I have a question Why do I need a converter? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #1

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
I have a question Why do I need a converter?

I'm getting to the point in my revamp where i have to consider where the outlets will be, lighting fixtures etc.

Do I really need a converter? I mean if I am hooked up to a camp site with running electricity why would I need a converter?

Won't a fuse box/circuit breaker box work?

How much is good and how much is over kill?
Lastly is there a name brand that you feel secure with and would recommend?
Thanks
Guy
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #2

Georgia
I think I meant inverter.
Thanks
Guy
Old 09-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
The Converter takes the 120vac from the Campground and turns it into 12vdc.
An Inverter does exactly the opposite,turns 12vdc from Batteries into 120vac,roughly.

Which did you mean?

If you will be camping only where there is 120vac household power available then you really may not need either?
The Campground power can let the trailer work just like your house does and everything runs on 120vac power.

If you might need to power things when not plugged in though you will need a battery to store 12vdc power and loads that will provide light that can be powered from 12vdc.

In that case an Inverter can make the battery power work non 12vdc loads for short times.

Only you can really know what you need and then tell us?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #4

Georgia
Thanks Ed, I'm basically only going to be hooked up to the campsite so what will I need? A circuit breaker/fuse box?
Old 09-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
You don't think you will ever stop on the side of the road at night and might need a light? Oh I forgot that's why we have candles.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
If you have a battery, a converter (or a battery charger) is necessary, otherwise how will you put back into the battery what you take out? A charge line from the tow vehicle will do some charging, but not if you stay in one place for any length of time.

Before you decide to go 120V only, be sure you don't need 12V for things like a water pump, refrigerator, lighting, or trailer brakes through a breakaway switch.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
and you need a battery for your emergency trailer brakes. most trailer have converters, they are inexpensive and allow the use of 12v lights, pump, fans, and accessories. With a battery and propane, you can camp anywhere without needing a leash (120v hook up) an inverter is an accessory that can allow you to use an appliance not made for 12v to operate off 12v, simple explanation.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #8

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
You don't think you will ever stop on the side of the road at night and might need a light? Oh I forgot that's why we have candles.
I don't stop on the side of the road.... Period!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #9

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and you need a battery for your emergency trailer brakes. most trailer have converters, they are inexpensive and allow the use of 12v lights, pump, fans, and accessories. With a battery and propane, you can camp anywhere without needing a leash (120v hook up) an inverter is an accessory that can allow you to use an appliance not made for 12v to operate off 12v, simple explanation.
Okay, so I don't have brakes on my trailer, refrigerator, or pump. Basically I'm going to run lights, a/c and outlets for some coffee and perhaps a microwave. All my cooking will be done on site. So for my needs a leash is all I really need.
Thanks
Guy
Old 09-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #10

New York
Registry
Sounds like a small breaker panel will do the trick. I'd plan for separate circuits for the AC, Microwave, and Lighting/receptacles.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #11

Georgia
Cool, thanks Jon. A small breaker panel, yes I will have seperate circuits for the ac, microwave, lights and receptacles.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #12

Georgia
Now, a question about the wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Sounds like a small breaker panel will do the trick. I'd plan for separate circuits for the AC, Microwave, and Lighting/receptacles.
Now that I know what I need, I read somewhere that even if your hooked up to the '"say 30 amp hook up" that caution needs to be taken when doing the wiring. Is this the reason for the separate circuits (so as not to damage) an ac unit?
Old 09-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #13

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Your lighting will all be 120V, correct?
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Just get one of these Amazon.com: GE 50542 3-Wire Receptacle Tester: Home Improvement
to protect against mis-wired campground electrical issues
Old 09-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #15

Georgia
I'm starting from scratch there is no existing wiring, so my guess is that it would have to be standard lighting, etc.
So to understand this more the outlets will all be new and i know how to wire them as well as lights, than I will have a 3000 - 5000 btu AC unit and small rv type microwave.
So futuristically speaking everything is connected except the breaker box.
Thanks
Old 09-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #16

Georgia
cool
Old 09-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #17

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by neauone View Post
Now that I know what I need, I read somewhere that even if your hooked up to the '"say 30 amp hook up" that caution needs to be taken when doing the wiring. Is this the reason for the separate circuits (so as not to damage) an ac unit?
If it was me, I'd install a 30 amp system. That means a 30 amp plug, #10 power cord (I'd also use an inlet to help keep the bugs and critters out), and 30 amp main breaker. You can carry a 30 amp female to 15 amp male adapter to connect at home & campgrounds that only have 15 amp hookups.

I'd feed the AC & microwave each with a 20 breaker & #12 wire, and the lighting and receptacle circuits with 15 amp breakers & #14 wire.

You will need a breaker box that has enough positions for all the breakers, however they do make tandem or "Space Saver" breakers that will cut the number of needed spaces in half.

Personally, I'd also make sure I kept space for a battery & converter in mind - sooner or later you are likely to want to stay somewhere without hookups...
Old 09-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #18

Registry
The main reason you should make sure you have both an inverter and converter is because almost everybody else has one.

I would suggest you read and understand what each of things do and decide for yourself. If you're always going to be at site with electricity you might not need either.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #19

Georgia
Just to touch on the battery/converter/inverter issue. What type of battery is needed and how long do they last? I'm sure they are hooked up to the converter/inverter somewhere along the line in order to charge the battery. Is the battery costly or do people carry more than one?
Old 09-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
You need a converter so you dont have to stay in $60.00 a night campgrounds.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote