Green energy - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #1

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
Massachusetts
Anyone seen this? I saw it on an HGTV show and looked it up. I am not wild about the gas generators and this seems like a viable alternative especially if you use it in conjunction with solar panels. Granted you are not going to be able to run TV's microwaves and such with it but if you are off grid you can certianly run your lights and water pump with it.

http://www.freeplayenergy.com/product/weza

I found it here on sale for $199
http://batteryjunction.com/frwefrfopoge.html
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
thats cool but i think its way to pricey!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #3

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Don't you love manufacturers statements like this one? "Charging to full power takes modest dedication."

Translation, you better get your kids or grandkids to pump this thing to prevent a heart attack.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #4

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Altho I can see a rare emergency where one would need to resort to running on a treadmill like that, the key word is "rare".

We all travel with a giant emergency generator for use when we need short bursts of energy, but often over look it. It's our cars. You can plug junk into your ciggy socket to recharge, or even hook up to your trailer and run a bit for short charges when needed. Running out of gas.. well, that would be the rarity where the freeplay would come in handy.

The Freeplay has a 7aH battery which could be used to run lights (And not much else, especially if you have incandescents) for a short bit, but ... so will a Jump it, which often have a larger battery.. and hopefully you have one already and keep it charged.

A Jump it will do all that this will, (Rechargeable by solar or car etc) except the human charging part, at a much lesser price.

I DO like this product Dynamo charger from Freeplay, however. It seems to be priced nicely and seems a bit better sized for the items we carry with us.

I think I will pop by REI tonite and pick one up. For 30 bones, it seems a reasonable thing to experiment with.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
You know, I often thought that if you made all computer games only operable by "self generated" power, treadmill, stationary bike, stairmaster, or some such appliance, it would solve the problem of childhood obesity.

It might even work on adult obesity if we couldn't watch Soap Operas without peddling away on our bikes to create electrical energy to run our TVs.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Has anyone considered using a wind driven generator to recharge batteries?
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #7

West Coast USA
Registry
I have done some half hearted looking and so far have only been able to determine that such a system would not be feasible because of the physical size required. Those turbines take a LOT to be turned, and structure for the blades has to be pretty substantial.

There are RV systems, but they are very expensive and have all looked cumbersome.

Like I mentioned, my research has only been half hearted, mostly curiosity and I haven't drilled down to exact nuts and bolts.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #8

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
I have done some half hearted looking and so far have only been able to determine that such a system would not be feasible because of the physical size required. Those turbines take a LOT to be turned, and structure for the blades has to be pretty substantial.

There are RV systems, but they are very expensive and have all looked cumbersome.

Like I mentioned, my research has only been half hearted, mostly curiosity and I haven't drilled down to exact nuts and bolts.

Wind generator at West Marine for $1115

Lots of sailboats use 'em! While they're normally a permanent installation on the stern of a sailboat, there's no reason you couldn't mount one on a portable tripod mast or some other such fixture.

Roger
Old 03-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #9

West Coast USA
Registry
the wind at the stern of a sailboat is probably a little more substantial than it would be in your average campsite.

I am not sure it would be more practical than solar. Sunlight is *usually* a constant. Wind.. on land anyway, is unpredictable.

That is an interesting system tho, much smaller than what I have seen in the past. Might be worth looking at further
Old 03-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I tried a wind generator for a while but it was a bit too cumbersome, even just the smaller one on the bumper. Plus, I kept having to plan my trips to avoid low bridges.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IA_WindScamp02.jpg.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	12085

Old 03-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #11

West Coast USA
Registry
Old 03-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #12

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
[quote]I tried a wind generator for a while but it was a bit too cumbersome, even just the smaller one on the bumper. Plus, I kept having to plan my trips to avoid low bridges.

Attachment 12085

So, Pete... did you use the chimney foundation when you installed the wind generators?

Roger
Old 03-17-2008, 09:09 PM   #13

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
. . . f you use it in conjunction with solar panels. Granted you are not going to be able to run TV's microwaves and such with it but if you are off grid you can certianly run your lights and water pump with it . . .
If you're going solar anyway and are willing to forgo the microwave and TV, all you need to do is convert your lighting to LEDs and installing a hand-pump at the sink you'll never an extra generator.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #14

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
If you're going solar anyway and are willing to forgo the microwave and TV, all you need to do is convert your lighting to LEDs and installing a hand-pump at the sink you'll never an extra generator.

If you move every two or three days you might not even need the LEDs and Solar Panel. Let the Tow Vehicle charge line keep the battery charged.

Tags
solar, solar power