop it from moving,what location, ect. ?? I keep changing my mind, from tow to trailer. I have it, but did not take it with me so far, B/C I was in in CG with hook ups and did not go on a long trip so far this year. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I don't have a Scamp so I can't make any suggestions specific to your trailer, but I would look for a crate or box with some anti skid material on the bottom, and maybe some way to secure the box to a wall. In addition to sliding, a major concern is tipping. A tipped generator fills the air filter and intake with oil and the generator will not run until everything is cleaned up. A tipped generator usually requires a new air filter. A box helps prevent tipping.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Carl what tug are you carrying it in?

If a truck then putting it to one side on a no skid mat and a tethering it to a side cleat to stop it from tipping is one way. Thats my approach for traveling with the same generator.

If I had carried it in the Scamp (never did) i would consider putting it on the floor of the shower area on a none skid mat and put other items such as my camp chairs &/or outside mat or other such items in there as well on either side of it to keep it from tipping.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Carl,

I have recently moved our 10# propane cylinder from the back of the tow vehicle and into our Casita. The propane cylinder is nested into a sturdy, tight-fitting plastic milk crate.

(We mainly cook outside and I don't want to lug one of the 20# cylinders off of the A-frame. I am considering a future modification that would allow me to pair a 10# with the 20# on the A-frame.)

In the Freedom Deluxe, we have captain's chairs mounted on metal posts. I wrap two ratcheting load straps around the posts to secure the crate in place.

In your case, perhaps some flush mounted D-rings might help.

I don't know what risks there might be of having gas fumes accumulate in the trailer; perhaps another consideration.

Perhaps you could "confine" the generator within the bathroom; we have a 6" high curb on the floor in ours. I'm not clear on the Scamp's arrangement there.

Just some thoughts for whatever they may be worth.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
If you were to carry a 2000 gen set (47 lbs) inside a 16 foot Scamp, front bath side dinette. How would you stop it from moving,what location, ect. ?? I keep changing my mind, from tow to trailer. I have it, but did not take it with me so far, B/C I was in in CG with hook ups and did not go on a long trip so far this year. Carl
I would never carry a generator or gasoline inside my trailer. Therefore movement inside the trailer isn't a problem.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Carl what tug are you carrying it in?

If a truck then putting it to one side on a no skid mat and a tethering it to a side cleat to stop it from tipping is one way. Thats my approach for traveling with the same generator.

If I had carried it in the Scamp (never did) i would consider putting it on the floor of the shower area on a none skid mat and put other items such as my camp chairs &/or outside mat or other such items in there as well on either side of it to keep it from tipping.
I have a 2012 Rav4 V6 Tow Pkg. 3500 # limit. Sometimes I have to pull over and use the potti in a hurry, so i like to leave that area open. But maybe it will work if it is placed to one side. Thanks Carl
Old 09-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I have always carried the gen in the back of the pickup. I just nestle it forward and to the side, never tied down. There is usually plenty of other supplies around it. The cap seals pretty tight, so I would think you would be ok in a SUV, but that would not be my preference.

I almost always carry a 25# sealed invertor battery in the trailer. I always have it against a wall or another stable surface so it won't roll if I have to make a hard stop. It never has moved during travel.

I don't have a Scamp, but I would probably put it just inside the door where it will be supported in front by the closet and can easily be moved at your destination. At 45#, I don't think it will slide around unless you plan on going off road.

I would be more worried about the spare fuel cans. I hate to have them either in an enclosed vehicle or the trailer.

Note: most of these comments are from my Casita days. With the Campster, the gen and fuel will definately be in the Ridgeline.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I carry my Honda 2000 in the back of my F150 under a camper shell so have not given the issue of carrying it in the Scamp any thought. But, if I wanted to carry it in the Scamp I would and not worry about gas fumes. This is due to the fact that the Honda gas cap, with the vent in the "off" position, is fume tight.

I have carried coolers and other things on the floor of my Scamp back against the dinette ledge and secured with a plastic "L" thing that has Velcro on the bottom which hooks into the floor carpet. Works good and nothing moves. I think I got it at Home Depot. I would turn the Honda long ways with the trailer and wedge it in place and ride. The Honda is so squat and heavy I really don't think it will move, unless things are going on with the trailer that shouldn't be anyway.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My Honda 1000 ends up in various places. Sometimes in the bath, sometimes in aisle inside the trailer, sometimes in back of the RAV. In the trailer it generally sits on a carpet runner. With fuel vent cap turned off, there are no fumes.
I've never found it to wander or tip over.
Spare gas container goes in box on the rear of the trailer.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Thanks for all of your replies, I would ,or thinking of using a one gal. gas container and strapping to the tongue. I usually carry a large cooler filled with ice and drinks which probably weighs more then the gen in the Rav. I could eliminate that and carry it empty and get ice and drinks when we go out which is all the time. I could also make sure the 6 gal HWH is empty too, it is usually filled when traveling. I may be over thinking this. Thanks much. Carl
Old 09-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If the trailer was properly designed, you should be able to tow it with full tanks and compensate for the weight by shifting contents forward or back. I carry 12 packs of beer. Just pick them up by the handle and adjust.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for all of your replies, I would ,or thinking of using a one gal. gas container and strapping to the tongue. I usually carry a large cooler filled with ice and drinks which probably weighs more then the gen in the Rav. I could eliminate that and carry it empty and get ice and drinks when we go out which is all the time. I could also make sure the 6 gal HWH is empty too, it is usually filled when traveling. I may be over thinking this. Thanks much. Carl
Our you could carry the cooler in the trailer over the axle - I did that with my Scamp.

One of the better/safer leak free gas cans is a RotopaX. It can stay upright or lay on its side without worry of leaks. It comes in a 1 gal tank.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
We have a Scamp 16 and have carried a Honda 1000 Generator for the last 5 months, buying it for the NL Caravan. It sits behind the third row of seats in a plastic tray in our Honda Odyssey. As well we carry a 1 gallon container of gasoline in a smaller plastic container beside the generator. Neither plastic tray is covered, each is about 6 inches deep. Gas fumes are never 'prescent'.

The trays also allow for the storage of Gas stabilizer and a quart of Synthetic oil for the generator as well as a turkey baster for adding oil to the generator.

The stuff never moves around. The floor behind the 3rd row of seats is 1/2 inch plywood. We have the ability to mount wooden blocks on the plywood floor to prevent movement. We also carry 2-4 aluminum chairs beside the generator where we use wooden blocks screwed into the floor to locate the chairs.

This piece of plywood lifts, covering a large Odyssey storage volume where the 3rd trow of seats can fold into the floor. We use this volume for rarely used stuff.

We never carry nothing loose items in the Scamp.

Our tongue weight is only 200 lbs. and the weight in the back of the Honda has no negative effect. If it did we'd move it in front of the Honda's rear axle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
For those who wonder the 1000 watt generator does run our Scamp including the Air Conditioner. We do not have a microwave and need to be aware but it does work.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #15

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
For those who wonder the 1000 watt generator does run our Scamp including the Air Conditioner. We do not have a microwave and need to be aware but it does work.
Norm. What size and model AC are you running with the Honda 1000 watt generator?
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #16

Registry
Some folks have had success with running an 11,000 BTU AC with a Honda 2000 but according to the powers that be if you do it often enough be its a good way to burn out the compressor on the AC. Its not the actual running of the AC thats the problem its the initial start up of the AC - it needs everything the 2000 can give and some to start up.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:34 AM   #17

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
I installed some cargo tied down loops to the raised floor in Scamp 16 side dinette, under the sink and under the side dinette, just in case I wanted to secure heavy cargo in the trailer, like my generator. That location is very close to the axle and centered so should not affect the trailer balance much. I never actually carried it there, but did meet someone else who does carry their generator in the trailer attached like that. I have since traded Subaru for Nissan Forester TV so now have space and capacity to carry generator and other heavy stuff in the TV.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:54 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone for your replies. Very good advice. I will work something out. Carl
Old 09-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
They make a "slow start" capacitor for the A/C units that's suppose to help take care of that. I believe Floyd put one on his. I dont have one but with my 3500 Champion powering my 9200btu AC, it barely burps.

Personally, I dont want my Scamp smelling like a garage- no gasoline period inside. And I dont want "gasoline" INSIDE my vehicle when I'm traveling. My gen rides in the bed of my pu...where they should be. (unless you have them mounted elsewhere externally...like on the tongue of the trailer or underneath like on the big "pushers")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Some folks have had success with running an 11,000 BTU AC with a Honda 2000 but according to the powers that be if you do it often enough be its a good way to burn out the compressor on the AC. Its not the actual running of the AC thats the problem its the initial start up of the AC - it needs everything the 2000 can give and some to start up.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I dont have one but with my 3500 Champion powering my 9200btu AC, it barely burps.
I would expect any generator rated at 3000 or more to have no trouble kicking out enough power to start a 9200 BTU or a 11000 BTU for that matter.

Problem is the small 1000 and 2000 do not have the power the AC is needing for the start up. While some are able to take the generator off of ECO mode and get the AC powered up after a short burp they may as I said find as others have that in the long run they are not doing the long term health of the AC any favours in doing so.