How long will a battery last? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #57
Name: Rob
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Those 12 volt coolers will drain your camper battery or you tow vehicle battery like a big hog on corn at a trough. My brother offered me one and I said no thanks. I like a good reasonably priced cooler and don't mind a little ice bill. If you're only out for three days make good hard ice at home and most any "5 day" cooler will get you by. Especially if you precool your drinks in your home refrigerator. Having a cooler drained battery is not good. Spoiled food, nothing else will run and worst of all warm beer. The ice company's kids need shoes too.
That's the conclusion we came to after camping this week. We used $4 in ice for almost 3 days and even having the cooler sit outside overnight the ice still wasn't melted and everything was nice and cold.

Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #58
Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post a big hog on corn at a trough. ...
You really are IOWA Dave, aren't you

OP was only running lights and a TV. No fridge or cooler.
I think he has the info he needed so..
Speaking of coolers... does anyone use dry ice?

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #59
Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia

anything's possible...

I cruised for several years on an 18 foot sailboat....these trips consisted of three nights, four day outings.....

night before launch do a grocery shop...put all the meat in a bag and ask the clerk to put it in their freezer overnight...pick up in morning (common request around sailing/marina areas)....

one block of ice, frozen meat....that smallish cooler was one large block of ice starting AGM battery ran the boom box, tiller pilot and a cabin light for the four days with no problem....

great trips...."the smaller the boat, the more it gets used...the more interesting places it gets to"....

if my big fridge ever quits I might just build a real good ice box, in it's place, in my trailer...
Attached Thumbnails

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote