generator, inverter, and converter - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #41

Name: J
Trailer: NonFiberglass
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
The super quiet generators are quiet...last weekend a larger 5th wheel trailer was camped pretty close,maybe 200 feet from me and I only heard his twin honda 2000's when I was about 30 feet away and they were just purring. I had zero issues with it... I didnt need to run mine it dropped into the low 60's at night but to each their own. Solar is good but if you have a mounted rooftop unit and are parked in the tree's its not really going to do much to create power... so the generator is needed. Now if someone is running a loud construction kinda generator I would say something but there are plenty of them that are very quiet and could easily be playing some horrid music much louder. Tolerance is a good thing to learn...

X2 ^

Some people have medical equip that has to run at night or all the time. I would think it rude if you came up to me and asked me why I was running my generator. I can rough it as needed but if the Batteries need charging or I need to do something that requires the power well as long as I am not in a generator free zone I will run it. Mind you I will try for mid day and put it out further so as not to annoy folks but as said above Tolerance just my .02

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #42

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjquigs View Post
Having said that, the bulk of the more useful posts on this thread have convinced me that giving up the microwave is probably easier and better than trying to power it, so that's what I'm going to do. And I might just bring my 15-watt solar panel and amp hour meter and see what happens.

Bill
Bill, If you have a small 700 W microwave, and a 1000 W inverter, you can have, depending on your battery, up to an hour of microwave power between charges. Add a solar cell, and you might get an hour and a half.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #43

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjquigs View Post
Is it really so different in Michigan? Here in Washington, and most places I've camped on the west coast, you absolutely do not go to a state park for quiet and to "get away from it all". The campsites are packed in so close that you can usually hear every detail of your neighbors' conversations, generator or no..............
Bill
In Michigan we have many state parks. Some , especially close to urban areas, are packed and noisy. Others have large campsites and are generally quiet.

It sounds like you are most comfortable in the noisy ones. I prefer the quiet ones.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #44

Name: Michele
Trailer: Currently shopping
New Brunswick
Do some campgrounds have a 'use generator between this hour and that hour' policy? Then people can plan their naps and battery tops up accordingly.
Michele1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #45

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Francesca,

I can't hear you.

baglo
I know...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #46

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
X2 ^

Some people have medical equip that has to run at night or all the time. I would think it rude if you came up to me and asked me why I was running my generator. I can rough it as needed but if the Batteries need charging or I need to do something that requires the power well as long as I am not in a generator free zone I will run it. Mind you I will try for mid day and put it out further so as not to annoy folks but as said above Tolerance just my .02

Cypher
I am just stunned at what you posted...and will just quote an earlier post. I would surely come over and ask you if you were running it in the middle of the night; "Thanks for educating us. This explains a lot of the behavior that I see, especially in state parks".
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #47

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I am just stunned at what you posted...and will just quote an earlier post. I would surely come over and ask you if you were running it in the middle of the night; "Thanks for educating us. This explains a lot of the behavior that I see, especially in state parks".

Hey Hotfishtacos,

Sir did you perhaps note I stated "as long as I am not in a generator free zone I will run it. Mind you I will try for mid day and put it out further so as not to annoy folks" but as said above Tolerance just my .02. I have friends who have among them a need for Cpap Machines, O2 concentrators, Heart Monitors ( Calls In it's readings even using his cell phone), refrigeration for diabetic medication, Charging for mobility carts yes both of them can walk but not distances at this time they are awaiting healing and new prosthetic leg respectively, TENS units, frozen cold packs, microwave heat packs shall I go on?

You might wonder how this is possible to know so many folks needing electrical power to help them get through the day. Well they and I spent some time boon docking in places no towed RV I know of could go. Think LOTS OF SAND, not to much ocean. Mind you I was AF 23 Yrs and had it ok in the box one of them was AF the rest are Army, Marines ( Yeah I know weird for AF and Marines to get along what can I say we grew up together) and yes one Navy guy but what can you do his choice:}. So please think to your self why is this person running a generator before you step to someone to complain or cop the attitude your words seem to convey. By all means though, feel free to complain to whom ever you wish they and I did help keep that right for you. Perhaps even yourself served if you did thanks but think of the others who did also.

Cypherian
Old 06-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #48

Registry
Hey, "J"- Chill out!

I think you miss the point that we all have our troubles/wishes/desires. Yours/mine are not superior to anyone else's when we share an environment. Natural quietude is a main reason folks go out to the country, and deserves preservation. If I had a loud party out there with rock 'n roll music, you'd have every right to come bangin' on my door telling me to knock it off. I have the same right if you plan so poorly that you think you need to run a generator all night long instead of buying a couple more batteries for your high electrical wants.

And please don't dishonor the service of my Military by attempting to justify obnoxious behavior as something anyone must tolerate simply because the perpetrator once wore The Uniform.

Francesca
Old 06-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #49

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hey, "J"- Chill out!

I think you miss the point that we all have our troubles/wishes/desires. Yours/mine are not superior to anyone else's when we share an environment. Natural quietude is a main reason folks go out to the country, and deserves preservation. If I had a loud party out there with rock 'n roll music, you'd have every right to come bangin' on my door telling me to knock it off. I have the same right if you plan so poorly that you think you need to run a generator all night long instead of buying a couple more batteries for your high electrical wants.

And please don't dishonor the service of my Military by attempting to justify obnoxious behavior as something anyone must tolerate simply because the perpetrator once wore The Uniform.

Francesca
No attempt at dishonor to any uniform or non uniformed person who has a need for those medical devices , I was pointing out not all who might run a generator at an inconvenient time are doing so out of poor manners.

Have a good one.

Cypherian
Old 06-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #50

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I really think this self righteous attitude that some people have here really needs to be toned down a notch or two. If someone is doing something that is allowed in a campground or anywhere else and you don't like it then leave...trying to brow beat people into doing what you want/ thinking your way isn't going to happen. If I'm in my legal right in that campground to run a generator for whatever my reason is and someone decides to come over and harass me guess who is calling the police? If its not allowed that is entirely a different story.

Tolerance people...just except the fact we can't always have our own way...other people have rights as well...sheesh

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #51

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
other people have rights as well...sheesh

Exactly!

Francesca
Old 06-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #52

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
There's the question of what is allowed or forbidden, and then there's the question of what is polite or rude. Running a generator where it can annoy others at a bad time might be allowed but if there's no good reason for it then it can certainly be rude. On the other hand, approaching somebody who is causing you annoyance can be done in a polite manner or a rude manner, too.

Politeness is the grease that keeps the machine from breaking down when our rights rub up against each other.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #53

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
The problem is that anti generator people are going tocomplain irregardless... even if the area is approved for generators ... I think if you feel strongly that you don't want tohear the sound of one then look at the FAQ/rules regulations for that campground and make sure it fits your wants and needs...the same thing that I will be doing before I make my choice of where I plan to camp.

No one here knows me personally, just like you might not know that trailer over there that's running a generator at night. You can be as nice as pie but if they are running it for air conditioning for a health reason they are in there rights to run it if its approved by the camp ground. Sorry.

So do your homework and pick campground s that have what you need them to have and if you mistakenly camp where its allowed even though you don't like it show tolerance...just like when people or kids or dogs are making noise and you don't like it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #54

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Well the good news is that most State and National Parks have hours of use rules in regards to generators regardless of why they are needed. Those hours of use have at most parks been reduced in recent years & in some places outlawed completely. I have no doubt as solar technology improves & the use of solar is embraced by campers at the rate it is currently that trend will continue.

So no need for other campers to do the confrontation themselves.... just let the Ranger do it. God knows they have lots of experience in dealing with such situations. Its a good bet the party with the generator will be directed to shut it down or move on regardless of the reason for the use of it or they move to a ADA site (if the reason for use is in fact medical) if one is open.

Now if you happen to be out in the BML type lands and someone decides to arrive after you and parks close by although there are miles and miles of other spaces they could have gone to and then proceeds to fire up their generator, IMHO thats open season! My experience in Nevada and S. Cal suggests that might involve a gun but up here in the North its more likely to involve a hockey stick.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator