How do I restore/add connection to battery? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #1

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
How do I restore/add connection to battery?

My Scamp came to me with no battery and some obvious alterations to the wire harness. Looks like the original connection to the vehicle was a 6-way and someone added a 6-to-4 connector, which works for me because that's what my minivan has, but I guess this means no charging the battery from the TV. I have other plans tho.
Once I worked up the courage to remove the 5 yards of electrical tape, I discovered that a PO had cut all the wires just to add about 2 feet of wire to the harness length. Darn! I was hoping there was some kind of junction to connect the black and white wires to a battery on the tongue.
So, right now I have no way to use the 2 12v lights already in the trailer, and I'd like to add a 12v port for charging cellphone, laptop, etc.
So, how does one go about adding this connection to the existing wiring that I have?
I have a Group 27 battery all charged and waiting on float on a Battery Tender (which I would also like to install in the Scamp to charge the battery when I'm camping with shore power). I also have a 50w solar panel and controller that I'd like to add to the system, so I can boondock in luxury.
But FIRST I need the group's vast wisdom how to add the battery (which I'd like to place on the tongue) back into the electrical system. Please keep it in simple terms. Electrical really confuses me quickly.
Thanks so much for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
wiresspliced.jpg   sixtofourplug.jpg  

Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Connect your Battery to your Power Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
I was hoping there was some kind of junction to connect the black and white wires to a battery on the tongue.
So, right now I have no way to use the 2 12v lights already in the trailer, and I'd like to add a 12v port for charging cellphone, laptop, etc.
So, how does one go about adding this connection to the existing wiring that I have?
The only relationship that the Battery has to the 6-wire cord that plugs into the Tow Vehicle is that the Black and White wires each have a "branch" connection to a SEPARATE set of wires that actually connect the Power Converter to the battery.

Document Center - Wiring Diagram, Scamp

What's missing for you is a separate +12 volt wire and a separate -12 volt wire between the Power converter and the (also missing) Battery. You don't have to bother the 6-wire cord that plugs into the 4-pin adapter that plugs into the Tow Vehicle at all UNLESS you also want to re-establish the "charge line" branch connection.

In that case, just add the "branch" connection back to splice at the +12 volt (Black) wire and the -12 volt (White) wire shown in your picture.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
When purchasing a used trailer that somebody has messed with the wiring take it somebody that knows how a trailer is supposed to be wired and understand electrical wiring for both 120V and 12V. It is my belief that you could be asking for BIG trouble attempting do it yourself with out the knowledge. You'll get lots of advice here, but is it worth the risk of an electrical fire in your trailer?
Old 05-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
Please keep it in simple terms. Electrical really confuses me quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
It is my belief that you could be asking for BIG trouble attempting do it yourself without the knowledge. You'll get lots of advice here, but is it worth the risk of an electrical fire in your trailer?
I do agree with Byron on this. I have already caused an electrical fire in the Fiber Stream once, and I believe I know what I am doing.
If you don't have a complete understanding then find someone who does...

Tags
battery