Interior LED Lighting - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
here are a bunch of 12v lamps that can be converted to led once you determine what type bulb you need Search - lamps - Camping World
Old 09-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #22

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
has anyone tried these?

LED Strip light, Waterproof LED Flexible Light Strip 12V with 300 SMD LED, 3258 Cool White. 16.4 Foot / 5 Meter. With 3M Adhesive Back. By Olympic Lighting - Amazon.com

I am thinking about running a strip down the center of my Scamp. I like lots of light and my scamp is kinda dark (for me). Use whatever is left for inside the closet, under the cabinets etc. I need to figure out a switch for them. Maybe just put in a rocker switch from Radio Shack,
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #23

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16ft.
South Dakota
I replaced all the bulbs in my Scamp with LED from M4.

Fast service and good products. The Super Bright COB LED Plate really lights it up.
Doug Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
You might well regret getting the blue-white "daylight" LEDs. They're most people find they're a little hard on the eyes. Look for something marked "warm white." They're a bit more expensive to make or buy, but worth the extra few dollars, IMHO.

I just bought these on eBay: 5M 3528 LED SMD Flexible 300Leds Strip Light Car Motor DIY Warm White BRIGH12V | eBay

They're the non-waterproof version, and you might prefer waterproof if you're going to use them in an exposed location, but these non-waterproof LEDs cost me well under $4.00 and work in the application I use them in. I've gotten waterproof versions as well for very little money using the strategy of patience first and bid for something I'm interested that has an auction ending before 8AM EST/5AM PST and after 8AP EST/5AM PST just before heading to bed.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #25

Alabama
Yes they come in all colors, even a set of three RGB in one strip if you want to dial in a color. I was really asking the generic "have you used these" not "have you used this exact..."

I'm trying to get a feel for how much light these put out.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #26

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Backlund View Post
I replaced all the bulbs in my Scamp with LED
The PO already did that. I like LED but when I am looking for something or trying to do something I want BRIGHT... The various lights scattered around the scamp don't really light it up bright.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:47 AM   #27

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
The rule of thumb for warm white LEDs is they consume 1/8th to 1/10th as much power as an incandescent bulb when you cluster all your LEDs into one spot. The most used incandescent in trailers is the 1.5 to 1.8 Amp, 18-22 watt 1156 bulb, so, if you replace an 1156 bulb with a 40 LED, 2watt LED tubular bulb replacement.

These 5M, 300 LED strip lights burn around 14 watts, the equivalent of 7 1156 bulbs, but allows you to distribute that light a little more evenly around the trailer than 7 single-point lights can, a fact borne out by the judicious placement of 30 watts of warm-white LEDs throughout our 19' Scamp 5th Wheel.

Back to our 5M lengths of LED strip lights. Having just arrived today and been tested just before I posted this, I'll buy another 5M strip and install them in our 14.5' Surfside tear-down and make-over project trailer. I'm planning to use about 7 meters of the stuff, cut into lengths (something that's easy to do with the non-waterproof version, but not the vinyl-encapsulated waterproof ones) and installed under the cabinets over our kitchen counter, front dinette, and in the dome of our ceiling, these lights will form the basis of our trailer's lighting system. Add in another 5 or 6 LED "spot" reading lights, and our trailer will burn 30-35 watts when they're all turned on, considerably less than just two incandescent bulbs but more than enough to look like the bright light at the end of the tunnel that turns out to be an oncoming fiberglass trailer project. ;-)

--P
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:34 AM   #28
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
You can also use any low voltage under counter LED light rated at 12V DC. Many of the "puck lights" available at home improvement stores are 12V DC just check the packaging for details.

Here are what I used:

Information on the LED lights I used
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #29

Alabama
Thanks peter.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #30

Name: Rick
Trailer: Burro
Massachusetts
For use in our 13' Burro (lots of reflective white FG) we have found that LED strips work great for reflective area lighting. I put a strip over the kitchen counter, with an aluminum "L" strip shielding it from shining directly out. This way there is no direct light in the eyes. It provides very bright soft light over the sink and stove area. If fact, it was so bright that I had to put a dimmer on it to tone it down. The strips are easy to work with as you can cut them with scissors at marked positions about every inch or so, to make custom lengths. You can then clip or solder wire leads (18 ga.speaker wire is great for this) and install the strip wherever you like.

When you are shopping for strips, know that the 5050 LED's are much brighter than the 3035 LED's and cost more, but not that much. These strips are so bright that I put 1 ft over the sink and another 1 ft over the sink and it was still too bright for casual use and needs dimming. Always use PWM dimmers and not the cheap ones designed for hot lights.

For reading lights over the bed and over the front dinette, I installed a simple 3 LED puck which also had to be dimmed down. This is easy to do in a Burro because of the double wall in which the wires can be run.

I find using LED designed fixtures much easier than converting existing hot light fixtures.

And of course all are Warm White. "Normal" white is too blue and harsh.

Regards, Rick
rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #31

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
What's CHEAP? LED trailer lights has some nice LED replacement lamps with the B15 base , just swap the lamps and your done . 315 lumens ,warm white color with voltage regulation. I used them in my Scamp and they worked great,well built & NO LED failures in 3 years. Plus they come with a guarantee
Yes there are less expensive lamps on the market!!
Eliminating the heat from the incandescent lamps was as much of a factor as power savings as a reason to change to LED lamps IMHO
Steve my camper is a 1985 bigfoot double axle and I was wondering which ones to get for it. I wanted to replace all the inside ones and the outside. I was looking today but have no clue which ones. I'll need the whole light kits on the outside except for the bottom tail lights. They all need to be replaced and I think they call them clearance lights right? The yellow front ones and the red back ones?
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #32

Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If you check your local RV supply store they may have them. More and more are carrying them but they run in the $18 per bulb range.

Cant comment on the cheaper made in China ones as to how long they may or may not last as I have not used them.

Another popular website that a lot of people here have used is Superbrightleds.com

From my experience using replacement bulbs the higher the luminus rating the better & the ones with the square flat area work much better than the cylinder shaped ones.

White vs Warm White - which ever way you go just get the same in all light fixtures.

When going to LED some people have found they need to switch the wiring on the lamp fixture otherwise the LED's dont work. Only had one fixture I had to do that on, otherwise its a pretty simple update. If you camp off the grid at all like I do you will be happy with the change well worth the money - *far* less power consumption.

Was this on the inside you had to switch the wiring Carol? Do you mind telling how you switched it? Is it the size of the wire or what?
Old 05-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #33

Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.a View Post
If you are happy with the placement and style of the existing light fixtures that you have, then replace the bulbs as you have been considering. But adding LED lights to your interior is the perfect time to put fixtures where you really need them. In our 13' 1984 Burro, we added LED fixtures to illuminate the front dinette area (formerly a bunk) and the rear bed area. The small puck fixtures are relatively inexpensive and can be put on dimmers. If you are handy you can figure out how to run the small 12V wires to where you need them.

We also put a flexible light strip composed of a line of LED's over the sink-stove area, also on a dimmer. This was a terrific upgrade from the stock light which was a fluorescent tube shining in your face. The strips can be cut at about every 2 inches allowing you to make exact custom lengths. If you are cheap like me you also don't need the special clip on connectors. Just solder on 18 ga wires with a $4 Radio Shack soldering iron.

Parts came from:
Elemental LED
Superbright LED
Kick lighting.

If you use dimmers be sure to get PWM style (pulse width modulation) as standard dimmers for incandescent will not work. But don't get the cheap $5 dimmers from china. They will not handle the vibration in a trailer and may fail.

Most folks agree that you should get warm white LED's and not "white" as the plain white are too blue and not pleasing.

As for replacing the lamps in the existing fixtures, you get more bang for the buck by changing the cheap socket fixture in your light for a bayonette style mount which will enable you to use the flat cluster lamp style which typically are brighter behind the diffuser in your fixture.

Good luck,
Rick

I'm sure there are some video's online I could watch to see HOW this is done right? (on changing out the socket fixture)

Tags
lighting