Installing a new battery charger vs converter? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Installing a new battery charger vs converter?

I'm wondering if it is possible to install a newer 3 way battery charger in my Egg? My current converter, an Elixir is sort of out dated. Is there any way I can separate but keep the Elixir for only the interior dc circuits and install a newer Xantrex charger for the battery circuit only?
But somehow they need to be connected because if I'm not hooked up and the Xantrex is not charging the interior dc need to be connected to the battery. I'm just not sure how to wire both together yet operate independent of each other?
Can anyone offer any suggestions or do I just need to replace the entire Elixir and get a new converter?
I also read that the newer chargers that go to 15.6 volts in quick charge are blowing out LED lights that normally operate 12 + or - 2 volts or a max of 14 volts? Anyone else aware of this potential problem?
Thanks
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It will B interesting reading of the plethora of answers on this subject.

My answer is: Why complicate things when you can purchase a good converter at a great price. Look at the following site for a converter that satisfies your requirements.

Tri State Surplus items - Get great deals on Decals and Pin Striping items on eBay Stores!
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
I ordered a Progressive unit from Scamp to replace my 2007 factory unit that got zapped from faulty campground wiring. I know you can buy the Progressive unit cheaper on-line, but didn't know that at the time. Scamp will also provide a wiring diagram as this unit is physically different than the original unit. The Progressive unit is far superior to the original unit in every category and does everything you need it to do.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
I replaced my old converter with a Xantrex smart charger in my 13 ft. Boler and will do a similar swap on my present 17 ft. Boler project.

I've installed a smaller 4 circuit,120 volt , circuit breaker in my trailer.

120 "shore Power" comes into the trailer to the circuit breaker. One circuit supplies power to my regular outlets, another circuit supplies power to my fridge and another outlet, another circuit supplies power to the battery charger. The last circuit is a spare.

All of my 12 volt appliances are fed from a DC fuse panel which receives power from the battery. When I am "boondocking" the battery supplies all of my 12 volt needs. If I happen to be in a campground with "shore power" I can plug in and the battery charger automatically performs its' charging cycle to replenish the battery. As well, the 120 receptacles will now be operational.

The main difference between using a charger versus a converter is that most chargers require that a 12 volt battery needs to be in the system while a trailer with a converter does not necessarily need to have a battery.

If you know all your camping will be in campgrounds with supplied 120 power then you can simply plug in and the 120 will be converted to 12 volt to operate your 12 volt appliances. No battery required. This then saves you the cost of having to purchase a battery.

If you do have a converter/battery combination then the converter will supply the 12 volt DC power directly to your appliances and charge your battery at the same time.

Either system will work well.

kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
To Kevin61 from DR

Your wiring job is absolutely outstanding.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #6

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
I had good luck with this retailer. I emailed for advice on what to buy to replace the outdated crap in my 1988 Bigfoot 17. Prompt, sensible response and quick shipping. They have a category for Elixir replacements.

BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics

I got a new Progressive converter, new, smaller distribution panel, plus xantrex battery monitor and cables from another retailer. Then got Square D breakers and wire at Home Depot. The only bits that seemed expensive were the battery monitor and cables.
pindraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #7

Trailer: Aliner
I have the original converter in my Aliner, but added a Progressive Dynamics 3 stage smart charger when I put in solar power. So I do still use my old converter for DC power.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pindraak View Post
I had good luck with this retailer. I emailed for advice on what to buy to replace the outdated crap in my 1988 Bigfoot 17. Prompt, sensible response and quick shipping. They have a category for Elixir replacements.

BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics

I got a new Progressive converter, new, smaller distribution panel, plus xantrex battery monitor and cables from another retailer. Then got Square D breakers and wire at Home Depot. The only bits that seemed expensive were the battery monitor and cables.
How complicated was it to remove the old and rewire the new one?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #9

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
I have the original converter in my Aliner, but added a Progressive Dynamics 3 stage smart charger when I put in solar power. So I do still use my old converter for DC power.
This is what I was thinking of doing, adding a better battery charger but keeping the existing dc panel. Did you have to sever the old converter from the batteries and how did you do this?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #10

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
How complicated was it to remove the old and rewire the new one?
Not an issue. I'm not afraid of complicated. I never knew how to do anything until I learned how. I would rather fully understand the system and put it back together myself how I want it than putting up with old stuff and redundancies and riding on faith in others' work.
pindraak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery