If you have solar. I could use some help. - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #1

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
If you have solar. I could use some help.

Looking at a50Watt New Solar Panel 12V Mono Crystalline Tempered Glass 25 year warranty MC4

Specifications on the solar panel

Web page 50Watt New Solar Panel 12V Mono Crystalline Tempered Glass 25 year warranty MC4 | eBay
Controller
HQRP Solar 10A Charge Power Controller / Regulator 12V / 24V 10 Amp with LED Indicator

Product Description

HQRP Solar Charge Controllers are high quality, efficient and reliable Solar Power Regulators. They are perfect for rural electrification system. They offer a lot of possibilities and benefits. Regulations point: 14.4 Volts; Low voltage Disconnect: 11.1V Volts; Low voltage Reconnect: 13.1 Volts; Microcontroller digital accuracy; Type of Charging: Series PWM & stat of charge(SOC); 4 Stages: equalization, PWM, Boost and Float, temperature compensated charging; Electronic protections: Short circuit and over current-solar and load; Reverse current at night; Limits high voltage to protect loads; Lighting protection; Tropicalization Conformal coated printed circuit board; Terminals For wire sizes to 6mm2; Self-consumption: 6mA maximum. Solar Controller supports up to 150W of 12V Solar panels and up to 300W of 24V Solar panels. For 12V solar panels, please, use battery and load for 12V solar systems (For 24V solar panels, please, use battery and load for 24V solar systems). HQRP UV Chain / UV Radiation Tester: To know the Solar UV Index, it is enough to compare the colorchange with the 4 standard colors around. Very light purple: low intensity, UV index 1-2. Sun-protection not necessary. Light purple: medium intensity, UV index 3-5. Sun-protection is recommended. Purple: strong intensity, UV index 6-7. Sun-protection is necessary. Dark purple: very strong intensity, UV index 8-11. This tester shows you the level of UV radiation and helps you protect your eyes and skin from negative sunlight effect. web page Amazon.com: HQRP Solar 10A Charge Power Controller / Regulator 12V / 24V 10 Amp with LED Indicator plus HQRP UV Chain / UV Radiation Health Tester: Patio, Lawn & Garden
My question is this a good simple setup?

Old 06-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #2

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I was all set to buy the HQRP that you link, but decided to go with a Morningstar Sunsaver for $50 due to its more sophisticated multi-staged charging, temperature compensation and the Morningstar warranty / reputation. In any case I'm sure either would be fine.

Solar Cell, Solar Panel, Renewable Energy, Wind Energy, Charge Controller, Solar Trackers - Solar Cell, Solar Panel, Solar PV, Solar Products, Charge Controllers, Solar Trackers

Old 06-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
If you are not going to attach it to the trailer, I would avoid glass. My unisolar 42 watt has an aluminum frame and is plastic rather than glass. I have had the wind knock it down with no issues. Unfortunately they don't make them any more. Unisolar now makes flexible cells that are quite expensive but pretty much unbreakable and easy to store. If I every need a new one I will take a close look at those. For a 50 watt panel a 10 amp controller might be overkill. Byron has a 6 amp he likes. I don't recall the brand but a little poking around will turn it up. Raz
Old 06-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #4

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
The charge controller shown does have 4 stage charging and temperature compensation. Other than being made in china it would seem to be an ok choice for the money. If you are willing to pay more Morningstar is a good option. And 10 Amps is a good size. It gives you a bit of room for expansion if you ever want to add panels and there is no money to be saved by getting a 6 amp controller.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
It is a little heavy, they have lighter units.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #6

Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Looks like most 50 watt solar panels are around 12lbs.
What type of material is used if it's not tempered glass?
Thanks for all the tips.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #7

Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Good info on glass Solar panel - plate vs. tempered glass
Tempered glass is better.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #8

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
The charge controller shown does have 4 stage charging and temperature compensation.........
Good catch. I'd forgotten that since I was researching and didn't read the whole text of Kevin's post. The Amazon reviews seem to pretty good for this Chinese controller, though I'm cautious about Chinese electronics from smaller companies with less oversight than say, television manufacturers.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
"What type of material is used if it's not tempered glass?"

Since my cell is not mounted I am continually moving it. Breakage is a big concern. The unisolar amorphous cells are thin film semiconductor deposited on stainless steel as I recall, encased in plastic, then framed in aluminum. No glass. This makes for a very rugged, though somewhat larger cell. Unfortunately the don't make them any more. Perhaps someone else does? On the other hand, there are lots of folks on this forum using glass cells and I don't recall anyone reporting breaking one. Still I would investigate the flexible panels if I were in the market.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #10

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I just checked to see who I bought my panel from and it was Sun Solar. They have this 50 watt panel for $95 with free shipping.

10 pieces 200watt 200w Sun Solar Panel PV Polycrystalline UL CEC Listed New items in sunsolarusa store on eBay!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Amazon has a 60 watt flexible panel- less than 4 lbs
Amazon.com: P3-62 Watt Black Foldable Sunlinq Flexible Solar Panel: Electronics
somewhat expensive, but the flexible panels seem a lot lighter than the glass ones.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #12

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
somewhat expensive
You can say that again, 3 new FROM $812!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #13

Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
$812. out of my price range.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
how about a 80 watt flexible for $468? 50 watts only $315
SunFlex 80W Flexible Solar Panel 80 Watts,free shipping

Tags
solar