Honda 2200 Generator Safety Recall Getting Done? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD 17'
Michigan
Exclamation Honda 2200 Generator Safety Recall Getting Done?

Anyone else still waiting for their Honda 2200 generator to have the safety recall performed? Sevice centers are losing face because parts are not coming in the quantity needed to do the number of repairs lining up. My local service center has missed the promised repair date because the parts just didn't arrive. Levi, the Honda Support Center Rep, could not tell me when my dealer can get the needed part. I would highly recommend looking at a different brand of generator if you are contemplating a small generator. I'm thinking no sense in spending big bucks for a Honda that must sit for months on a service center shelf when repairs are needed.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...8%20Poster.pdf

IBUPNORTH
ibupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard Layout 6
Illinois
I was unaware of the recall. Thanks for posting. Hope you get yours fixed soon. I'll have to check my serial number.
DLDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I was at a Honda dealer today, they said all the new ones on the shelf had been certified as “safe”. I did not Ask about recall times because I do not have one.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #4

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Honda recall

All of our Hondas at my dealership in Mississauga Ontario had the parts ordered in a changed in one week. O-ring/ fuel petcock issue.
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #5

Michigan
I just feel that Honda has not handled this recall well. Maybe it's because of our small northern market that the dealer can't get parts. I don't know but the off-grid UP of Michigan camping I had planned six months ago has been shelved unless I purchase another generator or I go solar. I would be concerned with solar in the big woods and shorter daylight period in the spring. But since we're into May now, I might give solar a try.

For what it's worth, I found a Honda memo that said they should be able to ship enough repair parts to keep up with demand by the end of May. See below link.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...rts-letter.pdf

IBUPNORTH
Old 05-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #6

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
I had no problem at all. I was notified by Honda via mail and called my LOCAL dealer (Not a big box) and they emailed me when I could bring it in for the warranty work. I was told it was a supplier to Honda that used incorrect grip length screws to attach the petcock assy and it may pose a leaking issue. It took all of 30 minutes to do the change.
I do buisiness with my locally owned and family run shops for this very reason - I want them to be there when I need them.
Cheers
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #7

Michigan
The closest authorized repair site near me is a John Deere dealer that happens to also sell Honda generators. As much as I like to keep my business local, if I don't hear anything next week I will call some of the larger service centers downstate to see if they have the parts. Response from some of the Facebook RV websites I mentioned this on are running about 60% repaired while the remainder wait like me.

Well, no sense fretting about Honda generators. I'm going to look at a solar solution so this situation won't happen again.

IBUPNORTH
Old 05-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #8

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibupnorth View Post
Anyone else still waiting for their Honda 2200 generator to have the safety recall performed? Sevice centers are losing face because parts are not coming in the quantity needed to do the number of repairs lining up. My local service center has missed the promised repair date because the parts just didn't arrive. Levi, the Honda Support Center Rep, could not tell me when my dealer can get the needed part. I would highly recommend looking at a different brand of generator if you are contemplating a small generator. I'm thinking no sense in spending big bucks for a Honda that must sit for months on a service center shelf when repairs are needed.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...8%20Poster.pdf
Hi Jeff,
Is the Honda 2200 the right size generator to use for air conditioner on Casita?
Bob
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #9

Name: Robert
Trailer: Casita
Washington
FWIW, consider this an opportunity to justify converting your generator to propane. I converted my Honda 2000 propane and provided a quick disconnect to my Casita’s system. No fuel can to carry, no gummy carburetor, greatly reduced carbon monoxide risk, and since, in my experience, the two propane tanks on my Casita lasted a long, long time it just made sense to start using that propane. All went well until the 85 yr old drunk pulled out in front of me and totaled my 6 month old Santa Fe and my Casita��. I still use the generator for home power outages.
RockyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #10

Name: Joe
Trailer: inTech Sol
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBob View Post
FWIW, consider this an opportunity to justify converting your generator to propane. I converted my Honda 2000 propane and provided a quick disconnect to my Casita’s system. No fuel can to carry, no gummy carburetor, greatly reduced carbon monoxide risk, and since, in my experience, the two propane tanks on my Casita lasted a long, long time it just made sense to start using that propane. All went well until the 85 yr old drunk pulled out in front of me and totaled my 6 month old Santa Fe and my Casita��. I still use the generator for home power outages.
Was the conversion hard? I watched the YouTube video And it looked more complicated than I might want to try, especially the hole drilling. Is that bit attachment included in the propane conversion kit or do you need to purchase that separately?
LawlessFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:27 PM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawlessFly View Post
Did you do the conversion, any issues? I watched the video on YouTube and it seemed a little more than I might want to attempt, especially drilling the holes. Looked like you needed a special drill attachment.
Actually I bought a setup from someone who’d already converted a generator. I received a generator side panel with stuff attached and as I recall I just had to swap out the carburetor and attach some hoses.
Looking at it now, the 3 holes drilled into the red cover for a hose and two fasteners wouldn’t be difficult and swapping the carburetor was fairly easy. I wonder if you’re looking at a different conversion than mine. I’ve got pictures of your interested
RockyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #12

Name: Joe
Trailer: inTech Sol
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBob View Post
Actually I bought a setup from someone who’d already converted a generator. I received a generator side panel with stuff attached and as I recall I just had to swap out the carburetor and attach some hoses.
Looking at it now, the 3 holes drilled into the red cover for a hose and two fasteners wouldn’t be difficult and swapping the carburetor was fairly easy. I wonder if you’re looking at a different conversion than mine. I’ve got pictures of your interested
https://youtu.be/Ewb-f_ZUL9k

Looks like with the Honda 2200 there is just two holes with this kit. It has a quick connect which is nice. Amazon sells the kit which is approximately $250 for the 2200i which I have. Sounds like you have the 2000i which is a different setup. Expensive but would really be nice since it’s easily switched from propane to gas. The 2200 has a different shut off so you can run the gas out of the carb.
LawlessFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:40 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
It looks like there's another recent recall.

Link: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2020/am...d-burn-hazards
Name of product: Honda EB2200i, EU2200i, EU2200i Companion and EU2200i Camo Portable Generators

Hazard: The portable generator’s inverter assembly can short circuit with the presence of salt water. This causes the unit to smoke or catch fire, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers.

Remedy: Repair

Recall date: March 17, 2020

Units: About 340,000 (about 200,000 units were previously recalled in 2019)

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator