Help with installing Flush Mount USB w/Voltmeter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp
MN
Help with installing Flush Mount USB w/Voltmeter

Excuse my electrical Ignorance. Looking for some guidance adding some USB/12v Plugs in our Scamp upper cabinet above the sink. I want to install (Shown Below) the USB/Voltmeter on the lower right side corner (to check volts from the door opening), and the unit with the USB and Cig plug on left side end to maybe attach a 12V TV. Both have a switch to turn off for battery drain. Can I simply splice into the factory 12V factory light lines on both sides of that cabinet? Or would something like a small TV or fast charging ipad be to much for those wires?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 2.57.09 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 2.59.39 PM.jpg  

XBeatzX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If I were doing this in my camper, I'd use the existing wires to the light near the sink.

You should have no issues doing this.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I just put one in my Bigfoot and took the power from a wire that runs out to the light outside lighting up the hitch area. I don't ever use that light so it's no problem. Are your bulbs in that light converted to LED yet? If not I would switch to LED and not give it another thought.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:45 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Tapping into existing wires might work, but unless you do a lot of work its hard to know how it is wired and what else is on that circuit so its a gamble. The USB charger is not much more load but the cigarette plug can be a very large load. Chances are that the worst case is that you might blow fuse(s).

But if you have a power distribution panel / fuse block with one or more spare slots, then IMHO the best option is to create new circuit(s) for your custom add-ons. That way you know what the max load will be on that circuit, what wire gauge you will have, etc. This is the way I did it.

Specifics are dependent on your rig, but in my case the power panel and converter are separate units. First disconnect all power sources, shore power, battery and tug. Remove the power panel / fuse block and connect marine grade white wire to the ground (negative) bar, and black marine grade wire to an unused fuse slot (on the fused side of course). Wire gauge depends on the rating of the panel, the expected load, the wire length, etc. The cigarette plug will be the largest potential load so figure the max rating of it plus the power use of the USB / meter combined. 12 gauge might be what you come up with.

Connect wires to the devices and choose an appropriate fuse based on the devices, wire rating, etc. If in doubt, go with a lower rated fuse. Maybe 10 amp but thats just a SWAG since we don’t know the specs.

The nice thing about adding a circuit like this is that if you do blow the fuse, it will not affect the rest of your 12 volt system in the camper. If instead you tap into existing wiring and overload the circuit then when the fuse blows you will also lose whatever else is on the circuit.

Edit: Also note that the volt meter is of limited value for determining state of battery charge. The true voltage at the battery will always be at least a little different, and under load, lower than when the battery is at rest - maybe a lot lower. And I have found those meters to always be off by .1 to .2 volt or so, which is not trivial when judging state of battery charge. And I hope that switch turns off the meter also... the light can keep one awake at night
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:16 AM   #5

MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Tapping into existing wires might work, but unless you do a lot of work its hard to know how it is wired and what else is on that circuit so its a gamble. The USB charger is not much more load but the cigarette plug can be a very large load. Chances are that the worst case is that you might blow fuse(s).

But if you have a power distribution panel / fuse block with one or more spare slots, then IMHO the best option is to create new circuit(s) for your custom add-ons. That way you know what the max load will be on that circuit, what wire gauge you will have, etc. This is the way I did it.

Specifics are dependent on your rig, but in my case the power panel and converter are separate units. First disconnect all power sources, shore power, battery and tug. Remove the power panel / fuse block and connect marine grade white wire to the ground (negative) bar, and black marine grade wire to an unused fuse slot (on the fused side of course). Wire gauge depends on the rating of the panel, the expected load, the wire length, etc. The cigarette plug will be the largest potential load so figure the max rating of it plus the power use of the USB / meter combined. 12 gauge might be what you come up with.

Connect wires to the devices and choose an appropriate fuse based on the devices, wire rating, etc. If in doubt, go with a lower rated fuse. Maybe 10 amp but thats just a SWAG since we don’t know the specs.

The nice thing about adding a circuit like this is that if you do blow the fuse, it will not affect the rest of your 12 volt system in the camper. If instead you tap into existing wiring and overload the circuit then when the fuse blows you will also lose whatever else is on the circuit.
Thanks for the info. My fuse panel and converter (one unit I believe) are just below the rear bench. Since I only have 2 12V Lights, 1 110 Light, 1 110 Outlet, Furnace and Fridge. I believe I only saw 2 fuses total. Getting wires behind that Rat Fur might be a paint, but may have to do it. The only thing I plan on plugging into that Cig style adapter is a 12-15" TV. Do those draw pretty heavy?
Old 05-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBeatzX View Post
...The only thing I plan on plugging into that Cig style adapter is a 12-15" TV. Do those draw pretty heavy?
Prob not.. mine was about one amp (12-14 watts) IIRC.. the wattage should be listed on the TV.
But whatever you plan to do..someone someday may plug in something like a 12 volt hair dryer - 14 amps = fuse blown.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #7

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
fuses....

fuses are there to blow!....i'd use existing wires to another appliance (given your "ratfur" challenge) and see if the fuse blows..if not you're good. As someone mentioned picking a circuit you're not likely to use while watching your tv would be a good idea if you can manage it.

the voltmeter will give you information you didn't have before..but not much.
With only one number after the decimal point...you only have 4 points of information .6 fully charge down to .2 the point at which you should not use any more power because you will be damaging/shortening your battery's life.

so when you wake up in the morning, nothing running, you will get an accurate read on how much power you got left "in your tank". When your on board charger comes on the reading should be around 13.8V (over 14 would be better but that's a longer story). When your solar panel is connected (through a charge controller) voltage will vary...it'll be 14.something at times and lower other times...when it stays steady at 13.3 it should mean your battery is fully charged and controller is on "maintenance mode".....

when you turn on an appliance the voltage readout will drop dramatically...you might see 11.something even....but that is not a "reading".....a voltmeter will only be useful for battery state of charge reading when battery was "at rest" (no draw) for a period of time.

for all of the above I'm a big fan of four digit panel voltmeters....you can get a really good "feel" for how much you're using..and/or how fast you're putting it back in.

good luck and have fun
Attached Thumbnails
eproject8.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:49 AM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
so when you wake up in the morning, nothing running, you will get an accurate read on how much power you got left "in your tank".

......a voltmeter will only be useful for battery state of charge reading when battery was "at rest" (no draw) for a period of time...
Yes that is why the value of the voltmeter is limited. When you wake in the morning the reading might be helpful if nothing was on AND the converter / charger were not charging for a few hours. How likely is that?

But IMHO a better device for knowing the battery state of charge is a recording watt meter, which has been discussed many times in this forum. The hydrometer is best but a it is PIA - the watt meter is so easy.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:04 AM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
agree...

yeah I agree with all that....

"When you wake in the morning the reading might be helpful if nothing was on AND the converter / charger were not charging for a few hours. How likely is that?".....with me, camping unplugged, that happens ALL the time in the summer

watt meters are great...it depends how much information you want or need...

as an example, in my trailer given the use/storage/charging equation my batteries hardly ever drop below 12.4V so I decided I didn't need more detailed info. The OP has very little use other than he wanted to plug a tv in so I figure his situation is probably sort of similar.

now with my little boat project....use is high, storage is low and so is the charging....so a watt meter is essential.....otherwise I'm ROWING.....LOL
Attached Thumbnails
eproject2.jpg   elecb3.jpg  

elecb5.jpg   elecb7.jpg  

Old 05-25-2019, 07:10 AM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
picture posting problem it seems

try again??? humm...no go again (????)

Click image for larger version

Name:	eproject2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	129535

Name:	elecb3.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	129536

Name:	elecb5.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	129537

Name:	elecb7.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	129538
Old 05-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #11

MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
fuses are there to blow!....i'd use existing wires to another appliance (given your "ratfur" challenge) and see if the fuse blows..if not you're good. As someone mentioned picking a circuit you're not likely to use while watching your tv would be a good idea if you can manage it.

the voltmeter will give you information you didn't have before..but not much.
With only one number after the decimal point...you only have 4 points of information .6 fully charge down to .2 the point at which you should not use any more power because you will be damaging/shortening your battery's life.

so when you wake up in the morning, nothing running, you will get an accurate read on how much power you got left "in your tank". When your on board charger comes on the reading should be around 13.8V (over 14 would be better but that's a longer story). When your solar panel is connected (through a charge controller) voltage will vary...it'll be 14.something at times and lower other times...when it stays steady at 13.3 it should mean your battery is fully charged and controller is on "maintenance mode".....

when you turn on an appliance the voltage readout will drop dramatically...you might see 11.something even....but that is not a "reading".....a voltmeter will only be useful for battery state of charge reading when battery was "at rest" (no draw) for a period of time.

for all of the above I'm a big fan of four digit panel voltmeters....you can get a really good "feel" for how much you're using..and/or how fast you're putting it back in.

good luck and have fun

I didn't even think of that. Your rite, .xx display is a must. If they don't make one with a built in USB, I'll just use a separate unit like have shown. Just trying to keep drilling into the Fiberglass at a minimum if possible. Thanks much for the info, this is the kind of feedback I am looking for.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
if you want to keep the drilling into the fiberglass to a minimum make a larger cutout and mount a removable panel onto it. That way you can add new devices onto that panel or even change out that removable panel face if you decide on new equipment and a new design layout.

So one big hole to be cut just one time. All the little holes go into the removable panel face. My trailer situation is a little different but that is essentially how it is handled except I have a couple of panels. I used a material, acetal/Delrin plastic, to make the panels that I can laser cut openings into that match the size needed for the different ports and displays. It all looks professional instead of an owner drilling a bunch of small holes here and there.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
great minds think alike....lol

yeah that's what I did too....with a piece of teak plywood....needed a larger opening to reach back there...easier to connect everything too

pictures seem to be working again....
Attached Thumbnails
eproject2.jpg   eproject7b.jpg  

elecb3.jpg   elecb5.jpg  

elecb7.jpg  
Old 05-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This is the third time you've posted those pix. I'm seeing them all.
Perhaps you're not waiting long enough.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #15

British Columbia
Registry
ooops...

I guess the site "fixed itself"....sorry for triple posting pictures
Old 05-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #16

British Columbia
Registry
my guess is....

the site had a "glitch" early this morning (pictures were not displaying...even after upload AND posting)....and then it recovered....
Old 05-30-2019, 08:13 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
There are no "volts from the door opening" , so you don't need the voltmeter. Couldn't resist.
J. Sully is offline   Reply With Quote