How fast would it take to use up charge in 12 volt battery in my scamp charging lap t - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Could it be that it takes power to drop from 12 to 5V ? A constant on might be a constant drain.
As said Roy I don't really have a clue as to why the one 12v USB plug designed for recharging the phones, iPods etc it will not work unless the vehicle is actually running. I do wonder if it has something to do with the total draw when the ignition is set to only auxiliary position as described above. Many of the newer vehicles have built in alarms, GPS, hands free/blue tooth and video touch screens for the radio etc. Perhaps allowing phones and iPads etc to charge when all of those are already on is just to much drain.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
I have a 100w's of solar panels, mounted on the top of my camper,and during my last time in Quartzside I would charge (phone turned off) first thing in the morning and it took about 45 minutes to fully charge, then hooked my computer up and it took about 1.5 hours to charge. By noon the trailers batteries were fully charged. I very happy with rig I installed.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #43

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
My ScanGage tells me I use 0.45 gallons per hour at idle, with a warmed up engine. My Honda EU1000i lasts from 4-6 hours per .6 gallons of gas. Worse case that’s 0.15 gallons per hour. Of course generators are expensive and if you’re going to be driving 3 or 4 hours anyhow it’s not a good tradeoff.

Just noodling with the numbers for the fun of it, using 3 hours of idling to recharge, that would be 1.35 gallons of, say, $3.30 gas or $4.45 per charge event. A Honda EU1000i (all you need if all you’re doing is recharging the batteries) goes for about $800 at Wise. That would be 180 charges cycles to breakeven. That would be a payoff in 1 year if you charged every other day to as long as 3.5 years if you charged only once a week. Of course, those one a week charge cycles would use 156 gallons in the car while the generator would use about 23.4 gallons. That would be a savings of over $400 in gas each year (once a week charging) which makes the generator payoff that much quicker. But you have to shlep gas around…

Solar is cheaper still since you wouldn’t have any gas expense. You would probably want to be sure to camp out with a clear view of the southern sky and in the shorter days of winter you might want to move the panels occasionally during the day to keep the panels optimally charging, or not, if you oversize the panels some.

You seem to be leaning towards solar which is fine. I don’t see car charging as making much sense unless you travel a lot except that it has no particular initial expense.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, scamp