Inverter Generator Recommendations? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #41

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
The extra power in the Ryobi 2200 seems to be enough to avoid that issue.

Walt
Old 03-06-2020, 06:54 PM   #42

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
I run our 13,500 btu a/c with a dual-fuel (gas/propane) Yamaha 2000. Starts and runs with no issues, genny is quiet and stays in truck bed.
Towed by 2018 Chevy High Country Duramax
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #43

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Yikes, that Champion is 96 lbs?? I'd need ramps to get that on and off the tailgate of my truck.

Leave it in the bed of the truck and run an extension cord.
Yikes, indeed!

Unfortunately, we tow with a SUV. There is no way we can transport a generator. It has to be mounted on the trailer.

@ HGHSL: Older ACs do not always work with soft start kits, as with my BF 19 (and my current trailer). I travel with dogs want enough watts to be able to start my AC in an emergency. So, a Honda 3000i did not meet my needs and was expensive.

The Champion 3400 was my first generator. It could start my AC, weighed less than the Honda, and was within my budget. It weighed 103 lbs & thank goodness I was able to safely mount it on the back of my trailer. It proved to be a reliable work horse, and I have no qualms purchasing another Champion product.

But it was LOUD & thank goodness I camped in dog training areas, many times alone. When others trailers were present, I could usually park away from them. Even so, they were usually owned by people who more than naught also had loud generators. But ... I did feel guilty.

Unfortunately, Champion did not manufacture a inverter generator 12 years ago. Now they do, and their generators get great reviews. I have my sites on a Champion 2000 Inverter Generator. It has a 53 dBA rating, which will ease my guilt. And ... the Champion weighs 46 Lbs!

@ HGHSL: I have also learned that a knowledgeable RV service professional can rewire my AC to start with 2000 Watts. (Take that Manufacturer!). So, I now have the option to use my AC. Yay technology.

BTW, I have heard good things about Harbor Freight Predator Inverter Generators. But based on my positive experience with Champion, I recommend their 2000 Inverter.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:41 PM   #44

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I bought a 4250 watt dual fuel Champion generator which cost me $249
It does everything I want whether its at my pole barn or at the deer shack . Unlike a Honda it runs well in cold weather
We do NOT use the generator for camping , not our style !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:23 PM   #45

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I bought a 4250 watt dual fuel Champion generator which cost me $249
It does everything I want whether its at my pole barn or at the deer shack . Unlike a Honda it runs well in cold weather
We do NOT use the generator for camping , not our style !
Well, Champion makes great products, and they have superb customer service. I have in fact used mine in temperatures in the low 30s. It always started immediately! What’s not to like?

Everyone has their own camping style - and personal energy requirements.

BTW, I’m on track to go solar this year. I’ve recently installed a Battle Born lithium battery, and am in the process of testing it.

Per my research, it’s tricky to camp with solar for extended periods of time. Eventually, you’ll have to recharge the battery (even with daily, optimum sunlight). So, if I get a generator, it would be used primarily for backup - and access to my microwave every once in a while. Piece of mind (and Healthy Choice entrees) are important to me.

My battery purchase is dependent on weighing the trailer & tongue. The BF21RB (rear bunk) carries a great deal of weight in the rear of the trailer, where the fresh water tank & basement storage are located. This is exasperated by locating the new battery inside the cabin.

We try to counter that by filling the tank with a minimum amount of water and locating our clothing bags & other provisions in the front of the cabin while under tow. However, I suspect that I have a low tongue weight which may negate the addition of that generator. So, keep your fingers crossed.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:15 AM   #46

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I bought a Pulsar 2200 watt dual fuel generator because I hated to deal with gasoline while traveling.
I added a second LP tank to the front of my much modified 16' Scamp since I no longer have to worry as much about tongue weight.
I have never put gasoline in the generator so I don't have to worry about bad gas messing with the carb.
Of course it puts out a little less power, but with my inverter heat pump there is no starting surge etc.
The largest load is the microwave and it is an inverter as well and it also works well with the generator.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:20 AM   #47

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Well, Champion makes great products, and they have superb customer service. I have in fact used mine in temperatures in the low 30s. It always started immediately! What’s not to like?

Everyone has their own camping style - and personal energy requirements.

BTW, I’m on track to go solar this year. I’ve recently installed a Battle Born lithium battery, and am in the process of testing it.

Per my research, it’s tricky to camp with solar for extended periods of time. Eventually, you’ll have to recharge the battery (even with daily, optimum sunlight). So, if I get a generator, it would be used primarily for backup - and access to my microwave every once in a while. Piece of mind (and Healthy Choice entrees) are important to me.

My battery purchase is dependent on weighing the trailer & tongue. The BF21RB (rear bunk) carries a great deal of weight in the rear of the trailer, where the fresh water tank & basement storage are located. This is exasperated by locating the new battery inside the cabin.

We try to counter that by filling the tank with a minimum amount of water and locating our clothing bags & other provisions in the front of the cabin while under tow. However, I suspect that I have a low tongue weight which may negate the addition of that generator. So, keep your fingers crossed.
I have run my Champion generator in temps as low as - 15 below F .
It took a few extra pulls to start but after that it ran flawlessly for 3 hours
Honda generators had an issue with their crankcase ventilation system
In cold weather the vent would freeze shut causing the generator to die under load. They finally came out with a modified vent in hopes of solving the problem
From what I know the improved vent was expensive and worked sometimes .
If you’re running the generator in moderate climates it worked well but if you had to depend on it in cold weather , it would not be my first choice .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:23 AM   #48

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
In June of 2015, I bought a small toy hauler/camper and planned to boon-dock some when traveling and/or hunting. I started looking at generator options and I found the generators for travel trailers from Honda. It allows me to enjoy all the luxuries of home at any camping site. It produces 2800 watts of clean and fuel-efficient power and is capable of simultaneously powering all the essential appliances. This Honda Inverter Gas model EG2800IA weighs just thirty-four pounds. It has a compact design with handles for easy lifting. Therefore, you can move it by yourself without much hassle.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:43 AM   #49

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
In June of 2015, I bought a small toy hauler/camper and planned to boon-dock some when traveling and/or hunting. I started looking at generator options and I found the generators for travel trailers from Honda. It allows me to enjoy all the luxuries of home at any camping site. It produces 2800 watts of clean and fuel-efficient power and is capable of simultaneously powering all the essential appliances. This Honda Inverter Gas model EG2800IA weighs just thirty-four pounds. It has a compact design with handles for easy lifting. Therefore, you can move it by yourself without much hassle.
Astonishing for a 2800!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:45 AM   #50

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
On that Honda, I believe it’s an open frame generator. If so, they tend to be noisier and usage is prohibited in many campsites.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:37 PM   #51

Name: tom
Trailer: casita
Connecticut
Not 34 lbs

According to the web, that generator weighs 67 1/2 lb..
hts1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:16 PM   #52

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
I guess I'm with ya on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
I was trying, as politely as I'm capable of, to point out that this is a well worn topic. A generator is something we both may use but the background assumptions may be different and that I, personally, would rather not have to wade through stick-built trailer issues on a molded fiberglass RV site. I view this a bit like the camel getting his nose into the tent.

I can find 3 or 4 dedicated forums for towable winnebagos.

I'm still trying to be polite but it is my opinion.

We are after all decidedly not stick built...
Old 11-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #53

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Sam's Club has the A1 Power 2200 watt for $399. I bought one a year ago, and runs my Coleman 9000 btu just fine. It is set up good for RV use. Pull out handle with wheels. Twist lock for 20 amps and 2 15 amp sockets. Saved me during the Feb. freeze and the last hurricane when the power went out. Ran the fridge and the heater blower in the house. Itreplaced a HF Predator 2000 which was barely adequate.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:46 AM   #54

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
It starts quickly, runs quietly, is oil and fuel-efficient, and, most of all – portable. If your RV needs a good power generator, this one can easily fill your needs.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:59 AM   #55

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
generator

I use this one:https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ene...00p/1001621019
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:09 PM   #56

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
I just acquired an Energizer 2000P EZ portable generator. The "P" stands for allowance of running a second in parallel. I was told I could run my roof AC 11000 by adding the Easy Start.
My new AC gets installed tomorrow. I am interested in seeing how it works out. I shall let you know how we fare.

More importantly than AC, however, will my Delonghi Magnifico Espresso machine work? This will be life changing!

Btw, I appreciate this thread VERY much as I just purchased a small Class C, fiberglass-sided motorhome and hope to utilize the generator and solar suitcase in the Class C, my Lovebug, and perhaps my fiberglass sailboat. All this information is priceless!

Finally, and respectfully, if one doesn't like a thread, why not tap the "ignore this thread" option?
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, generator