Generators - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2002, 04:34 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Generators

TGIF all!

I would like to get a serious discussion going about GENERATORS.

I am leaning towards the Honda EU2000 but I have seen information posted on various websites that the Yamaha is quieter (and cheaper)

What are your opinions?

Make and Model.
Good and Bad.

Thanks for any help! :)

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 05:31 PM   #2

Rick,

I bought a Honda EU2000i because of its ability to run my A/C and it’s quiet. Here is some specifications I looked up for you. The Honda is a 12 volt generator with an inverter. I think the Yamaha is also.
I hope I did this correct. I tried to line these up apples for apples.

Old 12-14-2002, 07:12 AM   #3

EU2000i

I'm with Michael on this one. The Honda EU2000i is a perfect fit for our use. When camped at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta this fall, I was amused at the number of ''neighbors'' who stopped by to ask if our generator was running or not--couldn't believe how quiet it was. It will run either the microwave or the a/c, probably not both at the same time, although I have seen several posts where the owner said this was possible. A nice feature is the eco-throttle, where the speed/output of the generator adjusts to the power requirement at that moment--most of the time, an ''idle'' speed seems to be the norm. The Honda's electronics are somehow filtered so that computers, etc., can be connected to it without damage.

The 1k generator is just a little too small (IMO) for optimum use. The 3k is substantially heavier, much more expensive and noisier. We decided on the 2k and have not regretted the purchase. (Mayberrys is a very accomodating source.)

Most ordinary gens do not seem to have the features that we found on the Honda. The Yamaha may have all of them, I simply do not know.

However, it would be nice if Honda (or Yamaha or....) would produce a model using propane fuel.

Old 12-14-2002, 02:28 PM   #4

Takes all kinds, right? There's a fellow on RORVT asking about converting his propane Onan to diesel or gasoline.... Dunno why.

rec.outdoors.rv-travel

Pete and Rats

Old 12-18-2002, 02:31 PM   #5

Generators

Rick We have A Honda Eu3000isCao.More than happy with this unit. Here are some stats from Honda Canada:The 3000 puts out 2800 Watts @ 23.4 Amps.-2000 puts out 1600 Watts @ 13.3 Amps. Noise:3000...58/49 1/4 load...2000...59/54 1/4 load.Fuel: 3000 13 ltr. cap.runs 7.3/20hrs. Full/ ..1/4 load. 2000 4.1 ltr.cap.runs 4/8hrs. Full/...1/4 load. Extras on 3000: Elec.start,12 volt batt.chg.@6.5 amps. Drawbacks of 3000 129lbs.dry...2000 46.3lbs.dry. Benifits of 3000:Idles along all day and night because of all that power/amps.and larger fuel tank.I don,t think I,ve ever reached peak load.Its just over idle running air!!! I plan to mount it on the hitch and relocate the batt. and propane bottle.Now heres the real Iceing on the cake!...3000 Msrp.2289.00 loons...2000 Msrp.1699.00 loons. Now thats bang for your buck for twice the Gen.set! hope this helps you out.Remeber..Bigger is better than not enough........regards Rick and Karen:wave

Old 12-18-2002, 04:50 PM   #6

Rick and Karen

Thanks for your reply - food for thought.

I am leaning towards the EU2000 simply because we won't use it all that much and the EU3000 seems a bit overkill for what I intend to use it for (strictly backup use in the bush).

I need to find a local (Canadian) dealer and check prices, seems to me that the EU2000 is going for about 850.00 US or 1300.00 CDN.

Off to see my sister in Spruce Grove over Christmas (P.S. is WEM still in business? *LOL) ;)

Old 12-18-2002, 10:58 PM   #7

Hi Rick
I think I would go for the bigger gen set. Reason is you could use it for dual purpose. At home if power outage and camping. Something like portable A/C. Just a thought.:)

Old 12-18-2002, 11:21 PM   #8

Another perspective...

I decided to go with the EU2000i Honda for the weight, noise level, and the ability to run our air conditioner.

I find it fits nice on the tong beside the propane tank in a custom built box.

For the house, we have a 5,000 watt Onan electric start. It is noisier but that doesn’t matter out in the shed. It is also very heavy. We can power the whole house (refrigerator, my business, etc.) when there are power outages which we have a lot out here in the country. The big horse power generators, that are a lot noisier, are not as pricey as the little super quiet generators.

Old 12-19-2002, 12:26 AM   #9

gensets

Bigger? Cant see myself using/needing it.....I was originally opting for the EU1000 until I read the specs of 7-800 watts or so. I don't require a genset for home......just for the Bigfoot in the bush.

Bottom line is trying to justify the cash vs. usage. :E :E

Old 12-19-2002, 03:48 AM   #10

Rick
I did at one time own a 300 honda for bush camping. It was a great little unit. Very quiet. I used it for years. I had no A/C but used it at nite . I would vouch for Honda products.:)

Old 12-19-2002, 11:54 AM   #11

Thanks all

George C. corrected my error - the EU1000 is actually about 1200.00 CDN - guess I need to save up more for the EU2000. :o

Old 12-19-2002, 12:24 PM   #12

Gen .Set.

Rick Last time I checked the mall was still there:drums :guitar The prices that I told you were MSRP. from Honda Canadas web page.You might find them cheeper at a dealer,maybe in a small town where Buba wants to get rid of stock sitting on the shelf but here the Boom is still going strong.I paid retail and I think if you shop here you will too.Now getting back to the facts to consider:when you are powering air with the 2000 I would guess it must be screaming along pretty good because it doesn,t have many Amps.It can,t be running at 1/4 load because even the 3000 is slightly up over 1/4 load.I guess my point is when the 3000 is running at any load it is the Quietest of the bunch according to the spec,s! Now to top it off how many times are you going to have to put gas in that 2000 over a 24 hr.time span...eg.Its 85 above and at 3 in the morning you have to add gas because it can,t run the air all night long:bed :splat We all know what happens when Mumma Bear wakes up Grumpy!!!:bh :violin . You only have to add fuel 1 time to the 3000 over a weekend with heavy use! and it just purrs along at 1/4 load.Well thats my 2 cents worth anyway....Hope you make the right choice for yourself.I know I did for my needs.Have a Merry:cheers HO HO :santa2 and good nite to all.P.S.Drive safe...Rick and Karen

Old 12-19-2002, 01:51 PM   #13

generators

Wait, Rick and Karen (or anybody), I have a question. You said it weights 129 lbs. you said you were to mount it to the tongue, which means it's not mounted there at the moment, so where do you tote it and how do you move it about?

Old 12-19-2002, 02:52 PM   #14

Generator

Rick,

I have my generator mounted on the roof.

at 25% full load - 0 db noise level
at 95% full load - 0 db noise level

I never add gas and I only run it in the day time. ;)

Old 12-19-2002, 04:52 PM   #15

Yo, folks, don't overlook the fact that two 1000 or 2000 Hondas can be linked together for double the power (I think they have to be the same size, however, so you can't use a 1000 to upsize a 2000, but I am not sure about that).

Not an inexpensive solution, but the difference in weight of a single unit vs two smaller units might result in chiropractic and physical therapy savings <grinz>.

Pete and Rats

Old 12-19-2002, 06:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Orginally posted by Morgan Bulger

Rick,

I have my generator mounted on the roof.

at 25% full load - 0 db noise level
at 95% full load - 0 db noise level

I never add gas and I only run it in the day time. ;)
Morgan---------I gotta love that.:banana

Old 12-29-2002, 08:20 PM   #17

generator

:wave Hi Rick
we bought our eu2000 from www.powermadeeasy.com for us$845 + about $16 for the 12 volt charger adaptor. since then, they have come down to $837.00
the guy asked what we were going to use it for and he said he did'nt think it would do it (power the aircon), but we said we'd buy it anyway, and as we all know, it does.:reye2
btw it was free freight to us....don't know about your situation.

Old 03-10-2003, 09:50 AM   #18

generator

I am being told that a Honda 2000 will not run the air on my soon to be 13 feet Scamp. I am in Florida, this is important to me.... I would like to (bolt) the gererator to the hitch in place of the gas tanks. I have a roof air unit, I believe it is a Coleman.... I need to know if bolting is a problem? I would go to a 3000 if necessary

Old 03-10-2003, 11:09 AM   #19

Hi Julie,

EU2000i works beautifully powering the Coleman Mach a/c on our 2002 Casita 17'. As soon as the a/c starts up, the eu2000i throttles way back. At AIBF last year neighbors couldn't believe it was running. Don't know what size/brand your a/c is, but the eu2000i should be a good solution. We don't try to use the microwave at the same time that the a/c is operating, but we use everything else at the same time with no problems.

Your safety chains (with a padlock) are good anchors for your generator. And yes, when you buy the gen, get the 12v. battery charging cable--it's only a $10 extra, that you might need some day.

The 2000 is not a heck of a lot heavier than the 1000. (Not the big jump like there is to the 3000.) I'd need either a dolly or a hernia belt with the 3000! And, INMO, it would be too heavy to mount on the front, considering optimum tongue weight. If I recall correctly, the umbilical cord to inter-connect two 1000's or two 2000's is pretty pricey. Many have successfully mounted the 2000 up front, and I may do that too some day. Besides, there's just no need to go to the 3000 in our-sized trailers unless you have another dedicated use, like powering a remote hunting cabin.

Old 03-21-2003, 01:21 PM   #20

gen.set.

Hi Julie...We have a 3000 and are very happy with our unit. Be very carefull before you make your choice which one to buy. Air Con. use's the most power it's going to during start up! Some A/C units use way more than others. On our stick built M/H I can't run the A/C with out 20 amps of power during start up. If I plug into the 15 amp. plug in with the M/H cord the breaker pop's after about 10 seconds of running the A/C. I have to plug into the 20 amp plug in to make it work. Might be because of the power converter/built in batt. charger ?...I do not know.In the new Honda sales flyer{Can.} it says that the 3000 can not run A/C but I Know it can on the 20 amp. plug.BTW Rick...The 2000 Honda is NOT listed in the new flyer! they dropped that model so getem now or don't getem at all. Hope this info. helps......Rick and Karen.