Lights out! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
Posts: 285
Registry
The only volt meter i have is the kind that is plugged into 12 v outlet (bought at rv store if it matters) I had a reading in the car but ziltch in trailer outlet. However- That was before battery was disconnected. I will check that out now thanks.
__________________

__________________
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 3,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndi H View Post
Hi, not sure if this will change any suggestions; I finally had a chance to investigate further and when i popped the cover and looked at battery the red was disconnected. Not sure, it may have come loose on drive, but have a VERY vague recollection that someone disconnected it b/c it was going to be sitting for a while. But that is so faint I'm not even sure it happened. Anyway, it would not have charged on the drive up. I cant really drive it around to charge it up so i will try and borrow, rent or buy a battery charger. But- would the battery be chargeable now? Thanks
Could solar be saying "Load Disconnected" because the red wire is off the battery? Like hey man, there is no load to charge connected out there.
__________________

__________________
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
Posts: 285
Registry
i will test that theory. . .
__________________
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Posts: 541
Registry
While your at it check the fluid level in the battery to make sure the cells have a level.
__________________
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
Posts: 285
Registry
Well i took it in and it will not accept a charge. so its dead. I could buy a new battery but dont think that's very wise as it wont be charged up any time soon. I suppose i could leave the solar panels plugged in once and awhile. Would that keep a new battery from dying? How often would it be needed and for how long a session? I dont want to leave them out long as they are $ and my last set was stolen. Thanks a lot.
__________________
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndi H View Post
Well i took it in and it will not accept a charge. so its dead. I could buy a new battery but dont think that's very wise as it wont be charged up any time soon. I suppose i could leave the solar panels plugged in once and awhile. Would that keep a new battery from dying? How often would it be needed and for how long a session? I dont want to leave them out long as they are $ and my last set was stolen. Thanks a lot.
Can you put the solar panel in the window while it is stored? If you have a decent controller, it will maintain the battery indefinitely.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
Posts: 285
Registry
Now that's an interesting idea. I assume that you mean the big windows? (my lock was damaged in the previous theft as well so if anyone saw the panel they could practically just pop the door open and take it.Right now its in the house. I wonder what would be safer- outside in open periodically or in window F/T? Hmmmm.....What do you think? If it was outside how often and long intervals would it need to be set up to maintain a battery life?
__________________
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
You could leave a panel sitting on the rear bed, that would be out of site and enought to maintain a charge.
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndi H View Post
Now that's an interesting idea. I assume that you mean the big windows? (my lock was damaged in the previous theft as well so if anyone saw the panel they could practically just pop the door open and take it.Right now its in the house. I wonder what would be safer- outside in open periodically or in window F/T? Hmmmm.....What do you think? If it was outside how often and long intervals would it need to be set up to maintain a battery life?
I don't know how long and how often you'd need to plug it in and it would be hard to calculate. You could pop $20 and just use one of these:

1.5 Watt Solar Battery Charger
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
Posts: 285
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
You could leave a panel sitting on the rear bed, that would be out of site and enought to maintain a charge.
Thats a good thought. i'll look into that. I am surrounded by trees so may not work as well as it could. I'll watch the sun tmrw. thanks
__________________
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
Posts: 285
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I don't know how long and how often you'd need to plug it in and it would be hard to calculate. You could pop $20 and just use one of these:

1.5 Watt Solar Battery Charger
DUH! I have one of those in my van on the dash. I will relocate it! thanks
__________________

__________________
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lights


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LED trailer lights / Non LED lights on tow vehicle Kevin K General Chat 20 11-24-2010 12:05 PM
Lights Terry R. General Chat 1 10-04-2010 03:48 PM
Lights Scott B. General Chat 1 07-23-2009 09:30 AM
LED lights in Original light sockets - tail lights Cam A Modifications, Alterations and Updates 75 02-15-2009 11:54 PM
Lights Pat And Arleen Modifications, Alterations and Updates 10 12-09-2005 11:13 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.