LED Brightness Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Thumbs up LED Brightness Questions

Hello All

I know there are several postings here about LED's, and I guess here is another. . (sorry) if someone can point me to a good one answering these questions, or if someone would like to take a stab, it would be greatly appreciated.

It’s a three part question, but first here are my basics.

I have a 1980 scamp 13 with three basic interior lights, a square 12V on either side with a bayonet mount (15S) bulb on either side. I am guessing an 1141 bulb with approx 402 lumens for a new bulb. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Part 1) Who has actually replaced just the bulb in the 12V fixtures with an LED type bulb? What is the light rating and color, and are they bright enough and is the light warm. (don’t want green, or bright white light). I am thinking maybe a brighter light on the dining table side of the cabinet and maybe not as bright towards the front of the trailer.

Part 2) Who has replaced the entire 12V light fixture, I like the idea of keeping it square, not round to keep my trailer looking as relatively "stock" as possible. Definitely want to use LED, any suggestions?

Part 3) Eventually I would like to go all 12V on everything and remove the hideous florescent light mounted to the wall above the sink, with perhaps a strip of LED's above the sink and stove. I don’t want a bunch of transformers etc to deal with, so a nice looking strip with I can just hard wire into my 12 V circuitry would be nice. Maybe a dimmer.

Opinions, comments, suggestions, links to discussion boards.

As a final note, I have looked at several LED sights and trailer sights, so "generic" postings probably won’t help me much, but personal experience, likes AND dislikes will help a lot.

Thank you all!!!
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Jimbo. I bought my LED's from here
LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS
They are warm white, 160 lumen 15 led "bulbs" that replaced incandescent 921 bulbs. They work great and draw less that .2 amps but are expensive. Most folks on the forum are buying theirs from vendors on EBay. If you want cheap that's the place to go. From your comments I suspect "warm white" is what you will want. Good luck, Raz
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
JImbo, Peterh has posted a lot on LED's, worthy of a search.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
IKEA LEDBURG LED light strips are actually 12 VDC lights that can be wired direct without using the provided power supply. You can string at least 12 strips together. I used them as under cabinet lights in my small motorhome, as well as in my own kitchen, and am very happy with the results.

I have also installed six the 68 LED fixtures from:
http://stores.ebay.com/12v-Auto-and-...id=p4340.l2563 (Look for the LED lights)
in our (now sold) 13' SCAMP and out 1973 Hunter Compact. At about $16 for a complete fixture and light it's hard to beat and we are vey happy with the results.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #5

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I've replaced he incadescents in three trailers and just recently an overhead camper I just bought with 36 LED panel lights.
Most have been in the original fixtures.
Original fixtures with opaque lenses seem to work better with the bright LEDs.
I read a lot and have added clear lens fixtures in the areas where I read and use the warm light in them.
They all seem to be better than the incadescents.
I have bought all of them on ebay and purchased the least expensive LEDS.
I have never had a bad light.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #6

California
Registry
Thanks for all the input. I will try to
Post a link to the fixture where I just want to
Replace the warm bulb and i will check the
Links. (ebay links will be helpful since there are soooo many on eBay).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3391326030.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	49099

Definitely want to put a strip below the cabinet above the sink. Nice to know you don't need an adapter

What lumen strength is everyone happy with. Too dark is No bueno nor is too bright !

I remember reading a review on a bulb rated at 150 lumens or something and they hated it. Is 300 lumens good or even 200 or shall I look for something as high as 400....

Thanks again. This really helps

Cheers
Old 07-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #7

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller

I have also installed six the 68 LED fixtures from:
http://stores.ebay.com/12v-Auto-and-...id=p4340.l2563 (Look for the LED lights)
in our (now sold) 13' SCAMP and out 1973 Hunter Compact. At about $16 for a complete fixture and light it's hard to beat and we are vey happy with the results.
how warm is the light? Looks like a cool white but depending on the white balance of the camera it should actually be quite pleasing. Thx!
Old 07-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I replaced the interior lamps (#1141) in my Scamp with lamps from LED trailer lights. The LED lamps install like the standard # 1141lamps. They LED lamps produce 252 lumens and the color is warm white similar to the incandescent (My chart shows an #1141 lamp produces 264 lumens and a # 1156 produces 402 lumens) Plenty of Light with the LED's! I replaced my exterior lamp (#1141) with the same style lamp only in bright white (320 lumens) again plenty of light.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE="Thee Jimbo"]Hello All

I know there are several postings here about LED's, and I guess here is another. . (sorry) if someone can point me to a good one answering these questions, or if someone would like to take a stab, it would be greatly appreciated.

It’s a three part question, but first here are my basics.

Part 1) Who has actually replaced just the bulb in the 12V fixtures with an LED type bulb? What is the light rating and color, and are they bright enough and is the light warm. (don’t want green, or bright white light). I am thinking maybe a brighter light on the dining table side of the cabinet and maybe not as bright towards the front of the trailer.

I replaced the bulbs in my square fixtures with LED no problems. Came in bright white or warm white. Picked them up at an RV store they are brighter than the old ones.
Attached Thumbnails
image-1361136664.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #10

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
In the ebay search box type in 1156 36 LED panel lights.
You can buy them for less than $5.00 peice.
I have tried the bulb types and the panel lights are much better and less expensive.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote