How fast would it take to use up charge in 12 volt battery in my scamp charging lap t - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have plenty of things to recharge. Even when stationary we usually spend part of the day driving about, ecploring our new neighborhood. During that interval we recharge things from the car. We use the 12 volt outlets to recharge phones and the like using USB ports in the 12 volt outlets. We sometimes put a 150 watt cigarette lighter inverter in to charge larger items.

We also have three AC outlets with USB ports and 3 12 volt outlets in the trailer. Our 80 watt solar panel takes care of the batteries when off grid. What's really nice is that most of the electrical devices are really low power and last a long time on a charge.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #22

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
A portable battery pack will give you USB, 12V and a 120V inverter built in. They can be charged by plugging in to 120, 12V while driving or by solar. So a single appropriately sized solar panel and a 12V charging unit for your laptop will be all you need. Well under your $$ limit.

Battery power for your trailer is another thing. There are enough selfcontained battery operated LEDs and flashlights on the market that can suit that need.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #23

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
A portable battery pack will give you USB, 12V and a 120V inverter built in. They can be charged by plugging in to 120, 12V while driving or by solar. So a single appropriately sized solar panel and a 12V charging unit for your laptop will be all you need. Well under your $$ limit.

Battery power for your trailer is another thing. There are enough selfcontained battery operated LEDs and flashlights on the market that can suit that need.
Roy, this sounds like a neat gadget. Amazon dot come has 209,047 results for "portable battery pack" -- any particular suggestions/is there one you recommend for camping applications?
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Carol H;441914]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post

Wish that was true Bob but I have found it normally takes my iPhone about an hour plugged in to fully recharge once it run right down and my iPad way longer - never actually timed it but my guess is at least a few hours.
What I meant Carol is that the amount your car battery was discharged with engine off charging a phone or iPad, it would only take a few minutes engine run time to bring it back to full charge. Reading more of the OP's explanation of type of camping she will do, her idea of a solar panel sounds good. My type camping I probably don't need it, although a few rare times it would be nice, but not worth the investment. A funny aside here; when I worked on lease trucks we frequently encountered what was called a "battery test". That was when we discovered the lights on of a truck that had been parked for hours, or even the previous day, and we would see if the batteries had enough left to start the engine. Most of the time they would start. Ever do this with your car, lights draw more than a phone charger. I'll admit, I've left lights on for a couple hours and still had battery enough to start the vehicle.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=mary and bob;441951]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

What I meant Carol is that the amount your car battery was discharged with engine off charging a phone or iPad, it would only take a few minutes engine run time to bring it back to full charge. .
Agree it probable wouldn't draw it down much, although I know that on one my vehicles the 12v sockets for gadget charging doesn't work unless the car is running though.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Roy, this sounds like a neat gadget. Amazon dot come has 209,047 results for "portable battery pack" -- any particular suggestions/is there one you recommend for camping applications?
No Jen.
Everybodies needs are different. I typically buy them on sale at Canadian tire, which is a regular thing, never pay more than 1/2 price and consider them disposable. i.e. it is cheaper to replace the unit than the battery inside. Here is their current line up:
Power Packs | Canadian Tire
My current one is 3-4 years old and includes a compressor, car booster and light. Paid less than $100 for it and use it to check and top up all the tires on most trips.

Here is an example of a name brand basic unit to give you an idea.
Duracell Powerpack 600 | Portable Generator | Duracell

My suggestion is to see what is available locally or online and buy on sale. 50-60% off should be a good guidline. Battery size and type is the main feature to keep an eye on.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #27

Jen,
Here is a shorter list on Amazon
Amazon.com: portable battery pack
Old 02-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #28

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
I use solar lights too and cost of 12$ lites pays for half price lites in Africa. Charge has lasted a year at the rate I use them.
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #29

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
During Christmas I saw some solar chargers at Lowe's.There was different ones for lap tops,cell phones and tablets. I did not get one but I should have,just to have if we lose power during hurricane season. My kids all say they work and are a good thing to have on hand. DD and her husband did rim to rim at Grand Canyon and carried those small battier back ups for their cell phones & GPS device.
Maybe something like the solar charger for just your lap top is what you need. This is just one that I found on Google when I typed in solar charger for lap top..........7 Portable Solar Laptop Chargers Worth Considering : TreeHugger

Good luck and Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #30

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If I were off-gridding in February in a climate like Indiana's, I'd be a lot more concerned about power reserves for the heater fan etc. than I would about recharging a computer.

Assuming the O.P.'s late-model Scamp has the usual power users such as fridge, lights, pump, and most especially a furnace with a fan, the best that can be expected in the life-and-comfort sustaining department from a single twelve volt battery is three days, tops.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #31

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
This wont fix all the problems but it is a good start for the price! http://www.goalzero.com/ has a nice line and is sold by Costco and Amazon.

Amazon has the Anker 14W Solar Panel Foldable Dual-Port Solar Charger on sale for $59.99 - $12.00 coupon code "VD2O67XS" = $47.99 with free shipping.

Review: 4.6/5 stars based on 66 customer reviews.

Product deets:
  • 14W Mono-Crystalline 15-18% efficient solar array procudes up to 5V / 2A total output among two(2) USB ports.
  • Compatible w/ 5V USB-Charged devices includeing: GPS units, iPhones, iPads, Android phones and Android Tablets.
  • Hardened PET plastic faced solar panels sewn into high-wear polyester canvas for weather-resistant outdoor durability.
  • Fold down into a 8.5-in. x 11-in. paper-sized profile for superior portability; well placed eyeholes enable easy attachment to backpacks for use while hiking.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #32

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Carol H;441960]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post

Agree it probable wouldn't draw it down much, although I know that on one my vehicles the 12v sockets for gadget charging doesn't work unless the car is running though.
Our Honda has an accessory position on the ignition switch, one click before the run position to power up the radio and 12 volt outlet. Cars have had this feature since the 60's, but usually the accessory position was to counter clockwise from the off position. Odd that manufacturers would eliminate this feature on some models. I still drive a couple vehicles that the ACC position is to the left and doors have to be unlocked with a key, no remote, 4 vehicles actually!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #33

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
Well as I said I was running off car but my iPad tajes four hours to recharge so not a minimal timeframe. I am now looking at buying a solar 16 watt portable charger for 130-150$. I don't need to run tv or AC or even coffee pot as my main constant is the IT device for my writing. Charging my iPhone with a very good lighter charger was okay - an hour to two maybe. Charging all three devices could run into 6 or more hours.
Please don't spend that much on a solar panel! Last spring I bought a 75W panel for about $100 and a Morningstar SG-4 controller for $28, from solarblvd.com. I just looked and I see they have a 20W for $29 and a 40W for $54. The SG-4 would work with either of those, too.

I then bought a short extension cord and cut it in half, and wired one end of the cut cord to the panel's wires and the other end to the controller's input wires. The 3 prong plugs can be connected easily at the campsite, or I can add an extension cord of any desired length in between those plugs to get the panel into full sun. On the controller's output wires, I added a 7 pin receptacle just like the one on the back of the tow vehicle; so the trailer's pigtail plugs in there and it charges the trailer battery. It was really easy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0766.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	68294

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0767.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	68295

Wire a 12v 'cigarette lighter' style socket into your trailer interior wiring (my trailer already had one), and you are set to plug in your inverter.

Or if you prefer to use the panel to recharge your tug's battery (or to connect directly to your trailer battery, for that matter), add alligator clips onto the controller's output wires instead of the 7 pin receptacle. Open the hood, connect to battery terminals.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #34

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Personally, I thought about a battery pack but then realized, I already have 2 batteries (trailer and tug), so why buy another one? Just another that would need replacement in 4-5 years when it won't hold a good charge any more.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #35

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
During Christmas I saw some solar chargers at Lowe's.There was different ones for lap tops,cell phones and tablets. I did not get one but I should have,just to have if we lose power during hurricane season. My kids all say they work and are a good thing to have on hand. DD and her husband did rim to rim at Grand Canyon and carried those small battier back ups for their cell phones & GPS device.
Maybe something like the solar charger for just your lap top is what you need. This is just one that I found on Google when I typed in solar charger for lap top..........7 Portable Solar Laptop Chargers Worth Considering : TreeHugger

Good luck and Happy Camping
Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, those are expensive!!!
Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #36

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Don't overlook Harbor Freight. They don't have the top of the line in solar panels but since the price keeps on dropping on solar it would be a good start without putting a hole in your pocket.
13 Watt Briefcase Solar Charger
Attached Thumbnails
image_23522.jpg  
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I already have 2 batteries (trailer and tug), so why buy another one?
For us, 2 main reasons.
We keep it plugged in at home during the winter for boosts on the really cold days. Seems our neighbours need it more than us.

Secondly, we use it to power the Endless Breeze Fan to keep the dogs cooler in their crates on those really hot days in the summer. Particularily useful at dog events when you are separated from the trailer or tug. Sometimes us humans use it too.

Keeping the electronics charged is a bonus.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #38

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=mary and bob;441991]
Quote:

Our Honda has an accessory position on the ignition switch, one click before the run position to power up the radio and 12 volt outlet. Cars have had this feature since the 60's, but usually the accessory position was to counter clockwise from the off position.
Yup very true all my older vehicles would do that including one made by the same manufacture, which only had one 12v plug. But the newer model (2 years old) with a designated plug with the USB plug for charging gadgets doesn't work that way - vehicle has to be running or nothing. Actually had to check the owners manual out to confirm that as I was also surprised. Perhaps they believe some gadgets take more power than we think to recharge and perhaps they are protecting he battery from draw down... not sure why the change.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #39

Quote:
the USB plug for charging gadgets doesn't work that way - vehicle has to be running or nothing. ... not sure why the change.
Could it be that it takes power to drop from 12 to 5V ? A constant on might be a constant drain.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #40

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, those are expensive!!!

Sorry,didn't look at the price....just picked the first one on the list The ones I saw during Christmas were all a price I could afford to pay for a just encase something. I know there are better prices out there,just had hopes of giving you some good ideas.

Good luck on your hunt for power,I see you have been given some very good ides of places to look.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, scamp