LED light testing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #15

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1979 13' Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Just as an aside, if you go with the 36 or 48 LED panels, it is a good idea to add a voltage regulator as LEDs turn any voltage over 12 volts into a lot of extra heat - enough to destroy them. The good news is that you can get a voltage regulator for about $1.50 on eBay. Search for LM2940CT-12
How and where do you connect the regulator in the circuit?

Noel

Old 02-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #16

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
The reason I did my testing in the first place was to "satisfy my own needs and curiosity", hopefully provide a guide to help others make somewhat informed decisions and to test the validity of the factory specs. According to my tests on the 48 LED bulb, the factory specs are not correct.

My test equipment only had a resolution of .1 amp. So .01 amp to .09 = .1 amp, etc. I really didn't figure it mattered a whole lot since .1 amp over 10 hours usage only adds up to 1 amp. Suffice it to say that all LED's will provide significant power savings compared to incandescent bulbs.

Aaah... your meter resolution is pretty standard but it could easily be hiding those extra milliamps.

My reading were taken in "LUX" not "LUMENS". Mainly because I already a LUX (Candlepower) meter. According to the web site that I provided In Link One:

"The difference between the lux and the lumen is that the lux
takes into account the area over which the luminous flux is
spread. 1000 lumens, concentrated into an area of one square
metre, lights up that square metre with an illuminance of 1000
lux. The same 1000 lumens, spread out over ten square metres,
produces a dimmer illuminance of only 100 lux.

So then 190 lumens according to factory specs was measured at 160 Lux 30 inches away? That seems reasonable.

Again, I wasn't taking the factory specs as gospel, that is why I did the testing in the first place.

As far as retesting goes, I stand by my original somewhat home-brew results. If you want to retest, I suggest you do it yourself.
Thanks again for the effort. I only wish I had a lux meter. I plan to order the LEDs because they are a bargain and are not that awful cool blue white. My solar charge controller may be accurate enough to measure the current they use so I will report back on what I find out.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #17

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Quote:
Just as an aside, if you go with the 36 or 48 LED panels, it is a good idea to add a voltage regulator as LEDs turn any voltage over 12 volts into a lot of extra heat - enough to destroy them. The good news is that you can get a voltage regulator for about $1.50 on eBay. Search for LM2940CT-12
How do we know they do not have a voltage regulator built in? And why did they not put one in?
Old 02-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #18

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Dwarf View Post
How and where do you connect the regulator in the circuit?

Noel
The device has three leg connectors. 12 volt power in connects to the left leg, power out connects to the right leg. The center leg is a common ground.
Attached Thumbnails
LM_2940_CT.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #19

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
How do we know they do not have a voltage regulator built in? And why did they not put one in?
I have purchased these from eBay and all the components are visible. There is no voltage regulator. They are made as cheaply as possible and leaving off the voltage regulator saves a little cost.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #20

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I installed the SMD 48's in all my dome lites. They do a pretty good job in light intensity, and the spread is good. The warm white color is also good. I trimmed down the length of a SMD 48 panel with a belt sander and also radiused the corners so it would fit into my swivel spot lights. There are a couple of negatives regarding doing this. One is that the panel will only go into the bucket about 3/4". This makes for some pretty intense glare when looking at the light fixture. The other negative is there is no mounting surface for the panel to stick to. I have not mounted mine yet, just done some light spread testing with the panel stuck in there temporarily. I have not done any current draw testing yet either. Our camping trip 2 weeks ago we still had the incandescent bulbs installed and had no battery problems on a 2 day stay using the furnace a little. Battery measured about 12.5v Sunday night. We should get five days out of the led's I would assume.
Russ
Old 03-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #21

Name: Larry
Trailer: 2010 13 ft Scamp
Michigan
I really appreciate the work and tests you've done. And the fact that you took the time to share your results. It helped me alot.

What do you think of the reply from Thomas G on 2/1/12 recommending the use of a voltage regulator ?

Thanks again,

Larry Singer
Old 03-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #22

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
..........What do you think of the reply from Thomas G on 2/1/12 recommending the use of a voltage regulator ?...........Larry Singer
.............or you could just ask me why I recommended it.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #23
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
The device has three leg connectors. 12 volt power in connects to the left leg, power out connects to the right leg. The center leg is a common ground.
7805 or 7812 ?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #24

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
7805 or 7812 ?
I used a LM2940CT -12 low drop out regulator.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 03-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #25
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
The reason I asked is because the picture you posted showed a 7805 and both were labeled 5v.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #26

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
The reason I asked is because the picture you posted showed a 7805 and both were labeled 5v.
Right. I was answering the question of how to wire the device. This image was handy and I used it for the explanation. You are correct, that the devices shown are 5 volt regulators, but the 12 volt devices are wired identically.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #27

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Singer View Post
I really appreciate the work and tests you've done. And the fact that you took the time to share your results. It helped me alot.

What do you think of the reply from Thomas G on 2/1/12 recommending the use of a voltage regulator ?

Thanks again,

Larry Singer
Thomas gives good advice. The lights are very sensitive to wanting an even 12volt source. The voltage regulators he recommends are a cheap way to assure you don't over power and fry your new lights. I have purchased and will being installing them when I install my new LED light panels.

Spanke
Old 03-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #28
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Right. I was answering the question of how to wire the device. This image was handy and I used it for the explanation. You are correct, that the devices shown are 5 volt regulators, but the 12 volt devices are wired identically.
Hi Tom. Not trying to give you a hard time, I just wasn't quite sure if maybe you were using the 5 volt regulators instead. A while back there was a dicussion on using a 7812. Both drop out and oscillation are issues in my mind. Even the 2940 seems marginal to me, but having never bench tested it I'm not sure how low the input can actually go without loosing regulation. Folks seem to be having fun with this so I don't want to get in the way. Take care, Raz

Tags
light