Get rid of the 110v cord - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2015, 07:13 AM   #1

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Get rid of the 110v cord

I'd like to get rid of the cord mess under the dinette in our Scamp. I've considered the obvious solution of a cord reel but lately I've thought it might be possible to completely eliminate the cord by switching to a external cord with a female plug in the side of the trailer. Has anyone done this?
Old 12-09-2015, 07:24 AM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
I did it and have been happy with the separate cord. I bought a kit off of amazon or somewhere that had all the parts. The only change to the kit was that I replaced a few screws with bolts since we have thin walled fiberglass trailers, but it worked out great.

FYI, with the size of the cord you are dealing with, I am not sure a cord reel would work well.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:29 AM   #3

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Eric, thanks for your reply. I agree with you regarding the cord reel in the space available. That's why I started having this idea. Glad it's been done already. I am not averse to charging into uncharted territory but since you've already led the way, I'll be changing this and salvaging the extra space under the dinette seat.

I just found this adapter on Amazon and have added it to my wish list for trailer parts. Excellent. Thanx again.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:38 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It's actually a very common mod. Of course, you still have to store the cord somewhere. Another reason a lot of people do it is to eliminate the cord port, which is vulnerable to rodent entry.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:39 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
I'd like to get rid of the cord mess under the dinette in our Scamp. I've considered the obvious solution of a cord reel but lately I've thought it might be possible to completely eliminate the cord by switching to a external cord with a female plug in the side of the trailer. Has anyone done this?
Lots of folks have (including moi), but more because of the mouse hole I think.

Here is one thread for your review:
Mouse Hole Conversion Plastic or Stainless ? | Scamp Owners International
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #6

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
It is quite common. Escape even offers it as an option on new trailers. Like most of "my" ideas, they were stolen liberally (or at least adapted) from the good people on this website who were generous enough to share with all of us. Enjoy!
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I just kept the cord really short, it pulls out of the trailer about 10 inches.
No tangled mess under the counter and the 14ga extension cord can be stored
in a myriad of places.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:00 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Male plug (Inlet) on side of trailer .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I recently installed a new integrated internally mounted 30 Amp Progressive Industries Surge Protector. I didn't want an external one, (read: Steal Me!) so I opted for a hard wired mount. It required a bit of modification to the electrical hatch area. That little all-but-useless dinky hatch had to go bye bye. It wasn't big enough to even get the surge protector in, much less room to do any wiring. I now have a wonderful new hatch which is more than twice as big. Installation was easy with a Roto-Zip to expand the existing cutout. Now I have surge protection and theft protection both. I installed the MARINCO 120V 30A 3-wire twist-lock male pronged shore power outlet to a spot over the wheel well. I mounted the remote readout for the surge protector under the side dinette on the toe board. Plenty visible when I need to see it, but not something that is going to annoy me while I'm trying to sleep, because it continuously flashes through its cycle of reading Voltage, Amperage Draw, Cycles (Hertz), and Error Code, which is normally "0".

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
JR Products ZE102-A Polar White Access Hatch Keylock Large RV Parts
Marinco 30 Amp Standard Shore Power Inlet | Shorepower
Attached Thumbnails
New Electrical Hatch3.JPG   New Electrical Hatch2.JPG  

New Electrical Hatch1.JPG   Surge Protector Remote.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I recently installed a new integrated internally mounted 30 Amp Progressive Industries Surge Protector..[/url]
Thats a very similar install that I documented in the thread on the other forum that I listed above (which is on a Scamp and not Casita).

One thing we have found however is that the internal Progressive Industries Surge Protector has a hum. its not loud and can really only be heard in the dead of night, but when I am sleeping with my head right over it, it is a little annoying. I tried to mount in different ways but no improvement.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #11

Washington
Registry
I'm not sure why you are experiencing any humming noise. I don't have any noise at all coming from mine, and my head is also right over it when I'm sleeping. You may want to give them a call and talk to one of their techs about it. It's not normal for them to hum.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #12

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
I, too, didn't like the "pull the cord out a hole" setup. At least 10 years ago I went with a marine shore power sealed inlet and 30' cord. The cord rotates a tenth of a turn onto the male side the plug and and then there's a larger threaded ring which screws down and seals the whole plug to the inlet. No more cold drafts or varmint worries. Of course, it's so sturdy now that I might pull the utility post out of the ground if I forgot to unhook. Being a marine duty cord, it's had been outside 124/7/365 for about 8 years with out deteriorating. I cut the cord, so to speak, last year by going completely solar but I still use it when I need AC.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
I'm not sure why you are experiencing any humming noise. I don't have any noise at all coming from mine, and my head is also right over it when I'm sleeping. You may want to give them a call and talk to one of their techs about it. It's not normal for them to hum.
OK, I just did that.

Bottom line is a little 60 cycle hum from the windings in the contactor (relay) is not unusual. Furthermore, the mounting surface can act as a sounding board, which I think, in the case of the Scamp's floor, is the case.

Some suggested solutions include mounting on rubber washers, which I tried, and / or mounting the contactor (inside the box) on rubber washers.

They did offer to send a new contactor, but I declined as it seems to be normal.

It is a very slight hum and no doubt some people are more susceptible to it than others. I'll bet if you take a stethoscope to the box you will hear it.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Everyone’s different, a fact that I’m almost always grateful for. I want it all onboard all the time. If I could sort through how to do it to my satisfaction, I’d probably put the water hose in a cubby somewhere too.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #15

Washington
Registry
I think I would try installing squishy rubber washers under the mounting screws. I agree that your plywood floor could possibly be contributing to magnifying the vibration noise. Worth a try, a few cheap grommets may solve your problem. Let us know if it works.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
OK, I just did that.

Bottom line is a little 60 cycle hum from the windings in the contactor (relay) is not unusual. Furthermore, the mounting surface can act as a sounding board, which I think, in the case of the Scamp's floor, is the case.

Some suggested solutions include mounting on rubber washers, which I tried, and / or mounting the contactor (inside the box) on rubber washers.

They did offer to send a new contactor, but I declined as it seems to be normal.

It is a very slight hum and no doubt some people are more susceptible to it than others. I'll bet if you take a stethoscope to the box you will hear it.
Another thing you can try is to unplug & replug the trailer. Sometimes the contractor will not seat properly & reconnecting can help.

As Gordon mentioned, Progressive is very good about sending a replacement contractor if the problem persists. You would have to switch the devices...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #17

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I am with Steve on this one.. I work part time at an RV dealership and have witnessed numerous folks come in to purchase replacement "detachable" power cords because their original "detachable" cord had been STOLEN.. They are made of copper and easy to trade for $$.. I am sticking with the "pull out cord" method because they appear to most folks to be harder to walk away with ;-)
Old 12-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
I think I would try installing squishy rubber washers under the mounting screws.

Thats what I was referring to when I said (in post #13):
Some suggested solutions include mounting on rubber washers, which I tried,

I also tried a small rubber mat and even temporarily 3 inch mattress topper foam, none of which made much difference.

Also the rig has been plugged in and out many times, the hum is still there.

But the hum is so slight I am not "going to lose any sleep about it." I just mentioned it so that buyers would not be surprised if they hear it.

As for cord theft.. the only difference is that the theft of the removable cord can be a spur of the moment theft where one would have to bring wire cutters to get your pull out cord. I hate the mouse hole so much I am willing to take a chance on theft.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #19

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
A detachable power cord can be stolen or left behind, as pointed out. The male connector attached to the trailer can get damaged and that whole approach seems expensive to me.

To avoid those drawbacks, I mounted a 5x5 fence post sleeve under the back of the Scamp and took the power cord straight down through the floor and into the 5x5 sleeve. Since the sleeve is below the frame and tied to it, there are about three inches of the power cord exposed, but protected by a piece of a rubber hose. When in use, the cord comes out of the end of the sleeve. When stowed, the cord is folded in three, the fold is held small with a velcro tape and all is shoved into the sleeve and closed. I can probably store a few other things in that fence post sleeve if needed. I hope my description is clear enough to be of some help. I don't remember if I have pictures.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I am really pleased with my shore power detachable cable. Details http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...etc-62768.html
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote