How Do I Reset DC Circuit? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
How Do I Reset DC Circuit?

I was installing a 12 v receptacle. I was using butt splice connectors to Y the receptacle and the light to the existing wire pair.

I used a multimeter to determine which wires coming through the wall were positive and negative. The light works no matter which way it is wired. I had the receptacle wired backwards and fixed it. I plugged a voltage monitor into the receptacle and it worked.

I was using jumpers to connect the wires from the wall to the connectors for the light and receptacle. When I crimped one of the wires from the wall into the splice connector, I evidently blew the circuit. I'm not sure how because the other wire was disconnected.

The lights on port side work and those on starboard don't.

How do I reset the circuit? This is on a Parkliner. I know which circuit it is in the breaker box, I just don't know how to reset it.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Did you look for fuses in the power chassis? DC circuits are usually fuse protected.

BTW: Putting a 12VDC utility outlet on a light circuit isn't always a good idea as the wires for the light circuit may be much smaller than what you need for the much higher load the outlet might draw. Ditto for the fuse protecting that circuit.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #3

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Did you look for fuses in the power chassis? DC circuits are usually fuse protected.

BTW: Putting a 12VDC utility outlet on a light circuit isn't always a good idea as the wires for the light circuit may be much smaller than what you need for the much higher load the outlet might draw. Ditto for the fuse protecting that circuit.
I'm doing what parkliner did on the port side and I haven't had any problem with it.

The power chassis is under the bed and I couldn't see it very well. I just took a picture of it using the flash and now see which fuse I need to pull.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #4

Virginia
Yep, blown fuse. Is there a secret to putting the fuse back in? It was difficult getting it out, even using the fuse puller from my Blazer, but I tried putting it back in and struck out. May have to take the bed out just to put a fuse in.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #5

Virginia
Fixed. So now I have a 12v receptacle above the stove and another one over the small table area. Also switched all my lights over to led.

Here's some part references if anyone needs them.

12v receptacle - marine grade cigarette lighter socket

Led replacement for 921 incandescent bulbs
LED replacement for 1141 incandescent bulbs
On the Parkliner, the 2 lights in bed area, light over stove, light over small table, and bathroom light are all 921's. I used the 68 led bulbs where I wanted more light and 42 where I could do with less.

The overhead light and the exterior light are both 1141's and I used the Brightech leds there.

These are just the ones I chose as I buy most of my stuff from Amazon. Others will work just as well.