LED lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #1

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Question LED lights

Need some info. I don't have a shop, don't know much about electrical, and less than that about replacing interior lights. On my UHaul I have the original light fixtures, one above closet and the other above the sink. They are florescent 8 watt little tube lights. There is something in the range hood but I havent even looked at it. What kind of LED lights can I replace the tubes with and hopefully I just plug them in to where the tube would go. Help and info gratefully appreciated. Thanks, Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
once you determine the type of bulbs you need, size,type of base go to here
LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS and look for your replacements. Their technical support is great if you are not sure.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Patti. Lots of good posts on this one. My suggestion is to try using the search feature. I bought my LEDs from Superbright. Some folks have had good luck with eBay aswell. As far as the florescent tubes, you will need to replace the whole fixture. An RV store will stock those. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #4

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
Need some info. I don't have a shop, don't know much about electrical, and less than that about replacing interior lights. On my UHaul I have the original light fixtures, one above closet and the other above the sink. They are florescent 8 watt little tube lights. There is something in the range hood but I havent even looked at it. What kind of LED lights can I replace the tubes with and hopefully I just plug them in to where the tube would go. Help and info gratefully appreciated. Thanks, Patti
I just went through the same process for my Bigfoot. Found it was cheaper and easier to just replace the whole fixture with these new Kaper 11 LED units. They give off a nice white light and are quite stylish. They come with double or single Leds and are on sale right now. One unit even has a nice blue night light built in. Simple 2 wire hook up.

Kaper II LED Lights

Kaper II LED Lights

Kaper II LED Lights

Just now checking the Panther web site, I see they have added the same style light with warm white [3500K] LEDs, so you have a choice for color temperature. Best to phone them and place an order.....very helpful.
Don Dunsmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #5

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
The range hood swap may take some research. I used this LED set up from China. Bright white light and comes with various plug in adapters. Has double sided tape for attaching to fixture. Cheap and works well.

T10 36 SMD LED Light Festoon Dome Bulb Lamp White 12V | eBay
Don Dunsmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #6

Colorado
Registry
Thanks Jim, Raz & Don,
I was hoping not to have to replace the fixtures or re-wire anything, just wanted to change like a household lightbulb, without having to pay rv store 80-95$$ per hour to make a change. I'm still hoping there is something I can do myself. I will call Panther tomorrow and talk to them. Thanks guys!
Patti
Old 11-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
Thanks Jim, Raz & Don,
I was hoping not to have to replace the fixtures or re-wire anything, just wanted to change like a household lightbulb, without having to pay rv store 80-95$$ per hour to make a change. I'm still hoping there is something I can do myself. I will call Panther tomorrow and talk to them. Thanks guys!
Patti
If you want to change them because you want to save power, I would just like to point out that fluorescent and LED are similar in efficiency.

If it's a quality of light issue, I can't argue with you. I did however just install a florescent over my stove. The LED's I am still researching. I want them to replace the low efficiency brake lights that are everywhere else.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #8

Colorado
Registry
Dave,
Not a quality of light issue at all, I really don't have the interior lights on very much at all. I use a battery powered lantern for the short times spent in the trailer. I was thinking there might be a small power savings but like your point about florescents also being efficient. Brake lights are another issue since I'm sure you have read how bad the Uhaul taillight lenses can be--mine are no better and I'm even hesitant to try to remove them, the rubber seal is already in sad shape. Wish there was someone local that had an egg to talk with and show me stuff about my trailer. I will continue my quest for that.

Thanks,
Patti
Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Assuming boondocking is your main mode of camping, then LED's are among the first on the list to do. Google is your friend - remove and ID the lamps in question and search the term with "led". Same with eBay; I bought several bulbs cheap from China that way and am happy with them.

For trailer brake lenses there are several inexpensive light abrasive glaze removal products available in auto parts stores that will help "shine the light" and brighten up the brake lights. LED's are not needed there since the tow vehicles alternator supplies the juice. If however you want brake LED's buy the red ones since white LED's will change the color to pink.
Roger M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #10

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
I thought LED's saved on the battery over fluorescent
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think LED's do save more on battery but you get much more light with a fluorescent, so maybe per lumen they are eqivalent.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Kimble View Post
I thought LED's saved on the battery over fluorescent
I have both, well Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lights, and LEDs.
CCFL 2 12" bulbs together draw 0.5 amps. Enough light to light the kitchen area in my 13' as do most things, not quite enough for reading at the dinette.
LED lights - replacement bulbs in 3 fixtures, 2 additional fixtures over the dinette/bed. Less than 0.2 Amps per fixture.
Original incandescent lights - 1.5amp each.

Right now with all lights on including the porch light I draw about the same amount as with a single original incandescent light.

Watch for the next generation of household lighting, it will LED. Some are available, but the cost is still high, that will change in time.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
If you want to change them because you want to save power, I would just like to point out that fluorescent and LED are similar in efficiency.
I always thought that LED was significantly more efficient than fluorescent and the web sites below seem to say that LEDs use 1/2 to 1/5th the amount of power to produce the same amount of light.

In the paragraph on energy consumption, this web site says LED's are about 5 times more efficient than fluorescent.

LED Vs. Fluorescent Lighting | eHow.com

In the first paragraph on this web site it says that LED's are 2-3 times more efficient than fluorescent. In a later paragraph it also points out that fluorescent uses an iron core transformer that reduces efficiency even more. They also have some tube type LEDs that they call LED fluorescent, but they use a different power source so they can not be used in existing fluorescent fixture.

led ceiling light,led street light,led street lamp,high power led,led light bulb
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
I always thought that LED was significantly more efficient than fluorescent and the web sites below seem to say that LEDs use 1/2 to 1/5th the amount of power to produce the same amount of light.

In the paragraph on energy consumption, this web site says LED's are about 5 times more efficient than fluorescent.

LED Vs. Fluorescent Lighting | eHow.com

In the first paragraph on this web site it says that LED's are 2-3 times more efficient than fluorescent. In a later paragraph it also points out that fluorescent uses an iron core transformer that reduces efficiency even more. They also have some tube type LEDs that they call LED fluorescent, but they use a different power source so they can not be used in existing fluorescent fixture.

led ceiling light,led street light,led street lamp,high power led,led light bulb
What LED fluorescent bulbs are referring to is replacement bulbs for fluorescent lights.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Compare: LED Lights vs CFL vs Incandescent Lighting Chart

Here is a site that shows useage
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
LED efficacy

I would be careful with some of these efficiency claims especially if they use 60W incandescent bulb as reference point instead of lumens/watt. There are some LEDs with 250 lumens/watt efficacy but it will take some time to see them in real life. The following two PDF documents could have too much information but it is good stuff. One is from 2008 and the other one from 2009 but I still think they are relevant.

http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildin...white_leds.pdf

http://cool.conservation-us.org/byor...white_leds.pdf

George.
Attached Thumbnails
energy_efficiency_white_leds.pdf (applicationpdf Object) - Mozilla Firefox 12242011 113523 AM.bm.jpg   comparing_white_leds.pdf (applicationpdf Object) - Mozilla Firefox 12242011 111548 AM.bmp.jpg  

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
I would be careful with some of these efficiency claims especially if they use 60W incandescent bulb as reference point instead of lumens/watt. There are some LEDs with 250 lumens/watt efficacy but it will take some time to see them in real life. The following two PDF documents could have too much information but it is good stuff. One is from 2008 and the other one from 2009 but I still think they are relevant.

http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildin...white_leds.pdf

http://cool.conservation-us.org/byor...white_leds.pdf

George.
Don't be mislead. These comparisons are lamps used in household current fixtures. LED's are approximately 2volt devices and DC devices, perfect for 12 volt trailers. However they require some different technical stuff for 120AC applications.
My measurements for an 1157 LED replacement lamp
Current = .2 amps
Power = (.2x12) 2.4Watts)
Lumens = 252 (per specifications)
efficiency in Lm/W = 252/2.4 105 Lm/W

In this case the efficiency in Lumens per Watt is higher for LEDs than any other light.
I agree with the findings shown in those documents for 120VAC applications. It's a bit more difficult to efficiently alter AC to work with DC devices, than to use DC devices with DC. However, improvements are happening rapidly.

I won't go into all the technical jargon to explain why.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Get the Alternating Supply down to the correct voltage and the LED works without a problem as a half wave rectifier.

Take your Christmas LED rope light and wave one end back and forth with the light on and it will appear as though the light is blinking on and off and that is because it is only on during ½ the AC cycle.

If it does not blink on and off when you do that then it is full wave rectified and turned on , on both cycles of the AC
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Get the Alternating Supply down to the correct voltage and the LED works without a problem as a half wave rectifier.

Take your Christmas LED rope light and wave one end back and forth with the light on and it will appear as though the light is blinking on and off and that is because it is only on during ½ the AC cycle.

If it does not blink on and off when you do that then it is full wave rectified and turned on , on both cycles of the AC
Agree, and if 30/25Hz is too annoying full wave bridge is just a little more money.
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post

That also means only half the light output.

Tags
lights