Inverters - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Inverters

What size inverter would be needed to properly operate an oxygen generator. A friend living close to 500 miles away wants to attend our college homecoming. He'll need to be able to operate his oxygen generator on the way to and from our house. His oxygen generator draws just a hair less than 5 amps. Thanks for your help.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If it draws 5 amps at 120 volts, that is 600 watts. I'd go with a 1000 watt inverter to be on the safe side. The other question is whether it needs a pure sine wave to operate. My guess is that it does need a pure sine converter, which is more expensive.

Example: http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/prowatt_sw_1000.html

Just a thought, can you rent something from a local medical supply, or use a tank temporarily?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
What size inverter would be needed to properly operate an oxygen generator. A friend living close to 500 miles away wants to attend our college homecoming. He'll need to be able to operate his oxygen generator on the way to and from our house. His oxygen generator draws just a hair less than 5 amps. Thanks for your help.
You should double check the power reqirements for his oxygen generator to be sure... 600W seems like a lot. Also check to see whether it requires pure or modified sine wave. I looked one up for an example and it said max was 1.7A. another at only 0.5A.

Still you could buy a car plug-in inverter...

Take your actual Amps, multiply it by the voltage and you get wattage. Small inverters are sold by wattage output.
EXAMPLE... 1.7Amps times 120Volts equals 204Watts.
If it's 0.5A then you would need 60Watts of power.
I'd suggest allowing an extra 10-20% excess capacity.

Look Here....
Inverter Car Plug - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at Nextag - Price - Review
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Nowhere did I say 600 watts. He told me 150 watts which I neglected to include in my original post. They have one built in in their car but nobody including the Ford dealer can tell him anything about it. Thanks again.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
.............. His oxygen generator draws just a hair less than 5 amps. ............
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
If it draws 5 amps at 120 volts, that is 600 watts. ...........
Quote:
Nowhere did I say 600 watts. .............
Old 08-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Oxygen generators are actually oxygen concentrators. They typically use a compressor. Compressors generally have high startup currents, usually above their rated wattage.

I would agree with at least a 1000 watt inverter. As to a sinewave converter, I doubt this is needed for running a compressor. As well all the internal electronics will convert the AC to DC and should function just fine.

Our Inverter is a Black and Decker that only cost us $59 at the Black and Decker outlet store. It is not a sine wave converter. We've used it to run everything in the trailer without issue. As well we have used it to run a small AC refrigerator with a compressor.

It's apparant that you will not have an AC connection and will be running off batteries. I assume the concentrator does not have to run continuously, 4-5 amps at 120VAC is a lot of current for any battery to supply.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Late to the party on the 500 watts though many of them are rated at 500 watts.... 150 watts is a much lower level of power and easier to accomplish but even this level will probably not run off the cigarette lighter inverter and probably require hard wiring to the battery.

Most of the oxygen concentrators use compressors. If his doesn't.... do you think you could give us the brand and model number and I'm certain one of us could more fully answer the question.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My understanding is portable battery operated units are available that will plug into a cigarette lighter to help charge the battery. Perhaps a local medical supply house will rent one for the time need. Just a thought.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
.......................Just a thought, can you rent something from a local medical supply, or use a tank temporarily?
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
............ Perhaps a local medical supply house will rent one for the time need. Just a thought.
Good idea!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Sometimes good ideas bear repeating...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote