I am not an electrical engineer... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #29

Name: Libby
Trailer: 1972 American Boler
New York
Intelli-Power 4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam and Jess View Post
Thanks Bill for explaining your set-up -- such a help. I particularly like the list of circuits, your suggestion for an exterior outlet, and I'm glad to hear you run a 12V fridge as we splurged (big time) on a Norcold AC/DC fridge the other day.

And John -- we're excited about the Intelli Power (well, as excited as one can be about a converter) and so glad to hear from someone who uses it. I like your reasoning for putting it up front -- we're still waffling on the best location and that spot seems to make a lot of sense.

You should see our spreadsheet of items researched/ordered/received/installed. The "installed" column is looking a little pathetic, but at least the "ordered" one is filling up!

-- Jess
I am following this thread also. There was no battery set up on my 1972 Boler American when I bought it. I really want to add one because quite often my campsite does not have power. This looks like a very good unit to use. Please keep us posted on where you place it & how it works out for you.

Thanks!
Libby

Old 02-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #30

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
Sure Libby, we definitely plan to track our progress/bumbling errors once we start the electrical installation.

We separated the body from the frame yesterday and snipped the last of the wiring stragglers so there are officially no more clues as to how it was all wired before. That's less scary than it sounds though because it was a complete rat's nest of half-assedness (is that a word? works for me).

We'll probably take at least a couple of weeks to get the axle, install it, paint frame, and get body back on frame (that one will be interesting) before anything happens electric-wise. Plenty of time to keep researching, and draw up our diagram now that our appliances and power sources are all (mostly) chosen.

Oh, anyone else have examples of their wiring diagrams? I'm starting to think they should print those in the NY Times instead of crossword puzzles -- they're about as satisfying for me to solve : )

-- Jess

Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #31

Name: Libby
Trailer: 1972 American Boler
New York
Quote:
Sure Libby, we definitely plan to track our progress/bumbling errors once we start the electrical installation.

We separated the body from the frame yesterday and snipped the last of the wiring stragglers so there are officially no more clues as to how it was all wired before. That's less scary than it sounds though because it was a complete rat's nest of half-assedness (is that a word? works for me).

We'll probably take at least a couple of weeks to get the axle, install it, paint frame, and get body back on frame (that one will be interesting) before anything happens electric-wise. Plenty of time to keep researching, and draw up our diagram now that our appliances and power sources are all (mostly) chosen.

Oh, anyone else have examples of their wiring diagrams? I'm starting to think they should print those in the NY Times instead of crossword puzzles -- they're about as satisfying for me to solve : )

-- Jess
Oh, I remember those days. I did all of that last year. It was a bear getting the shell off the frame. I also had to replace all 3 sections of the floor. I made cardboard templates of the floor before I cut them out, which did help me quite a bit. I also put a new axle on, but my new axle was a little wider than the old one & the offset was a little different so I ended up cutting my wheel openings a little larger. I managed to get it all put back together & useable for last year but I still have a lot of work to do on it. My major projects this year are to put the electric back in it & also to run all new propane lines. The previous owner installed soft copper propane lines through the interior of the camper. I am going to put the black iron on under the camper.

Good luck with your renovations! It takes time but it is well worth it in the end!

Libby
Old 02-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Don't know if you know this, but the Scamp wiring diagram is in the document center.

Bill K

Quote:

-- Jess
Old 02-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #33

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 2006 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
I was browsing the internet today and found this:

The Intelli-Power 4000 Series AC/DC Distribution Panel and Intelli-Power Converter with Charge Wizard.

Has anyone used one of these? If so, how has it worked for you. It almost looks to good to be true. Thanks

-Sam
Installed one last year, works great and was easy to install. What I like about my 2000 SCAMP,is it like working on VW in the 60's and 70's.
Easy and fun to do.

Tags
electrical