Inverter & coffee maker - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #21

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Hey there RodJones I think that's a great idea.

If you don't mind wading through the nonsense in my "Boondocking an Electric Heater" thread, the information is all there, sprinkled throughout. The Eggers involved in taunting and tempting me along the quest took side road explorations of the coffee addiction with me.

In the end I'm running a hotel model Keurig at a cost of 2 amp hours per cup.
Here's a link to the mathmagical world sprinkled with formulas and stats to help you on your journey...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ter-82317.html

Have fun and post what you play with so we can learn from your experience too.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I like the look of that Melitta cone, but don't you want a somewhat finer grind for that than the average drip system? And the percolators like coarse grind. Unless you want to buy a different grind of coffee for camping than for everyday use (or else buy a grinder and whole beans), I'd suggest sticking as close to your favored brewing method as possible.... adjusted for gas flame, of course.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #23

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I use the regular grind coffee from the grocery store in my percolator.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I like the look of that Melitta cone, but don't you want a somewhat finer grind for that than the average drip system? And the percolators like coarse grind. Unless you want to buy a different grind of coffee for camping than for everyday use (or else buy a grinder and whole beans), I'd suggest sticking as close to your favored brewing method as possible.... adjusted for gas flame, of course.
Mike, grinding your own beans is the best thing to do to improve the taste of the coffee, no matter the method used to brew. I would highly recommend it. Even coffee ground a few hours previous starts to lose body and flavour.

I know many could not be bothered, this is just a suggestion I know makes a big difference in taste.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #25

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Mike, grinding your own beans is the best thing to do to improve the taste of the coffee, no matter the method used to brew.
Totally agree. If a cup of MJB tastes the same to you as a cup made from freshly roasted and ground beans, ignore the suggestion. Otherwise, for good coffee, grind the beans each brew. And use a good burr grinder for best flavor.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
What grinder do you guys use camping? I still have a handheld crank one I used backpacking but eventually decided I didn't want the weight (and time - it wasn't quick).
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
What grinder do you guys use camping? I still have a handheld crank one I used backpacking but eventually decided I didn't want the weight (and time - it wasn't quick).
I have used a few manual grinders. Some were terrible to use, and did a poor job on the grind consistency. Some, like Porlex and Hario, did good on the grind but were still labourious to use. I finally bought a Orphan Espresso Lido 3, and just love using it. The grind consistency is great, and the speed it grinds manually cuts the time to less than half others I have used. Plus, it is a very well designed and built piece of kit, I like that. It is one of those things you take pride in owning. The downside is that it costs $195 USD, which is ironic, because the AeroPress I use to make the coffee is only $30.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-04-2017, 07:44 PM   #28

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Makita makes a cordless coffee maker that runs off their rechargeable batteries. That's the good part. The bad part- which tells you the problem- is that it makes up to 15 oz on a full battery charge. (They say 3 5 oz cups- but who drinks 5 oz? And this site doesn't say so but I think it takes 7 or 8 minutes to brew that 5 oz cup.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:21 AM   #29

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
BEST COFFEE ON THE PLANET

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Makita makes a cordless coffee maker that runs off their rechargeable batteries. That's the good part. The bad part- which tells you the problem- is that it makes up to 15 oz on a full battery charge. (They say 3 5 oz cups- but who drinks 5 oz? And this site doesn't say so but I think it takes 7 or 8 minutes to brew that 5 oz cup.
The problem with these battery type brewers, is that they do not heat the water hot enough for full extraction and the cup is left lacking in taste. There is a good reason that this market segment has not flourished.

Heck, even most 120V brewers are poor performers, though there are a few good ones.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:30 AM   #31

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
coffee

I have used a bunn pour over for 35 years makes perfect snob coffee for me!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #32

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Inverter & coffee maker

I found a Coleman stovetop coffee maker on Craig's list shortly after getting my trailer. Never looked back. Great coffee, easy cleanup ... I highly recommend this product.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0259.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	118849
I recently bought the metal Carafe that comes with the Colman Propane coffee maker. No longer worried about breaking the original carafe. How great is that?
Old 05-07-2018, 11:25 PM   #33

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Coffee makers use way too much power for a battery to keep up with.
Put a percolator on the stove with a filter in the basket for easier clean up.
It also gives a quick warm-up to the trailer on a chilly morning.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:33 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You can get a much simpler, more compact and cheaper coffee maker than that. Look up Melita pour over coffee maker. It's a cone filter holder ( available in one to six cup sizes ). You heat the water on your propane stove in whatever container you have. Pour it into the filter holder with enough ground coffee for your taste. We have a thermal carafe, but you can use glass or just use your cup, if it's large enough.
Check out: https://ineedcoffee.com/the-melitta-...-coffee-maker/
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 10.25.44 PM.png  
Old 05-08-2018, 03:13 AM   #35
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We use to make cowboy coffee. We've moved on to this. OXO pour over. $16. Uses no.2 filters.
Attached Thumbnails
_20180508_050841.JPG  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:06 AM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
You do, and that's exactly what we do- buy a special supply of coffee for camping. We treat ourselves to something nice. It's part of what make camping special for us.

You could grind it yourself, which allows you to adjust for your brewing method and produces the freshest result. We haven't taken it to that level, as good grinders aren't cheap, and it makes another thing to pack and store in our tiny trailer. We just have the coffee shop grind it for pour-over and finish off whatever's left at home using the cone.

Love the pour-over method for camping because it's so simple and lightweight, and the same pot makes hot water for the kids' cocoa. We use a small 1-2 cup Melita cone ($3) and make it into large, thermal travel mugs, which stay hot for a couple of hours (on a cold morning it helps to preheat the mugs with some hot water). No carafe to store or clean.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #37

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Quote:
AreoPress
French Press
Pour Over
Percolator
Cowboy Coffee

Some ways to make coffee without 120V AC, and it tastes better than what most electric pots make. Most electric pots do not heat water enough to properly extract from the grounds.

Otherwise you have to have an inverter that is larger than whatever the draw of your electric coffee maker is.
Why we use the AeroPress.

Makes excellent tasting coffee.

Unlike a French Press it uses nearly no water (at a premium boondocking) for clean up. The "puck" of coffee grounds and the little filter are ejected into the trash, and the bottom can be wiped off with a napkin or paper towel. Minimal or no rinsing is required.

It makes one cup at a time so the coffee is always freshly made.

It is faster than a pour over drip cone filter (once the water is boiled of course). The water is pushed through the coffee. No waiting for gravity.

If we buy coffee at a commercial coffee store such as a Starbucks etc or a store with whole beans and a commercial bulk grinder, we grind one step up from the finest setting (turkish), which is usually one step finer than the espresso grind setting.

Click here to link to see one on Amazon.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:43 AM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
Why we use the AeroPress.

Makes excellent tasting coffee.

Unlike a French Press it uses nearly no water (at a premium boondocking) for clean up. The "puck" of coffee grounds and the little filter are ejected into the trash, and the bottom can be wiped off with a napkin or paper towel. Minimal or no rinsing is required.

It makes one cup at a time so the coffee is always freshly made.

It is faster than a pour over drip cone filter (once the water is boiled of course). The water is pushed through the coffee. No waiting for gravity.

If we buy coffee at a commercial coffee store such as a Starbucks etc or a store with whole beans and a commercial bulk grinder, we grind one step up from the finest setting (turkish), which is usually one step finer than the espresso grind setting.

Click here to link to see one on Amazon.
I usually make two cups at a time in an Aeropress (on my second right now ), as my wife loves coffee too.

I mostly roast my own coffee, but have found a couple brands to buy in stores that aren't bad when I run out of my own, but very much prefer going to local roasteries, and buying freshly roasted offerings from them.

I grind to near a fine grind, a touch coarser than drip, yet fine enough to get good extraction from. Within reason, the time left with the grounds immersed will provide the right extraction for any given ground, as long as it is fine enough. Too fine and I find pressing a problem.

I resuse the paper filters probably 20-30 times, and do use a SS filter some too, especially when camping.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #39

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
perc here....

found a nice, all SS percolator at a camping store for under 40 bucks...

process starts the night before...when ready to do dishes, I fill percolator from the hot water tap...by the time perc is full, hot water has reached the faucet (no water waste)....when dishes are done, add coffee to the perc and set it on the stove....in the morning just light the burner the perc is on

(I'm in a real "fog" when I wake up in the morning...lighting the stove is about all I can handle without screwing up....so the "fill the perc the night before" works well for me)

every two camping trips throw the perc in the dishwasher at home
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #40

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Quote:
I usually make two cups at a time in an Aeropress (on my second right now ), as my wife loves coffee too.

I resuse the paper filters probably 20-30 times, and do use a SS filter some too, especially when camping.
I am curious how you are making 2 cups at a time. For us, 1 level scoop with the provided scooper makes a perfect cup, filling the tube with hot water to the top. Eject after pressing, and repeat for second cup. Are you making two passes?

And how, (and why) are you using the paper filters repeatedly? They are pretty cheap.

(By the way, we are coming to the reunion, maybe we can meet up and compare notes).
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote