Hunter Compact II wiring... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #1

Name: Captain Longbelly
Trailer: Lots
Kentucky
Hunter Compact II wiring...

I just purchased an early 70's Hunter Compact II that pretty much has been sitting for the last 16 years...the older lady that owned it did not even know it had a battery in it and was surprised when the key opened the compartment with it inside...lol...I have been getting it ready for a trip to the coast next month and just getting it "Campable" for now to see if we like it...if we do(I think we will) I will do a major upgrade this winter with a Progressive Dynamics inverter and all new 12 and 120 volt wiring...today I installed a new deep cycle battery and wires:

My question is does anyone have a wiring diagram for the stock wiring?...or at least know what the three larger gauge wires in this picture are for?...I suspect the camper deep cycle battery was only charged from the tow vehicle? and maybe that is the red wire?...the white may be a ground?.but I'm really wondering what the blue wire I am holding is?..it has a inline fuse and all three wires seem to run up to the tow vehicle?

everything seems to be working except the 12 volt light over the sink so I am curious what the blue wire does? I did manage to get all the trailer lights working...new tires and bearings and it should be ready for a test run

any info would be appreciated..
KyMoonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:49 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In looking at the different types of splices, mixed wire colors, and the cut off red and white wires, it's apparent that more than a few mods have been made.

I think I have all of the original paperwork for mine, but I've never seen anything that resembles a wiring diagram and, after 40 years, and untold owners mods, it's a crap shoot as to what wires do what.

In mine there was a blue wire that ran the water pump for the toilet (Blue = Water?) that I was able to use to fish new wires through with but, by the time I got mine all of the wiring in the battery area was history due to mods already started by it's 2nd owner.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:33 AM   #3

Name: Captain Longbelly
Trailer: Lots
Kentucky
My blue wire seemed to run to the fridge...can you run a fridge on 12v ?...I added another outlet today to run the Battery Tender to get me through Fall camping trips and install a Progressive Dyns inverter this Winter
KyMoonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #4

Name: Phillip
Trailer: Hunter Compact II owner
Arizona
Wiring diagram and parts

Hi Ky Moonshine,
Did you ever find a wiring diagram? Also, the grommet around my Hunter Compact II has rotted, have you had to replace yours and where did you get it? Appreciate any info on parts. Thanks,
Phil in Phoenix
phil3j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Hunter Compact II wiring

Hi there...so I've got the same issue. I want to rewire everything and have figured out all the smaller wires and how to rewire them, but I'm not sure what the bigger red, white and blue ones are for. On my trailer, they have been cut off so that makes it even harder. Let me know if you find our anything and I'll do the same. I'm attaching a pic of what I have to work with...not much, but it's a challenge...
Attached Thumbnails
20160922_201036.jpg   20160922_201052.jpg  

20160923_211025.jpg   20160923_210937.jpg  

Cheri S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:42 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Cheri, you'd be better off tearing everything out and starting new. Would be a lot easier and safer too.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #7

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking too Dave. Thanks! Think I'll start today...it's looks like it's going to be a beautiful one!
Cheri S is offline   Reply With Quote