Goal Zero Batteries anyone? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 10:30 PM   #1

Name: Julie
Trailer: trail mite
Washington
Smile Goal Zero Batteries anyone?

Hi,
I have a 13ft 72 TrailMite and want a battery to charge 3 LED dome lights. I am considering all battery types and have looked at Goal Zero for their adaptability. To charge, you can plug them in a 110, car 12 volt, or solar panels. I have a propane stove and heater and don't need a lot of juice!
All advice is welcome! thanks!
jbenkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I looked up their web site. The smallest I looked at was the 150 at $199. That may be overkill for 3 LED fixtures but it provides a bunch of other flexibility including the inverter. The price is comparable to a similar inverter battery I bought 12 years ago and is still going strong (unlike all of the wet cell batteries I've replaced in t hat time). If you think you will use the extra capabilities, then go for it. To truly only power the LEDs, you might find something less expensive, possibly lithium.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:42 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You don't need to buy a 12v battery just to power a few LED lights. It is overkill for task.

If all I needed to power were some LED ceiling light fixtures I would take a different approach. I would replace those fixtures with battery operated LED units. Then I would get some NIMH batteries to put in them. Those batteries are rechargeable. I would buy enough batteries so that I always had a few extra fully charged ones on hand.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:48 PM   #4

Oregon
An option that the Van RV crowd are using is a DieHard Portable Power unit. They are very handy, it has an inverter built into it to power two 110v outlets. There are two USB outlets, it can be used as a jump starter for a car battery. There is a built in light in it. It also functions as an air compressor for filling your tires. You can charge the battery that is inside the unit with a cigarette lighter socket in your car, a solar panel or plugging it into a 120 wall outlet. The cost is a lot less than a Goal Zero and you get bonus functions from it. It will easily meet your need to power a few LED cabin lights.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07776PVH5
Old 09-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
NIMH batteries? Hi, K. Corbin--I didn't know the National Institute of Mental Health did batteries. Bet they help make you feel calm and secure.

8)

Seriously, what are NIMH batteries?

Kai

"K"
Old 09-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Nickel Metal Hydride, as in most rechargeable AAA, AA, etc. batteries these days, replacing the older NiCads.

Walt
Old 09-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
You don't need to buy a 12v battery just to power a few LED lights. It is overkill for task.

If all I needed to power were some LED ceiling light fixtures I would take a different approach. I would replace those fixtures with battery operated LED units. Then I would get some NIMH batteries to put in them. Those batteries are rechargeable. I would buy enough batteries so that I always had a few extra fully charged ones on hand.

You also don't have to run any wires!
Old 09-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #8

Registry
Walt P: thanks!

We set out several small LED battery-powered "puck" lights; I have my eye on some larger units that also run on batteries. They do pretty well and last longer than I expected. And--no wires, indeed.

Kai
"K"
Old 09-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #9

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
NIMH batteries? Hi, K. Corbin--I didn't know the National Institute of Mental Health did batteries. Bet they help make you feel calm and secure.

8)

Seriously, what are NIMH batteries?

Kai

"K"
You can buy them at Fred Meyers, Target, Wallmart, etc. Sometimes you can find the chargers for them in the electronics bins at Goodwill. You can buy extra NIMH batteries. They come in the standard sizes AAA, AA, C, D.

I have been using them for quite a few years now. They are in all my LED tap lights, in my remote controls, computer mice, etc. Save a lot of money versus buying non rechargeables.

NiMH Battery Charger Energizer Recharge Pro Charger
Old 09-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #10

Registry
We used to have a battery charger...oh, no! Yet another thing our son took once upon a time when he moved out--and I had forgotten about it completely. Good idea!

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Thanks.
Kai
Old 09-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
A mime is a terrible thing to waist!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #12

SW Virginia
I try to use only rechargeables these days, although there are some devices that do not like the lower cell voltage. Like my combination door locks.
I buy batteries and chargers from Rechargeable Batteries - All-Battery.com
They have a wide selection of very reliable batteries.

Walt
Old 09-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think there are a lot of chargers and batteries in junk drawers. The rechargeable batteries are 1.2 V and regular AAs are 1.5 V. It makes a difference to many devices.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #14

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
On my Compact Jr I built a box for a lawn mower battery which would run my lights and the smallest 12v fan I could find. I ran the fan all night for noise and air movement. I never had it run down,even on 2 week trips, but it was wired to charge off my t v when traveling.
I'm on my 3 jump battery like others have described. I wouldn't be without one for emergency. I dont leave it in camp. If you get one make sure it can be charged from a cigarette lighter type auxiliary plug. The one I have now is a Stanley and I have to use an inverter to charge it even though it has an inverter built in. Still an excellent unit. My next will be a lithium type because of size and weight.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #15

Name: Julie
Trailer: trail mite
Washington
Smile Skip the battery!

Thanks everyone for your replies!
This week at Home Depot, I found an LED task light that is USB rechargeable. It comes with magnets and 3M adhesive. It attaches great under my stove hood and has three brightness settings. I love it and looking for similar puck lights. I have decided not to go with the battery since I really don't have that many power needs.
thanks again!
Julie
jbenkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #16

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenkovich View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies!
This week at Home Depot, I found an LED task light that is USB rechargeable. It comes with magnets and 3M adhesive. It attaches great under my stove hood and has three brightness settings. I love it and looking for similar puck lights. I have decided not to go with the battery since I really don't have that many power needs.
thanks again!
Julie
Sounds useful. Got a link?
Forgoing the battery sounds like a good solution, too.

Walt
Old 09-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #17

Registry
Julie, glad you found one you really like! Sounds super.

Kai
"K"