How often do YOU check battery with hygrometer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #1

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
How often do YOU check battery with hygrometer

Lots of good information on the forum about checking battery voltage, etc but I am wondering how often do you check the battery with a hydrometer? Monthly, quarterly, spring and fall, just when you check the water level?

Just curious what others do.

jon
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post
Lots of good information on the forum about checking battery voltage, etc but I am wondering how often do you check the battery with a hydrometer? Monthly, quarterly, spring and fall, just when you check the water level?

Just curious what others do.

jon
I guess it can't hurt,... so I check mine every uh...never!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #3

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
monthly.....

2 GC batteries....check water level once a month (and always have to add some BTW).... and hydro check...just because it's sitting right there when I check water levels....

kinda surprised me that I always have to add water (distilled)....maybe the fact that the trailer is either plugged in with charger on....or it's sitting there unplugged and the roof panels are charging the batteries.....my batteries are always "working" I guess
Attached Thumbnails
battbox3.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Since I have a good battery monitor and charging system, the only time I use the hydrometer is when I have or suspect a problem. Its good for comparing the state of charge of the individual cells to identify a bad cell. A single bad cell can make a battery appear to work more or less normally but not hold a good a charge for as long.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
battery condition

I put a 12v monitor in the trailer I have it switched as long as I have 12.5vs or so I don't worry about it. I think running any sort of a charger is hard on your battery.

when hooked up it has a trickle running off the car alternator.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Depends on usage. Since I leave my trailer plugged in while at home, I disconnect the battery to prevent it from getting boiled by the converter, as it happened once already. I check the water levels monthly, more or less, and use the hydrometer less often.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Never, I have AGMs.

But, when I had flooded, I just monitored the voltage level, and checked fluid levels spring and fall. Never used a hygrometer either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I check my group 27 lead acid battery water levels once a year. I don't know where my hydrometer is. Last time I checked the battery it needed no water; year before just an ounce in each cell. I use water from a Reverse Osmosis water purification system at home (pretty much the same as distilled). Years ago, with less sophisticated chargers, I had to add water much more often. The battery is charged while towing from the Subaru's alternator and I use a charge wizard gizmo hooked up to the Scamp's converter when on shore power (really almost never) and everyday by my solar panel/charge controller which is a 3 stage unit that seems to keep the battery very happy. The sun shines most days and the battery is bathed in the sun's fusion powered raditation photon goodness.

I do keep an eye on the battery voltage level with a $5.00 eBay 4 digit panel display.

I wonder that when a battery needs water monthly if it may be getting too much charging.

Cheers, and Happy Turkey Day all, john

Pic of a bright Sugar Maple in Northern Wisconsin
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6646.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
I wonder that when a battery needs water monthly if it may be getting too much charging....
Almost certainly it is. Very heavy discharge / recharge cycles would do that also but if a camper house battery is not under almost constant heavy use yet you still need to add water monthly, then overcharging is a very good bet.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:00 PM   #10

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
meet the "overcharger"....

NOCO 12-24V 7200mA Battery Charger G7200

I'll just have to see how many years I get out of my batteries I guess...so far happy with how everything's working for me
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:08 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have an AGM so the hydrometer is useless. I check with a $10 DVM in the morning if we are going from place to place. If we are staying for several days and I'm using my solar panel I check in the late afternoon noon as well.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:42 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
checking battery fluid levels

i replaced the battery in my casita several years ago. at the same time i installed a "fluid replenishment device". this device replaces all the vent caps on top of the battery and has a tube connected that you connect to another tube with a squeeze ball. hook the two together, put the other end in the water bottle, squeeze the bulb and all the cells are topped off. it's been around 3 years since this device was installed and i've used it every 6 months or so. only a few times has it needed additional water (distilled). recently i had to pull the battery to connect a new solar controller and took that opportunity to dust off the hydrometer and test. all the cells were nearly equal. i realize that a bad cell may occur without my knowledge using this system however, that battery is such a pita to pull and check so i'm trusting that device to at least keep the battery fluids at proper levels. my trailer does have an upgrade converter that utilizes a 4 stage charging program and so far it seems to be working well. the trailer stays plugged in all the time at home (to keep the fridge running). so far so good...

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:44 AM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Never, I have AGMs.

But, when I had flooded, I just monitored the voltage level, and checked fluid levels spring and fall. Never used a hygrometer either.
Ditto. While more expensive than flooded lead batteries, AGMs are the only batteries I will buy in the future. As Tony says, "they're greattt."
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #14

Missouri
checking the batteries

i looked at my tractor battery yesterday for some reason it gets little use or starting for that matter. It sets out in all sorts of weather but starts the tractor every time date on it 2011.

my car batteries usually go 6 years also never have checked water in them. Maybe at the end of the 6 years they have no water in them never checked.

Maybe the water going low on a battery is just a progression of its age as it comes to the end of its usefulness. no doubt overcharging a battery will boil it out I think I would put a battery minder on it to solve this or put a timer on the outlet to stop this!

bob
Old 11-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #15

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
If I pull my battery to check water levels, the hard part is done. So why not check with hygrometer. For my next battery (years away I hope) I plan to skip AGM and jump to Lithium (2x capacity, 1/2 weight).
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #16

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_britt View Post
If I pull my battery to check water levels, the hard part is done. So why not check with hygrometer. For my next battery (years away I hope) I plan to skip AGM and jump to Lithium (2x capacity, 1/2 weight).
Some of us dont have to "pull" our batteries to check water levels....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:00 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Hmmm again I have to ask how often do you check the water level of the battery in daily drive?
Old 11-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I tend to check mine each time the topic comes up on the forum.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:15 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I tend to check mine each time the topic comes up on the forum.

I've been known to do that. However, I only added water to one battery once. I'm on battery # 4 on 12 years. Fist one I missed diagnosed the problem and replaced it when I didn't need too. The second one stopped holding a charge. The 3rd somebody else wanted it worse than I did apparently, and the 4th is still in use. And wouldn't you know it the 3rd was the most expensive true deep cycle battery. Went back to a marine hybrid at 1/2 the cost.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:06 PM   #20

Missouri
maybe a suggestion

here is a thought I have done this to keep from boiling out a battery put a timer on your el. line!

bob

Tags
battery