Interior Lighting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Boler (Boler Manufacturing
I just bought a 1973 Boler, I am in the process of upgrading the entire electrical system. I have already converted the tail lights and the marker lamps to LED fixtures. I would like to install a few nice LED interior lights as the trailer has no cabin lighting at all. There will be lights mounted above the sink and stove for sure but I was looking for ideas about types of lights and placement of the fixtures to brighten up the whole trailer. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John Jesse
John Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:48 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft

Click image for larger version

Name:	scamplight1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	28001
Hey John, I just replaced my old lighting with an under the counter LED light from Lowes. It was a little pricey ($85.00), but has a dimmer on it ,and SO worth it. Good luck
Rachaelholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
I found some cool little battery-operated LED lights that stick onto a magnet. They are motion sensitive, shut off automatically after one hour, and have two brightness levels. I use one as a "rover", moving it from magnet to magnet mounted directly to the fibreglass shell, or by two magnets, one on each side of the closet fiberglass.

Picture of two of these lights mounted in my....'73 Boler.

I found them at Totem Building Supplies in Calgary, in the impulse-buy bins. I'll try and find a package and get the brand name.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02514.JPG  
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #4

[quote]
Attachment 28001

Rachel: That looks really nice, does it run off of a 12 volt circuit or is it 110 volt?

Mike: If you could find the info for those style lights that would be awesome.

Thanks,
John
Old 05-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Quote:
I found some cool little battery-operated LED lights that stick onto a magnet. They are motion sensitive, shut off automatically after one hour, and have two brightness levels. I use one as a "rover", moving it from magnet to magnet mounted directly to the fibreglass shell, or by two magnets, one on each side of the closet fiberglass.

Picture of two of these lights mounted in my....'73 Boler.

I found them at Totem Building Supplies in Calgary, in the impulse-buy bins. I'll try and find a package and get the brand name.
I have these same lights.Got them at Canadian Tire.I love them.I use three under my kitchen cabinets.They give lots of light and the bonus factor is they shut off automatically if you forget to.I take them off the magnets when we travel and put them in the boler pouch as I found the they would somtime fall down over rough roads.
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Mike: If you could find the info for those style lights that would be awesome.

Thanks,
John
How i could forget, I don't know. But here it is: The Overachieving Undercabinet Light. I think they were about 15$.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02594.JPG  
Old 05-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hi John,

I converted my 12 volt to a 110 for the LED lighting. I found that there were more options for 110, and we usually camp where there are hookups. Excited to see what you get
Rachaelholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
I would like to install a few nice LED interior lights as the trailer has no cabin lighting at all.

Thanks,
John Jesse
John,

Here is a link to some LED Light Fixtures.

Some members (myself included) have used these and are really happy with them. I have two in the Kitchen area. The light is bright and warm. They are 12V but you need to install a switch. There are threads which show how. I built a fixture but some just drill a small hole and put in a micro switch, mounting the lamp directly to the wall.

Name:	LED_2.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	28035

Hope this helps,

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
I have these same lights. I take them off the magnets when we travel and put them in the boler pouch as I found the they would somtime fall down over rough roads.
OK You got me with that one. What's a Boler Pouch?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Didn't you know that Bolers are Marsupials?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Didn't you know that Bolers are Marsupials?
Hoppy to hear that!
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #12

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Quote:

LOL.Thats what we call them.I guess i just assumed most bolers had them.They are the leather pouches that some bolers have.There are three on our egg,one large one on the inside of the door,and one on either side of the closet.There great for storing all kinds of things.My little lights fit in the one on the closet wall and stay safe.

Name:	resized_boler.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	28050

This shows the pouch on the inside of the door.The other two are a bit smaller.

Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1981
I have the same little Sylvania battery lights in my Scamp and they are really cool. No wires, and you can move them around. I found them at Walmart. Because they use LEDs, the batteries last a long, long time.
Robert SZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #14

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone, I will post pictures when I get everything set up.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #15

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Ok, I'm trying something a little different. I just picked up an '03 Scamp 16 with 6 12v lights... I'm going to replace the 1057 bulbs with this base at $1.50 ea... (I ordered 7 of them) and then I ordered 7 LED G4 lights from this vendor on eBay to go into the bases for $2.65 ea. plus $1.00 s&h. That should allow me to use the original equipment light fixtures and have LED bulbs in them... I should be able to do all six for about $40. The plastic light fixture covers ought to act as nice diffusers, but I don't know if the LED bulbs will be bright enough through them... but for $40 total, I thought I'd gamble that the'd be OK.

It'll be two to four weeks before the lights get here from Hong Kong... but I'll report back on how they work, and whether I ordered the right color or not. I ordered the "pure white" rather than the "warm white" which mimics incandescent lighting. We'll see...

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #16

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Roger, that is way cheaper than similar solutions from other distributers! Please let us know how it pans out.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Following that lead, I found white LEDs with the added resistor to operate on 12V. $1 for 20 and $1.76 shipping. I will modify some existing fixtures, including an oil lantern to accept these
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #18

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
You rebel, you.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Hoppy to hear that!
You said that on porpoise, just for the halibut, didn't you?

Seriously, though, I saw a new source for LEDs advertised in the latest issue of the Good Sam magazine, Highways, the one with the lighthuse on the cover. On page 16 the add is for Starlights Inc. I haven't check them out yet, but a Woodalls article says this outfit has developed some new, RV oriented replacement LED bulbs. Anyone try'em yet?

Gina, you desert rat, you. Are you settled in at your new digs in the Northwest yet? Seen any giant fern spiders, yet?
WtMtJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting