Inverter Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #1

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Burro
Idaho
Inverter Question

Hi all, I am very new to the electrical topic and have a few questions about my current setup. I previously gutted my '78 Burro and now have 2 deep cycle batteries, one is running all of my lights and water pump, the other is only hooked up to an inverter. My inverter is a 1000w (CAT 1000-Watt Power Inverter-CPI1000 - The Home Depot ) and I feel like I'm draining my battery too quickly. I only use it to charge small devices (cell phones and camera) and occasionally a small laptop. The inverter says it draws 8.3 amps, but is that constant any time it's switched on or does it depend on what I have plugged in? Could I get away with a lower wattage and lower amperage inverter?

I've been searching for an answer here but haven't found one applicable, so thank you in advance!
Bryana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Turn the inverter off, go to Walmart or a drug store and purchase a small charger that plugs into a cigeratte lighter socket 12VDC and charge your 5VDC devices using that. They cost around $5 each.
Now, Connect your batteries up in Pharrell and you will have double the 12VDC for you to use.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
As Darwin says, do away with the inverter unless you have some other device you need that runs off 120VAC and buy the 12 volt cigarette plug and hook the two 12 Volt DC batteries in perellel +to+ and - to -
Do you have a converter/charger in the camper?
If so the batteries will charge when pluged into shore power.
If not you will need to charge your batteries some other way.
Take them out and charge at home with battery charger....Solar panel with controler as not to over charge...Generator with a 12 volt charger.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Sounds like a 1000 watt inverter is overkill for charging small electronics. Try a 100 watt version if you don't want to use low voltage charging. That will have a much smaller standby demand and be plenty for the devices you list.

I too recommend low voltage (12 volt DC to USB or laptop charger) charging. The inverter just wastes watts with its internal inefficiency.

Good luck, john

See this tread for more info. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-69665.html
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:40 PM   #5

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Burro
Idaho
First off, thank you for the quick and straight forward replies!

Here is what I have decided to do:
I am wiring the two batteries in parallel, then running my lights and water pump in one direction because those are already tied together.
I ordered this for my external charging needs https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I will rig that to a small fuse box, then into the the battery. From my research, that should charge phones, tablet, cameras, etc, and I can figure out a 12v plug for my Macbook if needed. I really like that the charger has a circuit breaker for when it's not needed. This should simplify and minimize my energy usage.
Next hurdle I will be researching- solar charging, or charging from my tow vehicle. Thanks!
Bryana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:08 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
The only time you need a 1000 watt inverter is if you are running a microwave or some other high wattage appliance. Meanwhile, the inverter is using some standby power all the time, wether it is running an appliance or not.

So, they are very useful, but leave it off unless you need it. You can buy a much smaller, approximately 100 watt, inverter that plugs into your 12 volt cigarette lighter plug. This will have a lower standby loss and still charge your phone or laptop. You can leave it unplugged until you need it. These can be found at Walmart or other stores.

There is no reason to keep your batteries separated. Hooking them up in parallel is the best way to manage them. You can buy a simple digital volt meter that plugs into one of your cigarette lighter sockets and tells you the current charge level by showing the voltage. These can be found at auto parts stores, Walmart or Camping World.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryana View Post
I ordered this for my external charging needs https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
!
I have had good luck with two similar dual USB power plugs from Blue Sea. Nice products.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Look here for all kinds of gadgets
http://www.dxsoul.com/product/iztoss...mpaign=product

Quality car accessories are on show
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote