Looking at solar power options - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Originally Posted by Fran L View Post
....The other old trick I picked up while on safari in Africa is to use a hot water bottle wrapped in a fleece sleeve. Tuck it under the covers at the foot of the bed and it will keep your toes nice and warm all night long! I even use it at home during the winter...decadent!
We used to wrap a hot rock from the fire ring in an old towel or sweatshirt. Would still be warm in the morning, toasty toes. Worked best to place a rock for this purpose where it could get hot without getting all scorched and sooty.

RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #16
Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I was at Costco today and they still have the 55 watt Coleman for about $150, which included a 12 v DC to 110v AC converter.

I think it is this one:

Coleman 58050 55 Watt Solar Charging Kit
Tom do you mean inverter ? And I went to their web site and didn't see it there so must be just at the store?

Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Tom do you mean inverter ? And I went to their web site and didn't see it there so must be just at the store?
Yea, sorry, it is an inverter. I did see it at the local store in Livonia, Michigan.
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Tim Wood,

Solar South USA, Providing the Best in Alternative/Renewable Energy - About us

Our son bought the 70 watter for his Scamp 13, we have 80 watts. They used to show a 70 watter on this page. I believe if you want a 70 watt unit they will make it. The 80 fits just fine on our Scamp 16.

We have bought three different controllers. I have the simplest solar controller, a fancier mmpt controller and a really fancy pwm controller that allows you to preset all kinds of thing and actually see the number of amp-hrs added to your battery. We installed the latter in our son's unit.

This was the fanciest of the bunch. It really does all kinds of things, like shut off the battery load when the battery gets low and you can preset the level...and so on. about $45

This is the simplest and costs about $10. We do not use it to control our load current but to charge and maintain the battery. Works fine for us.

We also have one like this that we are not using right now. A little more efficient battery charging technique. about $20.

MPPT 30A Solar Power Controller Regulator Converter 12V/24V Auto Switch 720W aub | eBay

Hope that helps
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
Thanks Tom & Norm for the info.

Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote