helpl in purchasing voltmeter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2006, 09:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Hi everyone,
We just purchased a new (used) trailer, a 25'BigFoot. We have been buying the required extra stuff (sewer hoses, water hose, etc). The previous owner (who put in a LOT of extra modifications to the trailer, especially those for boondocking) recommended that we get a good voltmeter. We looked at the digital voltmeters at Home Depot today, and found too many to pick from - with prices of $20, $25, $39 and $50. The differences between them of course were what it would read and what the range of that was. Can you recommend which of the voltmeters we would find most useful in using our trailer, i.e. what features would be the ones to look for. We feel that we will pay more to get the features we would use, but don't want overkill. (We will be both boondocking and using hookups in RV campgounds.)

Thanks,
Nancy
Nancy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Nancy,
There is no need to spend a fortune for a voltmeter. There are many voltmeters available, ranging from $5 to $20, that should do the job.

cyberguys.com

jcwhitney.com
Attached Images

Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:18 AM   #3
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
While I like the ease of use that the digital plug in offeres, I have not always found it reliable. I have a small digital volt meter like this one at Nortern Tool.
Attached Images

Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:32 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
What you need is a voltmeter mounted in the trailerso you can detyermine the battery condition without opening up the cab or whatever(put a switch so its not on all the time

Quote:
Hi everyone,
We just purchased a new (used) trailer, a 25'BigFoot. We have been buying the required extra stuff (sewer hoses, water hose, etc). The previous owner (who put in a LOT of extra modifications to the trailer, especially those for boondocking) recommended that we get a good voltmeter. We looked at the digital voltmeters at Home Depot today, and found too many to pick from - with prices of $20, $25, $39 and $50. The differences between them of course were what it would read and what the range of that was. Can you recommend which of the voltmeters we would find most useful in using our trailer, i.e. what features would be the ones to look for. We feel that we will pay more to get the features we would use, but don't want overkill. (We will be both boondocking and using hookups in RV campgounds.)

Thanks,
Nancy
bdiscount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:38 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 16 ft
Nancy not the cheapest but an excellent choice if you really want to know what's going on in your battery. The Link-10, 20 formally known as the e-meter. Overkill for most but if you plan a solar power system or spend a lot of time dry camping, these are like a fuel gauge for your battery with many features. There is a description of these meters in the Molded Fiberglass Solar tutorials. I have included a link to the manufactuer and also a very well written article on installing a solar power system complete with wire diagrams etc. The author explains how to build a cheap e-meter for $30.

www.xantrex.com

excellent article for solar power

http://bart.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volta.htm
Attached Thumbnails
link20_800x600.jpg  
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Even the least expensive meter, like the Cyberguys one for $5, will have all the features you will need: DC and AC voltage and Ohms (resistance). The last one I bought was from Harbor Freight for $5 also.

The plug-in 12v meter, as shown from JCWhitney or like the more common one below (ebay), is also handy for quick checking as sticking the probes into a 12v plug, aka cigar lighter, can be tricky.
Attached Images

Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your replies. You just saved me some money!

Nancy
Old 04-12-2006, 01:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I've been using the one that Patrick showed for years and found it to be extremely reliable.

When it comes to AC / DC / Ohms, I find that I like the old analog best because it shows continuity quick.

Radio Shack is a close place to get any of the kind mentioned.

If you want an expensive one at a low price let me know and I will quote you a price from the Pawn Shop that I manage.

DR
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

The one as Patrick shows is great for what most folks need.. a simple readout of battery status.

If you are asking about other types, then you probably do not have (Or even need LOL!) an engineering degree.. thus, the simple ones mentioned here will do just fine.

One that does AC/DC and "ohms"/continuity is all you need.

If you insist on spending the cash.. anything with a "Fluke" logo on it will be extremely reliable and durable, but I just don't think you need to spend that kind of moolla.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:

The one as Patrick shows is great for what most folks need.. a simple readout of battery status.
That's the one I have and use in my trailer.

Quote:
If you are asking about other types, then you probably do not have (Or even need LOL!) an engineering degree.. thus, the simple ones mentioned here will do just fine.
EE?, that must be me.
One that does AC/DC and "ohms"/continuity is all you need.

For around home and trailer for electrical trouble shooting a cheap Rat Shack will do plenty good. That's what I use. If I remember correctly I paid about $12.00 for it. Purchase was over 15 years ago and I'm still using it.

Quote:
If you insist on spending the cash.. anything with a "Fluke" logo on it will be extremely reliable and durable, but I just don't think you need to spend that kind of moolla.
Unless you have that EE Gina refered to and are going to do some serious electronic, (note: electronic not electrical) work forget the Fluke or the Tek, or any other professional meters.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
If I remember correctly I paid about $12.00 for it.
Big spender!!!!

I think the "real" voltmeter I have it my trailer for other troubleshooting needs was about...

6 bucks
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:19 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Big spender!!!!
I think the "real" voltmeter I have it my trailer for other troubleshooting needs was about...
6 bucks
Guess I did over spend..
Old 04-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I spent way too much and installed a digital automotive voltmeter in my Scamp. As it turns out, it is not accurate; it reads about 0.4 volts lower than actual voltage. It does look neat, however. Read all about it on my web site.

-- Dan Meyer
Attached Thumbnails
temp.jpg  
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #14

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Here's a link to All Electronics. Most of their stuff is surplus, but I've had good luck with them.

Name:   PM_21.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  5.3 KB

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item...0_V_SCALE_.html

Here's another link to an LED voltage monitor kit. It's around $18.00 and gives a quick idea of battery condition.
http://www.montek.com/cart/catalog/Battery...or-p-26997.html

Name:   t_26997.gif
Views: 37
Size:  6.1 KB

I Hope this helps.
Dan M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
Been looking into monitors as well. Voltage is been covered pretty well here. Do any of you monitor AMPs as well or feel there is a need? I had been in touch with All Electronics (as Dan referenced) and they said their meter can be configured to monitor voltage and amps via a switch. There are a few other parts of course but before diving into yet another project I was just wondering about the value of monitoring amps as well as volts.

About 95% of our trips are boondocking so batt life is critical.
Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2003 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe and 1989 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Talking

Harbor freight has a digital multi-meter that they put on sale quite often for $2.99

If you watch thier sale fliers you can get one quite cheeply.

Harv in Colo.
Harvey Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:39 PM   #17

Thanks everyone, this was lots of help.

nancy