Honda EU2200I (companion) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #1

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Honda EU2200I (companion)

I am looking at purchasing a Honda EU2200 for use with my Scamp 19. I am leaning toward the companion model, which gets rid of the the 12VDC output and adds a 30 amp plug for RV use. Anyone have any experience with the new models or comparisons of a similar set-up with the older models? Am I losing anything I will need in the 12VDC output?
JBjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
The 30 amp receptacle on the companion model won't give you 30 amps unless it's connected to another eu2200i regular model with a parallel cable. The companion is just that - a companion for an eu2200i. Unless you're getting both, I'd probably just stick with the standard model. It's a hundred bucks less, and two 20 amp plugs work fine.

As for the DC output, it's unregulated with about 8.3 amps max output. That output varies with the speed of the motor. Not a good way to charge batteries, because it will be slow and insufficient voltage to charge them correctly. Although, it does work in a pinch.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #3

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
The 30 amp receptacle on the companion model won't give you 30 amps unless it's connected to another eu2200i regular model with a parallel cable. The companion is just that - a companion for an eu2200i. Unless you're getting both, I'd probably just stick with the standard model. It's a hundred bucks less, and two 20 amp plugs work fine.
Thank you.
JBjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
And the 30 amp receptacle on the gen is not the same as the RV plug anyway. Just pick up a 30-20 conversion cord and go with the standard EU. I am very happy with mine. Have used it a lot camping and through three hurricanes (so far).
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:12 PM   #5

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Honda

Check out the equivelent brands at Harbour Freight, close to half the price of a Honda and I've heard good things about them.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
I've heard good things about them.
Yup. You can hear clear across the campground.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #7

North Carolina
Honda

Evidently you have not checked out the other brand inverter generators They are as quite as Hondas.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #8

They are as quiet as Honda, when they are out of operation while you search the world for parts.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #9

North Carolina
Honda

Sounds like you have personal experiennce with them.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
Sounds like you have personal experiennce with them.
Nope. I've just read threads here and on the Escape Forum for ten years.
I bought a Honda 1000 and wish I had spent the money on solar instead.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:15 AM   #11

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
But they are not "Hondas". I have two of the 2000s. One with 2000 hours and one with with a little over 700 hours. Sort of like the John Deere, Hard to beat a Honda. Sometimes it just pay to shell out a little more for quality. I don't always do that but am glad I did this time. I bought the one with 2000 hrs. back in 2002.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Hard to beat a Honda. Sometimes it just pay to shell out a little more for quality.
+ 10 on that Dick. Now if Honda would just put a fuel shut off valve on the 2000.........
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #13

You can just close the valve on the fuel filler cap ( I assume it has that ? ). Of course, it will take about half and hour for the carb to run dry.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:02 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
I have had both the Honda and the Harbour freight as well as a Yamaha! I have to say, the Harbour Freight is doing everything the Honada did and I have used mine extensively! I can't tell a difference in sound level either. Yes, I love Honda products, I have had their motorcycles, ATVs, snow blower and lawn mower, fantastic products, BUT, prices are rediculous!!
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
h/f gens

h/f has them listed for 499.00 now if they would just take my 25% off coupon I might just bite!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
I have had both the Honda and the Harbour freight as well as a Yamaha! I have to say, the Harbour Freight is doing everything the Honada did and I have used mine extensively! I can't tell a difference in sound level either. Yes, I love Honda products, I have had their motorcycles, ATVs, snow blower and lawn mower, fantastic products, BUT, prices are rediculous!!
Prices may be ridiculous and you haven't had any problems yet, but if you do trying to get repair or parts could get iffy in a hurry. I have seen at least two "knock off" brand mopeds that friends have purchased develop a problem and had to junked rather than repaired. I would suspect the generators were designed to be chucked not repaired like the mopeds. They saved a little and ended up spending a lot. Take $499 x 2 with no jerking around to fix or replace and you got yourself a Honda. I got so many red things in my garage I can't count them all off hand. Fantastic engineering and great value in my opinion. Last thing I want to worry about when I really need it is a generator.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #17

My brother-in-law sells BBQs as well as gas fireplaces, etc.
Constant stream of people coming in who bought some cheap BBQ at a big box store. They are looking for parts. Big box store where they bought the Q doesn't carry parts and nobody that sells good BBQs stocks parts for crap BBQs.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:32 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You can just close the valve on the fuel filler cap ( I assume it has that ? ). Of course, it will take about half and hour for the carb to run dry.
That will stop it Glenn but it's due to an air lock. I've had mine shut down a couple times from not opening it up. Soon as I opened it and pulled the rope it started right up as it still had plenty of gas in the carb. A real fuel shut off, like SOBs have, would help with gum up issues with gens that don't get much use. There is a screw you can open on the 2000 to drain the carb but it's a PITA.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My brother-in-law sells BBQs as well as gas fireplaces, etc.
Constant stream of people coming in who bought some cheap BBQ at a big box store. They are looking for parts. Big box store where they bought the Q doesn't carry parts and nobody that sells good BBQs stocks parts for crap BBQs.
Makes me laugh, that was me. I bought two of those grills and around the time I was on the second my brother paid big bucks for a Weber, at least twice as much money as my second grill. I thought he was crazy at the time until mine was junk again in 2-3 years. I bit and bought a Weber in 1995, have replaced parts a few times and welded the frame as it rusted and I leave it out all year uncovered, but we both still are using them. I am way ahead and love my old Weber.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:50 PM   #20

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
Makes me laugh, that was me. I bought two of those grills and around the time I was on the second my brother paid big bucks for a Weber, at least twice as much money as my second grill. I thought he was crazy at the time until mine was junk again in 2-3 years. I bit and bought a Weber in 1995, have replaced parts a few times and welded the frame as it rusted and I leave it out all year uncovered, but we both still are using them. I am way ahead and love my old Weber.
Nothing like them. A family member has gone through maybe 7 or 8 cheap grills over the years, while my almost 30 year old Weber kettle is still going strong.

Lots of things, like a Honda generator, are like that. You get what you pay for.