Generator ?? Upcoming Event in AZ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

Name: Deb
Trailer: Sold:::SCAMP
Arizona
Generator ?? Upcoming Event in AZ

Hi all who know everything about fiberglass trailers and generators. We will be Attending the upcoming event and think we will need to purchase a generator for our Scamp 19ft 5th wheel. Yes the Honda is our first choice...thank you.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Your probably thinking of the Honda 2000i but may I suggest something a little larger like Honda's 3000 inverter or possibly a Yamaha 2400 or 3000.

The reason is that a Honda EU2000i is 1600 watts continuous, 2000 is the surge wattage and depending on the size AC in your 5th wheel it might not have enough power and it's always good to have a little extra and possibly be quieter running then a smaller one running flat out.

A Honda 3000 also can be had with electric start too that might be a consideration.
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....da%20EU2000IA1
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The 2000 would not start our air conditioner. I installed the additional capacitor in the AC and it still did not start the AC.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #4

Somewhere around the early 2000's AC manufacturers learned users were using generators and started adding a "hard start" capacitor. On our original 1999 Dometic Brisk Air 7,150 BTU it was an option ours did not have. I tried the touted Supco hard start one and it did not help and actually made it worse.
I found an official Dometic hard start cap and it works super.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Another consideration for the OP. Do the inverter generators do better with the startup surge of the air conditioning compressors?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Another consideration for the OP. Do the inverter generators do better with the startup surge of the air conditioning compressors?
Yes they do. The inverter inside the generator reacts to the sudden current draw very fast while the engine speeds up. Inverter generators do not rely on a constant engine RPM, usually 3600, like conventional ones. The electronics handle voltage and 60 cycles per second.

I doubt a conventional generator with the same wattage output as a Honda 2000i, 1600/2000, would even try to start a camper size AC unit.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #7

And the inverter gen slows down the gas engine when you are using low power thus saving you gas. It automatically speeds up when you need more wattage.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #8

Name: JAMES
Trailer: SCAMP
New Hampshire
Whatever you do remember that these generators do not like gas with ethanol. They will self destruct using it. I've been there! Honda is very distinct about that! Gas without ethanol costs me around $10 a gallon and is not easy to find! Don't believe the baloney they can run on any gas! I have also read a few articles about Honda small generators with some severe expensive problems. I am considering a duromax-xp2000is at half the price with pretty much the same specs as the Honda and no ill reports.
polskasila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Yes they do. The inverter inside the generator reacts to the sudden current draw very fast while the engine speeds up. Inverter generators do not rely on a constant engine RPM, usually 3600, like conventional ones. The electronics handle voltage and 60 cycles per second.

I doubt a conventional generator with the same wattage output as a Honda 2000i, 1600/2000, would even try to start a camper size AC unit.
I found this page and based on that alone I would go for the inverter generator. However, they do not mention the word "surge" at all. That is why the experience of others on this site is so useful.
Conventional Generator vs Inverter Generator
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #10

GAS: Here in Virginia we live on a lake and get our gas for all our small engines at a Marina where it is alchol free. It costs just a little more than car gas.

Be sure to do a search for it B 4 you pay outragious prices.

I still mix the additive that extends the shelf life in the gas.

I run all summer motors completely dry B 4 storing them for the winter and the same for the snow blower B 4 storing for the summer.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #11

New Hampshire
You may not believe this but the cheapest ethanol free gas in NH and Mass. is $9.10 a gallon! That is todays quote!!!!
Old 02-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #12

I really do beleave you. Greed is a terrible thing. See if you have any marinas close by and what the price is.

Here is one even worse. You can purchase premixed gas for 2 cycle engines at those big hardware stores. They are in the $5 or more range for a quart.

Just looked, over $30 a gallon.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TruSouth-...5638/202532877
Old 02-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #13

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Not an authority on anything. I do own a generator. Because I am retired and money does not grow on any trees on my land I did a lot of research. My goal was simple....to save some money but purchase a generator with good reviews that would run my A/C when the weather got hot.

I purchased a Champion 3100 watt inverter type generator. It runs my A/C. It is relatively quiet. It starts on the first or second pull every time. It is easy to pull.
It has built in wheels and a fold away handle. It is easy to service. It has an excellent warranty and service network. Will it last forever...probably not...I'm 69 years old...it may outlast me.

I purchased it on sale at Cabelas for $750. Two guys who worked at the cabelas store told me they owned the same model and were both "Happy Campers".

Buy what you can afford. Hondas cost a lot. Yahamas cost a lot too.
The Yahama 2400 watt inverter unit looked tempting but the fact that it might not power a RV A/C turned me off. The Champion I own has plenty of power for a lot less money.

Gas...I use regular unleaded with ethanol but always add "stabil" labeled for ethanol gas. It is cheap insurance to protect the generator.

Good Luck.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #14

New Hampshire
[QUOTE=Uplander;570271]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Not an authority on anything. I do own a generator. Because I am retired and money does not grow on any trees on my land I did a lot of research. My goal was simple....to save some money but purchase a generator with good reviews that would run my A/C when the weather got hot.

I purchased a Champion 3100 watt inverter type generator. It runs my A/C. It is relatively quiet. It starts on the first or second pull every time. It is easy to pull. It comes with a 30 AMP and two 20 AMP receptacles making it RV Ready.
It has built in wheels and a fold away handle. It is easy to service. It has an excellent warranty and service network. Will it last forever...probably not...I'm 69 years old...it may outlast me.

I purchased it on sale at Cabelas for $750. Two guys who worked at the cabelas store told me they owned the same model and were both "Happy Campers".

Buy what you can afford. Hondas cost a lot. Yahamas cost a lot too.
The Yahama 2400 watt inverter unit looked tempting but the fact that it might not power a RV A/C turned me off. The Champion I own has plenty of power for a lot less money.

Good Luck.
One other thing that may be important Honda 2000ie does not have a clean sine which means it creates a hell of an electrical interference with radios, tv, and computers whereas others don't. So keep that in mind, could be an important issue.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #15

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The new inverter Gen sets have a pretty good output often better than the old style units.
I have seen the sine waves on the oscilloscope.
My Harbor Freight is OK with 10% ethanol.
They suggest running Stabil fuel treatment as well.
So far I am well pleased with the 2500 Watt HF generator.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:24 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I bought 89 octane ethanol free gas for $2.15 / gallon last week.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:31 AM   #17

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Home depot has an Energy Storm Lifan Pure sine wave Inverter generator 3000 watt for half the price of a Honda and is as quiet as well You can also purchase extended warranty through Home Depot. The unit is Electric start with remote as well. I bought the 2600 and it runs the 13.5 AC with no problem on my HI LO. I have it lounge mounted on my Scamp 16
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #18

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by polskasila View Post
I have also read a few articles about Honda small generators with some severe expensive problems. I am considering a duromax-xp2000is at half the price with pretty much the same specs as the Honda and no ill reports.
There must be tens of thousands of the Hondas out in the wild, bound to be some bad reports over the years. How many reports of any kind (good or bad) have you seen on that off-brand Duromax?. It may be a fine unit for the money, just saying.....
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
Home depot has an Energy Storm Lifan Pure sine wave Inverter generator 3000 watt for half the price of a Honda and is as quiet as well You can also purchase extended warranty through Home Depot. The unit is Electric start with remote as well. I bought the 2600 and it runs the 13.5 AC with no problem on my HI LO. I have it lounge mounted on my Scamp 16
What is lounge mounted ?? Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
I think Charles ment tounge mounted although lounge mounted sounds like a relaxing way to mount your generator
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote

« gen | EGG Generator »