Math test - Induction Cooktop - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #1

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Math test - Induction Cooktop

Hi All,

Following the thread about using Instant Pot brought up a question on my potential set-up. What are the implications of using a 1300 watt Induction Cooktop over a 1800 watt Induction Cooktop in regards to power usage. Is using the 1800 watt induction cooktop on - let's say - medium, the same as using the 1300 watt cooktop on max setting.

On the grid the 1800 watt induction top has greater versatility. Off grid will 1800 watt be too much of a drain. Is is better to get a 1300 watt induction cooktop? I plan to bring foods to boil with induction (10-15 min) - finish cooking in Wonderbag. So high power drain - shorter time period.

Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
How-it-works-wonderbag_fy9fkp.jpg  
Old 08-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
To complicate the math, remember that water boils at a lower temperature at higher elevations, and food will take longer to cook. Pasta that cooks in 15 minutes at sea level might take 30 minutes or more at high altitude. Pressure cookers are great!

In general, boiling is an inefficient way to cook. Think sauteeing and stir frying.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #3

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Most of us take for granted the almost unlimited supply of electricity we have at home. The average homeowner uses over 900 kilowatt hours per month. That means using the equivalent of 1,000 watts for 900 hours, or however you choose to divide it up.

The 1800 watt cooktop on high would use 1 kwh in about 33 minutes. The 1300 watt version would make it almost a full hour. A size 27, 12 volt battery can supply 1,000 watts for about half an hour before it should be recharged. That's 20 hours of sunlight with a 100 watt solar panel, figuring normal inefficiencies. Making heat from batteries is not yet very practical.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #4

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
To complicate the math, remember that water boils at a lower temperature at higher elevations, and food will take longer to cook. Pasta that cooks in 15 minutes at sea level might take 30 minutes or more at high altitude. Pressure cookers are great!

In general, boiling is an inefficient way to cook. Think sauteeing and stir frying.
Thanks Jon - good advice - we'll be staying at sea level mostly. I liked the idea of induction plate as potentially more versatile than instant pot - for the reason that sauteeing or stir frying are also possible.

I got the pots for induction already - just need to decide 1800 watt vs 1300 watt burner in terms of load. Should I sacrifice 500 watts for the sake of energy sustainability? If I think of it like backpacking - every ounce (or watt in this case) matters. Is this a good way to approach it?

Our all-electric EggCamper has none of the installed appliances (some have microwave and coffeepot) - just an outlet. An induction burner will be my one indoor cooking option for rainy day.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #5

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
Most of us take for granted the almost unlimited supply of electricity we have at home. The average homeowner uses over 900 killowatt hours per month. That means using the equivalent of 1,000 watts for 900 hours, or however you choose to divide it up.

The 1800 watt cooktop on high would use 1 kwh in about 33 minutes. The 1300 watt version would make it almost a full hour. A size 27, 12 volt battery can supply 1,000 watts for about half an hour before it should be recharged. That's 20 hours of sunlight with a 100 watt solar panel, figuring normal inefficiencies. Making heat from batteries is not yet very practical.
Thanks Lynn,

This is a good explanation of the impact of choosing 1800 watt induction vs. 1300 watt on power useage. Thinking I'll choose 1300, and induction plate will only get packed when we will be plugged in. Even then - as soon as the pot hits temperature it will go into thermal cooker.

I am reading posts about solar - ideal for Florida. After we get some experience with TT - and the funds - we will look into that.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:15 PM   #6

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
I think Lynn said it best, batteries are less than ideal for cooking. I must say that I enjoyed reading the instant pot thread. My take away is there is nothing like cooking with gas, except maybe charcoal or even an open fire.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:35 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
the highest browning temperature setting on an Instapot is 380 degrees

The medium high temperature on an induction cooktop is 300 degrees

You will be just fine using an Instapot for many tasks including browning meat for stir frys and/or for veggie stir fry. Not as high as a steel Wok on a restaurant range that has tons of BTUs but it will still get the job done.

Remember if you find it does not work the way you hope for your frying needs then you can always purchase an induction cooktop at a later date.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:48 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'd just heat a can of Campbell's Chunky Steak and Potato soup on a propane or butane burner.

If that's not appealing, there are thousands of recipes for BBQ or fry pan meals.
Attached Thumbnails
chicken napoleon - 1.jpg  
Old 08-26-2019, 02:39 AM   #9

Oregon
I have hefted up those Instapots at the stores and even the little one is a major chunk of weight, about 10 times the weight of my stainless steel stove top pressure cooker. I will do without the convenience of the built in timer while knowing that the Instapot takes just as much time to pressure cook something as a stove top unit.

My payback is that I can travel in a 4 cylinder vehicle and have the gas savings of that. But I can't do that if I add appliances that don't return their value in function plus weight savings.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #10

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyNorthFL View Post
Like Kai - my TV is a four cylinder - best to keep TT weight down. Seems like the best answer is to fill my home kitchen with all the small appliances - and take along whichever one seems best per trip. Ok course Kai's post brings up the thought of combining the induction burner and a stainless steel pressure cooker So many permutations - this really is a Math Test.
My name is not Kai, it is Karin. We are not the same person, she is very nice and much more outgoing and has even hosted a gathering in Seattle. She has an Amerigo and I have a Campster but both of us are in the Seattle area. Perhaps one of these days we will even get to meet each other
Old 08-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
1300 watts from an inverter driven by 12VDC batteriues is about 120 amps, allowing for conversion efficiency.

if you have a single group 27M (typical in a Casita), you have *max* 100 amp*hours in your battery. if you have dual 6V golf cart batteries, you might have 230 amp*hours. BUTT, and this is a biggun, lead acid batteries do not like to be taken below about 50% discharge, or you greatly shorten their life span, even the proper deep discharge ones.

it will take a 100W solar system, that actually has a useful output of 5-7 amps, at least 20 hours of direct sunshine to put back in 120 amp*hours. a 200W solar system might do it in 10 hours.

leave the high wattage electric appliances at home, you're CAMPING. cook with gas.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
There are always options. You are not really limited to electricity in an all-electric camper. I sometimes use one of these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's light weight, not too big, comes in a plastic carry case, and is very easy to pull out and put away.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #13

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
My name is not Kai, it is Karin. We are not the same person, she is very nice and much more outgoing and has even hosted a gathering in Seattle. She has an Amerigo and I have a Campster but both of us are in the Seattle area. Perhaps one of these days we will even get to meet each other
Oh shoot - thanks Karin for the clarification. My apologies.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:15 PM   #14

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
leave the high wattage electric appliances at home, you're CAMPING. cook with gas.
Thanks John, Tony, Glenn and Mike for sharing your thoughts. After a long hot summer - camping is on the horizon Just a hurricane or two to get through first. Maybe I'll get to practice off the grid skills. It is reassuring to have gas stove just in case power is lost.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:00 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post

John,

Excellent advice.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Can you do this with an Insta-pot or pressure cooker?
Attached Thumbnails
Breakfast - 1.jpg   Shrimp scallop salad.jpg  

The Only.jpg   W pork back ribs.jpg  

Old 08-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #17

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Looking for a Meerkat
California
Fuelcells

I read articles about some Australian camper companies sell optional fuel cells to power up their kitchen induction cool tops. No noise, no smell and only pure alcohol is used to make electricity which maintains the batteries. Pricy, I suppose.
Oxford9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:47 PM   #18

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Looking for a Meerkat
California
Pressure cooker and vacuum insulated

Presure cookers are more effecient as they cook faster by increasing the boiling point with the higher pressure and thus take less time to cook. A vacuum insulated thermal vessel keeps the cooking food hot long after the heat has been removed. Put these two inventions together and you can have a very efficient cooking device. The food gets hotter than boiling and then the power is turned off and it keeps cooking and by itself. https://www.amazon.com/German-Pool%C...garden&sr=1-20
Oxford9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:49 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford9999 View Post
Presure cookers are more effecient as they cook faster by increasing the boiling point with the higher pressure and thus take less time to cook. A vacuum insulated thermal vessel keeps the cooking food hot long after the heat has been removed. Put these two inventions together and you can have a very efficient cooking device. The food gets hotter than boiling and then the power is turned off and it keeps cooking and by itself. https://www.amazon.com/German-Pool%C...garden&sr=1-20
Looks about the same as an Instant Pot.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #20

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
[QUOTE=John in Santa Cruz;753634

it will take a 100W solar system, that actually has a useful output of 5-7 amps, at least 20 hours of direct sunshine to put back in 120 amp*hours. a 200W solar system might do it in 10 hours..[/QUOTE]

And the odds of getting 10 hours a day of direct sunshine vary by location, and if your panel is moveable. Where I am camping on the Blue Ridge Parkway right now, the sun is in one area of the campsite in the morning and another in the afternoon, and is moving the entire time. So unless you want to stand around moving your portable panel from spot to spot, you are only going to get about 4 hours in a day. Enough to recharge the battery from lights, not enough to run much of any appliance.

Now if I was camping out in the desert with no shade, say Quartzite, no problem getting 10 to 12 hours of sunshine a day. But I don't see myself camping there.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote