Hooking up my fan to AC power - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #1

Name: Dietrich
Trailer: Trillium
Washington, D.C.
Hooking up my fan to AC power

So I am a super newbie when it comes to all of the electricity in my 1975 Trillium 1300, especially considering a lot of previous owners made many modifications. But here is my basic set up, and what I am trying to do. Please let me know if my assumptions are safe and wise:

I have installed a MaxxFan Deluxe, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZOF09Y..._3umwvb1YN78ZJ

It runs on DC power, but I want it to run off shore power. So my plan is to take the negative and positive wires, and hook them up to a male 12V power plug: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZZGBJC..._-pmwvb01YK6YF

Then I want to plug it into a power converter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012BL8LG..._qrmwvb08EX079

Then just plug the power converter into the wall outlet of my trailer while on shore power. Good plan? Safe plan? Any concerns? Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Dietrich I know nothing about the converter that you have linked to so can't comment as to whether it would do the job or not but there are a number of RV specific/designed convertors out there. One of the more popular ones used in many of our small trailers is the Progressive Dynamics PD-4045.

In regards to the wiring up you may want to look in the Documents Center on this site under Scamp to take a look at their general wiring diagram as it is pretty basic and common to many of our trailers & is set up to do what you want as well as charge the battery. Also take a look at the website the 12 Volt Side of Life for more detailed info as to what other set up options may be.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietrich View Post

Then just plug the power converter into the wall outlet of my trailer while on shore power. Good plan? Safe plan? Any concerns? Thank you in advance.
Sounds like a workable plan if a bit limited for future expansion. The converter's 6 amp should be plenty for your fan with a few LED lights as well. It would not be a good choice if you plan to add a water pump, furnace or battery charging.

Schumacher has a good reputation over the years. Maybe still if it hasn't been sold a few times. Certainly inexpensive and with Amazon's return policy its worth trying as long as you understand the limitations. I expect it will work well for you.

I envy your fan choice. My Scamp came with a Fantastic Fan, a good fan, though I would have preferred the MaxxFan.

Good luck, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Dietrich, does your trailer already have a converter with built-in battery charger? If it does, I don't know why you would want complicate your set-up with your plan. If you don't have a converter yet, and can't afford the Progressive dynamics yet, I would at least add a 10amp battery charger that plugs into 110 volt shore power and connect it to your battery. All your 12 volt system should be able to operate off your battery and it will be recharged at the same time.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
I agree with Dave & Paula keep it simple , perhaps a little more work to install to existing converter , but a lot more satisfactory in the long run { and safer } .
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #6

Name: Dietrich
Trailer: Trillium
Washington, D.C.
There is no built-in converter on there that I know of or have seen over the past year. I will probably be opting for the progressive dynamics one soon. For now I will use this as a stop-gap measure with quick setup. Thank you everyone for your advice, our family is still learning all the ropes.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #7

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Your description leaves some room for various interpretations, but you say the fan runs on DC power. DC power from where? If from an onboard battery that means you must have a converter of some kind which runs off shore power to keep the battery charged and nothing more is needed. If not then did your PO remove all that?

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #8

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Sounds like it will work. why don't you wire a dpdt switch between the fan and the power source? That way you can reverse the fan of you want. The switches cost about 5$ and there's lots of info online showing how to wire it properly.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Your description leaves some room for various interpretations, but you say the fan runs on DC power. DC power from where? If from an onboard battery that means you must have a converter of some kind which runs off shore power to keep the battery charged and nothing more is needed. If not then did your PO remove all that?

Walt
Not uncommon on the older trailers to have a converter fail and the OP remove & run everything 12V straight off the battery or some older trailers never came with a converter to start with. They simple had everything running off the battery and the owner needs to use a generator or separate battery charger to fill it back up when they have access to power. Not an overly convenient system in my way of thinking but a lot of the older boler owners for example seem to make it work for them.

Some here have pulled out their convertors and replaced them with nothing more than an on board battery charger for when they are plugged in - which leaves everything running off 12v even when plugged in. Some supplement it with a solar charger for when not plugged in. That is a pretty simple system that works if everything you have in the trailer will run off 12v and you never want/need to use any 110 appliances etc in the trailer
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:21 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaner View Post
Sounds like it will work. why don't you wire a dpdt switch between the fan and the power source? That way you can reverse the fan of you want. The switches cost about 5$ and there's lots of info online showing how to wire it properly.
No need for the switch, as the MaxxFan has a reverse switch built into it.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote