Lithium vs Lead Acid Batteries - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Lithium vs Lead Acid Batteries

I thought this was an interesting comparison, though certainly the author has a bias toward Lithium. I found especially interesting the differences between charging each type. I now realize why an hour on the generator won't quite do the trick for my batteries. Probably had read that information in a different form, but didn't realize the implications.

422 Nights on Lithium (Batteries) – Slowboat

-- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:13 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I will be replacing our Lifeline AGM batteries, when the time comes, with Battle Born Lithium Iron Sulfate batteries, because of all the reasons outlined in the article.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:18 PM   #3

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD 17'
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I will be replacing our Lifeline AGM batteries, when the time comes, with Battle Born Lithium Iron Sulfate batteries, because of all the reasons outlined in the article.
Dave & Paula
Do you think you will need to change out your charging system when you do the swap? My 2018 Casita sits at 13.8 V when plugged in and I see that the Battle Born LiFe batteries prefer 13.6 V. I've only had my TT a couple weeks and haven't popped the panel to see what I had for a converter/charger and look at specs. I do like your idea and when my AGM goes I will probably be looking at the same change.

IBUPNORTH
ibupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Jeff, I don’t have a converter/charger, but rather just a CTEK smart charger, and the solor controller has adjustable set points. Northern Wind and Power in northern Arizona sells the Battle Born batteries, so when the time comes, I’ll have them look over my set-up.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:31 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1998 14' Burro WB
Illinois
Built in the usa. I am looking doing the same just not sure the cost is justifiable.

Lithionics | Lithionics Battery | Advanced Lithium Ion Batteries
Old 04-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #6

Michigan
Jim, I plan on doing more state forest campgrounds in the future - without AC hookups. Because these batteries can charge rapidly, give about 40% more usable amps for the same rating, last three times longer than AGMs (probably 4 times wetcell), and are half the weight (a huge plus), for me the cost is justified. I'm thinking if you are plugged in most of the time, pretty much any inexpensive deepcycle battery will work while on the road. Just depends how often we want to pull it from the cave to check water or replace them. I need to minimize all that because of some physical "structural" issues. I think the price will come down some in the future and hope these will become optional equipment from trailer manufactuers.

IBUPNORTH
Old 04-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #7

Illinois
I have been weigh the options. There seems to be a scare on the fire issue and I don't know how real that is for the LIFEPO4 batteries. I want to move my batteries inside my coach and the lithium are the only one recommended for that. My wife and I spent 10 days boon docking in a national Heritage site in New Mexico last year and really l liked it. It was in our Escape 19. We have a 180 W Solar panel and 2 Trojan 105 6v. We bought the trailer used so they have 5 years on them. I am not sure what is left. Plus I have a 1990 Sunrader that I want to replace the power center on, as it does not charge the battery. I like PD 4500 series and they now have a special series for lithium batteries. All this started me looking at the lithium. They are so much lighter than the AGM and greater useable capacity. I am really thinking hard about them.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #8

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Not to hijack your thread, but when I went to my local RV store yesterday to talk about getting a deep cycle lead acid battery he was pretty adamant about the increased performance of a "gel" battery. I'm familiar with little ones for bikes, etc, but to run a camper??? I plan to be depending on my battery system to run a little fridge and a few accessories (LED lighting, charger for cell phone and computer) for up to 4 or 5 days at a time, "helping" the battery with a solar panel. What do you guys think about my best type of battery for this??

Froggie

PS The fridge is one of those camping types from Coleman. Supposed to be a relatively low draw.
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #9

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
a couple of observations....

the author of the article is in a boat where weight is a non issue (as opposed to us)

he runs his engine "with big alternator" at least four hours a day....AND he has a generator AND some solar....it almost sounds like he couldn't make up his mind....LOL.....he does consume/need a ton of electrical power it sounds like

good article, thanks for posting
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
As with much of new technology there's early adopters and those that wait. I believe right now is a good time to wait. Battery technology is changing rapidly and tomorrow should bring much better power density, meaning small, lighter, more power batteries. Tesla is working to improve lithium batteries. There's special chargers for lithium batteries (lithium iron or lipro) I have a 2300mah lipro batter and the special charger for it. It's recommended that it's stored at half charge, because of fire potential. It's for a QRP ham radio.

I'm able to do everything I need with my 74AH lead acid battery and 65 Watt solar to keep it charged.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:58 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I believe they are the battery of the future, but it will probably take a few years for pricing to drop and charging technology to get sorted out. Lots of discussions on these batteries on the Airstream forum. Light weight, long life, can use 100% of battery's capacity (versus 50%), can be mounted in just about any orientation, small footprint.

Another product I really don't understand well enough yet sounds interesting.

https://www.costco.com/Goal-Zero-Yet...100338966.html
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:02 PM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibupnorth View Post
Do you think you will need to change out your charging system when you do the swap? My 2018 Casita sits at 13.8 V when plugged in and I see that the Battle Born LiFe batteries prefer 13.6 V. I've only had my TT a couple weeks and haven't popped the panel to see what I had for a converter/charger and look at specs. I do like your idea and when my AGM goes I will probably be looking at the same change.
When I was on the Progressive Dynamics website the other day looking at this very issue they did not currently have a Lithium compatible offering in the way of a charger that could be used in their converters. They offered links to a company that does offer Lithium batteries and chargers.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:12 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I believe they are the battery of the future, but it will probably take a few years for pricing to drop and charging technology to get sorted out. Lots of discussions on these batteries on the Airstream forum. Light weight, long life, can use 100% of battery's capacity (versus 50%), can be mounted in just about any orientation, small footprint.

Another product I really don't understand well enough yet sounds interesting.

https://www.costco.com/Goal-Zero-Yet...100338966.html
It is an easy product to understand.
That product contains a lithium battery and a solar panel that can be used to charge the battery. Also in the case there are built various types of ways to connect to it. There are USB outlets and it as has an inverter built right into the case for plugging in 110v devices.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:16 AM   #14

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
When I was on the Progressive Dynamics website the other day looking at this very issue they did not currently have a Lithium compatible offering in the way of a charger that could be used in their converters. They offered links to a company that does offer Lithium batteries and chargers.

KC, Best Converters seems to offer Magnetek/Parallax 6300/7300/8300 upgrade kits that are lithium compatable. For others interested, look for the 'L' at the end of part number. For example, PD 4645VL designates it has a jumper switch for use with lithium batteries. I'm new at all this so it's possible I misunderstood something but it looks like they have a 35, 45, and 55 amp lithium compatable upgrades.

PD 4645VL 45 Amp Converter Upgrade, Optional Remote Pendant

IBUPNORTH
Old 04-24-2018, 03:32 PM   #15

Illinois
Here is an article from a couple that have been using lithium since 2011. It is a good read. in fact much of their site is great to read. This article talks about the premature aging of their particular batteries/cells. It is 2 years old but it has made me rethink my lithium configuration. I will look at a configurable battery charger and placing in spot that I may be able to do something about the temperature. The more we know the better. I am more than likely going lithium in my sunrader and eventually the escape. I just bought the Sunrader and plan to keep it a while. With lithium I really need to plan the electrical around the batteries.
Living the Lithium Lifestyle – 3.5 Year Lithium RV Battery Update | Technomadia
Old 04-25-2018, 07:19 AM   #16

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
Progressive Dynamics 9100L series are for LFP batteries. They are hard to find on their site but you can search for it. Battle Born sells the PD 9100AL series for their LFP batteries.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:43 AM   #17

Illinois
I have been reading about the Battle Born batteries just yesterday. I started trying to research solar panels and batteries. I found this long forum post on Airstream forum that goes into great detail on the charging of the lithium batteries. My concern was finding a battery that had temperature cutoffs. or a monitoring system that would do it for the battery. Many years ago I bought several Home Depot/Rigid lithium drills/screwshooters. The small ones. I set them up in my garage and left them. We had a cold winter and when I went back to use them 4 out of the 6 batteries would not take a charge. I thought they were just bad batteries. Then I bought a Ryobi tool and when I set it up it had a warning about trying to charge the lithium battery in freezing temps. At the time I did not know about this. So I moved my chargers into a heated area and had no more trouble. The Ryobi had a circuit in it that fed current into the battery to warm it up and then began charging when it was at the right temperature.

I live in cold climate and at the price of these batteries I do not want to run the risk of loosing one of them due to the cold charging factor. Battle Born, Elite Power, and Lithionics are the ones I have found, so far, that have e temperature cut off. Battle Born has a high temp and a low temp charging cut off. But, their biggest battery is 100 AH and I was hopping to find a 160 AH.Then if I needed more reserve I could just add one battery, not two. Here is the post in Airstream forum. Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries - Airstream Forums

The big battery in other forums, Starkpower do not have temp cut off and until they do they are out of contention. I think Batteries and Solar panels are the key. The rest of the equipment is readily available fro Victronic.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #18

Illinois
It is my understanding that Progressive website is out of date and if you call them they will tell you all you need. I have had really good luck taking with the guys at Best Converters. They are a PD dealer and really know what they are talking about. I am still giving their power center some consideration.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #19

Name: Rita
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD; 2017 Toyota Highlander with tow package
Kansas
I put a Battle Born 100Ah in my 2018 Casita SD. It was drop-in, with no mods other than changing out the L-brackets that hold the battery in the compartment (BB is a little longer). I use a Renogy 40A charge controller, which has a Lithium setting. Works well so far.
rlsooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #20

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
related....and funny, sorta...

had to post this....
Attached Thumbnails
lolbatt.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote