Humming noise on shake down trip - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If you have left your TV attached to the trailer and you have a Prodigy or some other like technology brake controller which probes the brake connection every few seconds, it will display the symtoms described.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
On one of our early Scamp trips to a park with hookups we had been using water like we do at home. The last day of our trip, the sink started to back up.

That was the only indication we've ever gotten that our grey tank is full; ever since then we've been much more careful with our water usage. It takes a little practice, but the two of us can easily go a week without having to dump the grey tank.

We have a privacy/shower closet, but do not shower in our Scamp, not even when we have full hookups. Not only does showering use (literally) buckets of water, the Scamp's 6-gallon water heater wouldn't support a long shower, and showering makes for a wet toilet and damp trailer. We prefer to use camp showers or do a sponge bath and wash our hair at the sink. That keeps water consumption to just one quart of water, which is very handy when we're boondocking.

When we boondock, we know that we can refill our (upgraded) 17 gallon fresh tank using jerry cans once before having to worry that our grey tank might fill to overflowing. (Our grey tank won't hold 34 gallons, but it never quite fills all the way, and some of the water goes to the black tank when we flush our toilets.)

I'm sure you'll both learn to cope. It didn't take us all that long to do so, and now we hardly think about it at all.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
On one of our early Scamp trips to a park with hookups we had been using water like we do at home. The last day of our trip, the sink started to back up.

That was the only indication we've ever gotten that our grey tank is full; ever since then we've been much more careful with our water usage. It takes a little practice, but the two of us can easily go a week without having to dump the grey tank.

We have a privacy/shower closet, but do not shower in our Scamp, not even when we have full hookups. Not only does showering use (literally) buckets of water, the Scamp's 6-gallon water heater wouldn't support a long shower, and showering makes for a wet toilet and damp trailer. We prefer to use camp showers or do a sponge bath and wash our hair at the sink. That keeps water consumption to just one quart of water, which is very handy when we're boondocking.

When we boondock, we know that we can refill our (upgraded) 17 gallon fresh tank using jerry cans once before having to worry that our grey tank might fill to overflowing. (Our grey tank won't hold 34 gallons, but it never quite fills all the way, and some of the water goes to the black tank when we flush our toilets.)

I'm sure you'll both learn to cope. It didn't take us all that long to do so, and now we hardly think about it at all.
Your conjecture is pretty much contrary to our experience.
Our little water heater has never run out of hot water, in fact I have taken a full shower a day after the water heater was shut off without any problem.
My wife and I have gone at least five days without filling the graywater tank on several occasions and we each shower every day.
With only mild conservation we commonly go 3-4 days without refilling the freshwater tank including using the toilet and sink. Of course our freshwater tank has only half the capacity of the gray.
We find it easier to maintain the shower/toilet closet, than to use the campground facilities and of course, when boondocking we have a shower available.We've never had a damp trailer or left a wet toilet or bathroom in the wake of a shower.
We bought our trailer to get the bathroom/shower and we are still pleased with our choice, eventhough we "loved" our LoveBug.
Some folks won't cook/eat in their trailer for fear of the mess, maybe some won't sleep in their trailer to avoid making the bed.
Pretty soon you could obviate the purchase of a travel trailer altogether!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Here's a possible answer to a wet toilet. I had a cabover long ago with a huge wet bath in it. We would put a large plastic trash bag over the toilet during any shower use. Just took it off afterwards and it was dry. Of course everything else was wet but that was taken care of with a towel.
I've never had a problem with running out of hot water with the six gallon heaters. Even with two people in a row taking a shower. Wet down and shut off the hand held showerhead. Soap up and scrub and then rinse off. Easy and only down maybe two gallons of water. I even had the kids doing this at home just cuz
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Floyd I agree 100% with your last two comments as it reminds me of my Grandparents and other folks that put plastic on the couch and car seats to save it from wearing out. Dang, it was terrible to sit on but was great for the next owner. Personally I want to enjoy it being new, take overall good care of the whole thing and pass it on at a later date for someone else to enjoy. Geee, that's been bugging me for 50 years......wonder if my Grandparents ever wondered why I sat on the floor?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote