Humming noise on shake down trip - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #1

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Hi. I am sitting in my new 2014 Scamp 13 on our first night out. So far so good but my questions are: 1) while sleeping I noticed a humming noise and slight vibration. I walked around outside and it appears to be louder inside. I've used the sink and commode. I don't have hot water but I believe that is because I did not light the pilot. I am hooked up to 30 watt power. I'm not going to burn up my heating coil am I? Could the vibrating/him be the fridge? It was not cooling but I noticed a switch to the left of the sink. I turned it on so maybe it will cool now. How long does it take? The Scamp is pretty level but a little raised in the front. Everything else is working fine. Just the noise and, fridge issue and me not really knowing about getting hot water. 2) Are there any forums or places to look to find out how to use my Scamp and all the little things I need to do etc? My literature was very basic and not much help at all. Any advice, from your experiences, would be greatly appreciated. I can't sleep thinking I'm burning something up with this humming and slight vibration. Thanks!!

UPDATE: I flipped the switch next to the electrical outlet off and the humming stopped. New questions:
1) what does this switch operate and did I do any damage running it for a few hours? It's on the left side of the sink.
2) how do I get the fridge to work?
3) how do I get hot water?

Like I stated, this is not in my literature I received.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:40 AM   #2

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Trouble shooting long distance can be difficult. But, I'll try to give some thoughts. My guess it's the fan in the converter you're hearing. The converter is located under the dinette street side bench. Which probably is right under your head when in bed. When you look under the table you can see part of it on the face of the bench. This would happen if you run a lot of lights in the evening. It's nothing to worry about, everything is working as it should.

I notices you indicated you were connected to 30 Watt power. The proper term in 30 Amp power.

2) Scamp should have given you a pretty good walk through but it's almost impossible to remember everything. Therefore this can be a good place to ask question about how things work. Another resource is Scampers Yahoo Group, which is devoted to Scamp trailers. I both cases many who answer will answer according to the trailer they have, which often isn't the same as a 13' Scamp.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #3

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Hman, welcome to the forum. I believe that the hum & vibration is coming from the converter. Switch off each circuit breaker until the noise goes away, or unplug the trailer to see if the hum goes away. I don't know what is a normal db hum, as I purchased our 13' Scamp used, and the converter quit working shortly after the hum/vibration was VERY loud. Your 3 way refrigerator will need to be turned on from the outside by opening up the louvered door behind it and turn the knob to the appropriate setting (110 volt while plugged into power, 12 volt if your tow vehicle is wired to supply power to your trailer battery, or Propane if you are camping without 110 volt power supply). It will take several hours to start feeling like it is cooling. I would just call Scamp and ask your questions directly to them, as there may be some changes in appliances from my 1990 to your 2014. Good luck and many happy trails with your new purchase.
Dave & Paula
Old 10-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #4

Alabama
Thanks Byron ...as always, good advice. I had it delivered so no walk through at all. It was here are the keys and your paperwork. Please note my questions. I posted. I don't know what that switch is for. It stopped the noise and humming.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:56 AM   #5

Alabama
Thanks. David. Now I'm worried I may have damaged something by turning the switch on which most likely something to do with the converter. ???

I thought there was a control panel behind those louvered doors and tried to open them in the dark. Any suggestion how to get in? Do I use a screwdriver and turn the rubber like screws? Just making sure. I'll open both in the morning to become knowledgeable. Like I said, no walk through nor literature. Thx.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:05 AM   #6

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
[QUOTE=Hman66;427094]Thanks. David. Now I'm worried I may have damaged something by turning the switch on which most likely something to do with the converter. ???

Hman, I don't believe you damaged anything. You simply turned off the converter, so it is not operating when it is quiet. If everything electrical was off as you tried to sleep, the humming/vibration from the converter was probably just a result of it trying to charge your battery. Like Byron stated in his post, you noticed the noise because your head is right over the converter while lying down. The noise is probably normal, but talk to Scamp about it.
My louvered door is aluminum, and has a turn knob at each bottom corner, which when turned 1/4 turn allows the door to hinge upward, thus exposing the backside of the refrigerator and the knobs to turn it on.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
If the humming noise isn't the converter, could it be the water pump? You mentioned a switch next to the sink. That's where the switch is for the water pump in my Scamp.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #8

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
I think it is the water pump like Donna suggested. If you have no water pressure, no city water or water in your tank the pump will continue to run. The pump will run quite a while before it is damaged.
After you turn the gas on try lighting your range first. This will help purge air out of the gas lines. Lighting the frig. and W/H take a little while when first used until air is purged from the gas line.
Eddie
Old 10-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
Donna, your so smart! There's nothing wrong with your convertor.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #10

Alabama
Thank you all for helping these newbies through their maiden voyage. My questions:
1). How do I use the water pump? When I did not have it on I had good pressure at the sink. Would I run it for the shower?
2) turning on the hot water. Is this switch or knob in the louvered panel with the switch for my fridge? I am on 30 amp right now.
3) my sweetie uses the sink like at home. How do I know when the grey tank is filled up without looking? I would just lie to know if it would pool in the sink.
4) same question for the black water tank. I do know to flush the black water tank and then move the hose to the grey water to help clean it.
Donna, I did not let them install the stinky slinky tube. It's in the closet until I install a larger one.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #11

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
H
Go to the Scamp website and check out the videos in the owners manual section. They should answer most of your questions.
Eddie
Owner's Manuals - Scamp Trailers
Old 10-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #12

Alabama
I will Eddie when I get home but it doesn't help me today.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #13

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If the humming noise isn't the converter, could it be the water pump? You mentioned a switch next to the sink. That's where the switch is for the water pump in my Scamp.
that was my first guess as to what it was as well. And yes if no water in the holding tank and the pump is running it can damage the pump if left running dry.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I think the fridge is a Dometic 2193. If so this will take you to the manual in the document center.

Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Dometic_Refr_Manual_RM2191_2193

The Scamp manual appears to be there as well.

Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Scamp

In regard to noises in the night: No matter what I've had to eat the night before, all noises, snoring, nasty smells, etc. are the dog. Raz