LED lights - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #21

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
[COLOR="rgb(154, 205, 50)"]
Quote:
It's a bit more difficult to efficiently alter AC to work with DC devices, than to use DC devices with DC.

That also means only half the light output.
[/COLOR]

Byron, You are absolutely right, 1/2 the light on a 1/2 wave with nothing more than the correct resister in line with the LED. AC Altered in the simplest form.

Merry Christmas to all.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
It is difficult to trust any site that is trying to sell new product. When I looked into it about five years ago, LED`s were slightly less efficient (lumins / watt) then florescent. I am sure that as technology progresses, the LED have become more efficient then florescent. The claim that they are twice as efficient seems doubtful to me, but maybe.

I generally laugh at people who quote Wikipedia, but the numbers on Wikipedia look believable to me.
Luminous efficacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For a florescent light, the ballast has a large effect on the efficiency. With an electronic ballast, florescent has an efficiency of 80 to 100 lm/W vs. 4.5 to 150 lm/W for a raw LED. With a theoretical efficiency of 300 lm/W, (44%).

LED's have many other advantages as well. Bulb life is hard to beat, cold temperature performance, compact form, fits in existing fixtures, cheep, low voltage performance, arguably better light quality, .... LED's are obviously the future.

The only point I was trying to make is that it may not yet make sense from a cost vs benefit point of view to change from florescent to LED.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #23

Trailer: Helite
It's a bit more difficult to efficiently alter AC to work with DC devices, than to use DC devices with DC.

Appears there is no dificulity at all to make a DC LED to operate on AC.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art VanDelay View Post

Would you mind describing how it done in both AC and DC cases?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #25

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art VanDelay View Post

It depends a bit on the device. I have several "AC" devices, like my little Radio/DVD/TV system that are designed for installation under a kitchen cabinet, that use "wall wort" AC adapters that step down to 12 volts. To install devices like these all you have to do is wire up a connection between the correct sized plug for the device and your trailer's 12V system and (potentially) add a 12v voltage regulator.

A voltage regulator is helpful for sensitive electronic devices (including many LEDs) because trailer 12v charging systems charge the battery at 14-18 volts. The aforementioned radio/DVD/TV draws less than an amp most of the time with short peak draws of 1.2 amps when the DVD tray is inserting or ejecting a disk, so my regulator is a group of three bridge-wired 1-Amp 7812 voltage regulator chips.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #26

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It appears to me that Art is having a bit of fun at Byron's expense.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights