My new 13' Scamp & Electrical question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #1

Name: CB
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Texas
My new 13' Scamp & Electrical question

Hello all. I recently picked up a 1981 13' Scamp on New Years Eve. Since then, I've been going through it and so far I cleaned, primered and painted the frame and rear bumper. Re-packed wheel bearings and painted the wheels red. Repaired/replaced/glassed a 6"x8" section of the floor in the back near the water tank. Next on the immediate list: make new cabinet doors, lay down new vinyl faux bamboo flooring and hang up new curtains. Future list: fix the bubbafied AC unit install on the front window, remove/reseal all windows and polish her up. During all of this, I already have a couple of trips planned and can't wait to get out there.

Now to the electrical question. Per the PO, the trailer lights were not working. The 12V battery system IS working when hooked up to a battery. The PO just added a set of those magnetic trailer lights and didn't get to the root cause of the issue. I haven't tested it yet. Per the owner's manual, I am supposed to have a yellow wire and blue wire. The trailer does have electric brakes, but I am not interested in hooking them up. However, I would like for my tow rig to charge the 12V battery when driving. Can someone explain exactly what I am looking at here? Is this stock wiring? It doesn't seem like the factory would use this type of wire connector to join two wires. Wires present: White, Black, Green, Brown, Red
Unoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #2

Texas
My pics didn't upload
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0001.jpg   IMG_0004.jpg  

IMG_0005.jpg   IMG_0048.jpg  

Old 01-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome. I can't address your wiring question, but it looks like your axle is riding too low. Also you may find the brakes are not that hard to fix and add a nice measure of safety and control.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #4

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
I second Tom's recommendation about fixing the brakes. You might want to check state regulations. Its possible you are required to fix them.

As for your wiring question, this link should help to get you started:
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
The Scamp site will give your a wiring diagram. Since your trailer has brakes, you are missing some wires where it connects to the tow vehicle. You should have either 6 or 7 wires(7 if you have backup lites). Look under the front bench and see if the wires are there. It's not that hard to buy and replace the entire pigtail going to the tow vehicle.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #6

Texas
Yeah, I suspected the axle of riding too low. I'm pretty sure the state of TX doesn't require the trailer brakes, but I will look into it. I have a tandem jetski trailer that probably weighs as much as the scamp and it doesnt have brakes on it. My tow rig is has 4 wheel disc with a tranny cooler, so trailer brakes are low on my priority list right now. Eventually I'll replace the axle and have the brakes wired up correctly.

Thanks for the info
Old 01-23-2013, 04:24 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Greg
Scamp trailers use the Bargman trailer wiring color code. As mentioned earlier it can be found at the Scamp website in the owners manual section. Just as the wires come into the trailer under the front bench seat I usually place a junction box. Trailer Wiring Junction Box Spectro Accessories and Parts 38656 It really helps clean up the wiring mess and provides a place to connect your pigtail. I use a 7 pin molded pigtail and all the connections are inside in the junction box so when you want to add your brakes you just connect then in the J box later. You can also tie your battery wiring in here or add a fuse panel for house 12VDC wiring if you don't add a converter.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #8

Texas
Excellent idea Eddie. Thanks for the input. I'm just going to order a new 7-pin pig tail and start fresh. My tow rig came wired from the factory with a 7-pin connection, so this makes the most sense.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
As far as the wiring goes Scamp did use the yellow scotch lock connectors. They also used wire nuts behind the tail lights on the passengers side. At least they did on my 1987 model.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #10

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
As far as the wiring goes Scamp did use the yellow scotch lock connectors. They also used wire nuts behind the tail lights on the passengers side. At least they did on my 1987 model.
Don't want to hijack this thread, but...Steve, I see you're in CA. If you're in NoCA, I'm wondering if you can recommend someone that can help me out with my '77 Scamp wiring. There's some hinky wriing that the PO did. I'd like to update and make everything safe and wire in the new solar system. I've tried to pick up what I can from the forums but I'm willing to have someone more familar work on it to ensure its done properly. When I'm back in the Bay Area in 10 days, I'll take some pictures and see if anyone can help me out.
Specifically, under the sink, on the left side wall, there are what looks like 2 12v battery posts with wires attached. Is this normal? I've not seen anyone else mention that. I've done a fare amt of wiring in my home, but 12v really baffles me.
Linda
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Otters I sent you a private message
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #12

Texas
The twist wire locks are present behind the taillights on my 81. I was able to use what you see in the picture and get the factory lights to work; however it is just hooked with a flat 4 plug right now. I'll get the 7 pin hooked up in due time, seems pretty straight forward, but for now this will do.

Tags
electrical, scamp