LED Lights - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post

I am following this thread closely and will look at the others referenced. I do understand your dilema. As you know we are at about the same place in the process of this ligting thing. I have been investigating LEDs as well. I need bright light to read or do tasks by and that seems to be a little bit of a problem for me. I believe that the lumens of a 100 watt incandescent bulb are about 1500 Lumens. Not certain, it has been several days since that part of my research.

I just don't want to spend the money on lights that are too dim. For overhead lighting there is not a real concern, but to prepare food or read, or get out a splinter I need the light. I have run wires for task lighting on the shell and am planning to leave the fixtures till I can see the light production for myself, in person. Maybe at a lighting store or somebody elses camper.

Untill I find the right lights Im planning to use my LED headlamp for task lighting. It worked well for me when I tent camped. I look forward to hearing what you finally decide and if you are happy with your outcome. Hope you will follow up and post.

Cathy, I understand that you need some good reading lights, and I am sure if I aimed one of my new LED lights out the window, pointed southeast from Vancouver Island to Florida, you will be able to see the light...LOL
Seriously, I am very pleased with the lights I ordered and cannot believe how bright they are. They swivel as well. Great for reading. I have placed 4 in the ceiling and the other 2 are mounted on the wall. Like I mentioned before, you have to do some modifications on the bracket and I just drilled a few small holes for the wires to go to the ceiling. Once mounted, the screws holding the fixture to the bracket do not line up, so I just slipped a piece of 16 gauge wire under the bracket...works good now.
I have one mounted under the kitchen cabinet, and it gives great light to one part of the counter, but I have ordered another one for directly light onto the stove area. I was originally going to buy a 500 Lumen LED double fixture for under the kitchen cabinet at a cost of $70 including shipping, but have since changed my mind as these $15 reading lights give off enough bright light for me. They are not blueish in colour .
Here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-12v-Warm-White-LED-Bed-Side-Light-Bright-Reading-Wall-Bedside-Lamp-Switch-/170932895900?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Night_Lights_Fairy_ Lights&hash=item27cc65009c
Price 2 for $21: Shows up on a UK web site I just ordered two more and believe they are the same as what I originally received from Hong Kong below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-12V-Warm-White-LED-Bed-Side-Light-Reading-Wall-Bedside-Lamp-Switch-Caravan-/170932908544?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mt r&hash=item27cc653200

These are the original 3 pairs I ordered and received and have installed Price 2 for $30
Delivery can take several weeks, but I ordered direct from the shipper by paypal and told them I wanted them ASAP. They arrived 3 days later by DHL courier. Shipping was free but DHL charged a processing fee and I had to pay provincial & federal sales tax so the total cost that I paid DHL was only $14.79 for the 6 fixtures.
I did a lot of research on LED lights and cannot stress how pleased I am with them.
Let me know if you need further info...Jim

jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #16
Name: Rick
Trailer: In the Market
I read with clip on battery LED lights from Costco. The basic disposable batteries have lasted through a few books already.

I have been playing with a Schumacher XP400 and wrote an article about it. Funny thing is it doesn't even come with a cord to plug it in.

ImbyRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #17
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Jim, where can you buy the replacement bulbs? Or, do you think these are cheap enough that the whole unit is disposable if the bulbs burn out?
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #18
Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Jim, where can you buy the replacement bulbs? Or, do you think these are cheap enough that the whole unit is disposable if the bulbs burn out?
Donna, I think they claim 50000 hrs of life...I really did not even think of replacements, but perhaps the same supplier have them..just e mail them.
BTW, last night I had two of the lights on over the counter and they were bright enough that I did not need any more lights.
The link I gave you are two different lights, however they have the same output. Jim

jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote