LED Tail Light Blues - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #21

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Denece... I had a similar case but it was only one LED of the ten on the right side stop/turn/tail (end of circuit). Saw it glowing in the night, with the trailer unhooked, so next day I went back and tightened all connections and removed the ground from the frame, sanded off the rust, and replaced it.
Results were "Lights Out"!!!
I always try the simple solutions first...and it seems I do simple really well. LoL
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Denece... I had a similar case but it was only one LED of the ten on the right side stop/turn/tail (end of circuit). Saw it glowing in the night, with the trailer unhooked, so next day I went back and tightened all connections and removed the ground from the frame, sanded off the rust, and replaced it.
Results were "Lights Out"!!!
I always try the simple solutions first...and it seems I do simple really well. LoL
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
As a side note. I used to maintain a fleet of rental trailers. I learned that the ground needs to be soldered to the frame, not attached with a screw. Alternatively, you can run a separate ground wire to each light.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #23

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
A follow up to all your kind suggestions. We contacted Curt who were "aghast" that we had a problem. (Hah!) They sent us a new harness, just like the old one. I mean exactly. So the LEDs still glow. For now we will just be unplugging the egg when not being towed, but once we get the To Do list whittled down some we will have to do the resistor pigtail.
The sad part is that Curt is telling people that the LEDs will take a "couple of months" to run down the TV battery when hubby's calculations put it closer to two DAYS! (He's a retired engineer).
So, I think it's up to us to pass the word so some poor soul doesn't end up stuck in the boondocks with a dead tug!
LEDS will drain your battery if left on 24/7.
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #24

Trailer: Helite
And now you know who the retired engineers that almost flunked engineering work for. Designing LED converters, designing wiring for trucks and so on.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You may want to try a different brand of harness. I changed the tail lights over to LED last year on my Scamp and haven't had that problem and its attached to a Subaru as well. The harness came from UHaul so have no idea what brand it actually is.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #26

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I agree with Carol. Get a refund and then purchase a different brand.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #27

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I was just thinking about what I need/want to do to the Egg'ster and realized I have full LED trailer lights (outside) and no problem with glowing. But I do have one other annoying problem - when the hazard lights flash on the car, nothing happens on the trailer. Well, one tail lamp flickers weakly if the trailer has LED tail lamps, but nothing on regular bulbs.

I have a non-powered tail lamp convertor from Uhaul. Had a convertor box from a trailer shop, but the left turn diode burnt out. Uhaul even had a tech bulletin about it.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #28

Name: Tammy
Trailer: scamp
Oregon
One tail light "on"

Purchased an older model Scamp last fall that has replacement LED tail lights which were installed by the previous owner within the last 3 years. I've been keeping the parked trailer plugged in to house power. Just within the last week we have noticed that one of the tail lights is emitting a very small amount of light - it's so low that you can only see it in the dark from directly behind the trailer. Any ideas?
Tammy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #29

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
That is kinda odd. The tail lights should not be on the same circuit as your power converter. All the power for the outside lights, (other then the porch light) should come from the tow vehicle.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #30

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The tail, stop, running lights are on a separate circuit that IS NOT connected to the lighting in the camper. The only connection is that they may share the frame ground.

It just might be possible, because LEDs take so little voltage to glow that should the tail light wiring be located along with the AC wiring, it may be getting some induction current. That is a really WildAss guess.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #31

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you have electric brakes there maybe be some leakage to the light harness because the coach battery is connected to the brakes via the emergency break away switch.

Also, if you have an older convertor and or battery charger, a lack of adequate filtering may be letting pulsing DC leak into the tail light lines. First, try turning off only the converter and/or the battery charger and see what happens.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #32

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ooops, didn't see that it was a very old thread.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #33

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
My LED-Subaru combo does it, too, but I find it useful. If I forget to unhitch the lights (or the whole trailer) from the car, come night, I'm reminded. I decided it was a problem I could easily live with.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #34

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
My Outback Curt wiring converter does the same thing with trailer LEDs. I just unhook the connector, like Bobby stated the problem is more evident after sunset.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #35

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Ooops, didn't see that it was a very old thread.
The thread is old, but the question is new.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #36

Alberta
Registry
Since Tammy M. does not say she has the trailer hooked up to the tow vehicle, I am liking Bob's theory, I did not realize that the breakaway system was connected to the lights.

Tags
light