Ground wire enters box on frame that can't be opened? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

Name: L
Trailer: Jayco
Iowa
Ground wire enters box on frame that can't be opened?

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me. I have an 1981 Jayco travel trailer and my battery ground wire is heating up, which I'm assuming means it is not attached to the frame?

I followed the ground from the negative battery terminal to the frame and it appears to eater a 2x3" plastic box with a brand name on it that I can't remember that appears that I can't open in any way.

Any idea how to deal with this? Also, would lack of a ground on the battery cause nothing in the trailer to work when running on the battery? I'm assuming so.

Another unrelated question -- My trailer routinely blows the 30 amp fuse. Any idea why?
lynneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
No wire in your trailer should get warm/hot and blowing a 30 amp fuse repeatably both indicate you have something shorted out.

First how about a picture of that "Box" you can't open?
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
2 x 3 inch plastic box? Does it say Bargman Breakaway Switch?
Old 05-22-2015, 02:15 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
While your electrical problems might be "similar" to what is found in molded fiberglass trailers, we have a bit of a different requirement about maintaining grounds, we need a lot more of them.

At the bottom of this window is a listing of our sister RV groups, (click on the RV & Travel Trailer tab) including one specifically for Jayco owners, that may have a better knowledge of the specific problems you are having.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote