Inverter Generator Recommendations? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #29

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Registry
I like the Honda and Yamaha units, they are nice. But for my very limited usage the Champion is just fine. Heck even the Harbor Freight would probably be ok.

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #30

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Mike, we have an 01 19' Scamp with the original AC (13.5, I think) and have had no trouble running it with our EU3000is Honda of roughly the same vintage. At 150 lbs +/-, its about all I want to handle lifting into the back of the Tacoma but still doable. For me, the electric start more than offsets the weight (it did start easily with just a couple of pulls when the original battery died).

Noise may not be a big issue for you when boondocking but the 3000 is actually quieter than Honda's EU2000is when powering the AC because it doesn't have to rev as high. I don't have any experience with their new 2200 models so can't comment.

We actually don't use a genset very much when camping as the Maxxfan does a good job of cooling the trailer but it's proven invaluable during extended power outages at home. Last winter, an ice storm knocked out the electricity and, used continuously for several days, a tank of gas would easily last through the night.

Maintenance has been nothing more than new filters and a spark plug every couple of years.

Al & Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #31

Name: Hugh
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
a/c with a 2000 watt inverter generator (soft start)

I don't know if this would help. I have seen these soft start units on the web. and kind of been interested in trying one. I am not sure ,but I think they are some kind of inverter that spools the compressor up slowly by spooling the frequency (HZ) of the power during compressor start up. The only thing I know about this unit is what I have read on the web

https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267

There is another product that helps on startup by turning the fan motors off during start up, but I think you would also need a hard start cap with this product and I don't think it will works as well as the one above

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Easy-Start-...Class!58238!US!-
hghsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:10 AM   #32

Name: Rick
Trailer: Casita
Texas
We have a Champion 3400-watt dual-fuel inverter with electric start. It can use either gasoline or propane. We have never put gas in the tank. It comes with a quick-disconnect propane hose and regulator.

To start: Connect the hose, open the propane valve and start the engine. To stop: Close the propane valve. The engine runs until all of the propane is cleared from the hose and the engine (a few seconds). That's it! No handling of gasoline, no worries about gas going bad or varnished parts, and no worries about explosive fumes building up when I close by truck bed cover.

I have it secured at the rear of my truck bed. I just flip down the tailgate so that it can exhaust behind the truck. I have a Walmart plastic trunk with the lid removed, which is perfect for holding two propane tanks. Besides running the generator, the tanks can be used as spare trailer tanks, so I am never at risk of unexpectedly running out of propane.

Pville211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, generator