Holy Cracked Battery Box Batman! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Holy Cracked Battery Box Batman!

I was walking around the trailer doing a visual check before heading out to take the trailer in for some maintenance (getting the wheel bearings re-packed) and noticed something black hanging down from the back bumper.

I looked and it was my battery - half-way out of the battery box! One end of the battery box had totally broken out.

I think this happened because I've been running a group 24 battery in the group 27 box - since the battery is a little smaller, it's entire weight is on the plastic bottom of the box - not reaching all the way to the metal 'shelves' that support the battery box. I'm thinking that I could get a welder to add a metal strip under the battery box to help support the battery.

Of course, the real solution is to get a group 27 battery (the RV guy who replaced my battery last time didn't happen to mention that he was putting in a smaller one - doh!) but that will have to wait awhile.

I'm SO glad I took that look around the trailer - I don't think the battery would have lasted even the short little trip I had planned.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I do a walk around before starting out on any trip, checking lights, tires, hitch, bike rack, etc., and at every stop I make also. If the battery is smaller than the box, there needs to be some means to keep it from moving around in there. A full mounting plate is a good idea too.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
........If the battery is smaller than the box, there needs to be some means to keep it from moving around in there. A full mounting plate is a good idea too.

Right, batteries really need to be mounted down. The slamming is hard on the innards.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
And in this case it was hard on the box too!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
And in this case it was hard on the box too!
Ah.........yea!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
All you have to do is place a piece of wood in the battery box bottom, it will spread the weight a lot easier than welding. Get a new group 27 box and install the wood, after drilling some small holes in the box bottom for drainage. You can then attach the box to the frame thru the wood, it should be secure. Then when you get a new battery, you will be set.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery