Need advice / guidance on Trillium 1300 rewire - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
My 1986 Scamp had 2 different systems 120 volt and 12 volt. No converter or charger panel. When I rewired to the PD-4045 panel I redid everything but the actual incoming trailer pigtail. It took far longer to figure out what to do, what I wanted to achieve and figure out proper loads to get the protection systems right than it took to do the actual wiring. The PD-4045 made it so I didn't have to share circuits and properly charge the battery so I didn't have to worry about it.
Its all pretty serious stuff not to be taken lightly.

stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #16
Name: Chris
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
This is the perfect time to "update" your entire electrical system as has been stated earlier - this ain't rocket science but done incorrectly it either won't work or you can hurt yourself alot.. Some things to consider- As you currently don't have a "converter" in your unit - the only way that you can charge your 12 volt battery is by hooking the trailer to your vehicle when it is running - that's not not handy at all..

What I did (in no particular order) goes something like this..

- I cut a hole in the fiberglass below my furnace under the kitchen sink and installed a "converter" .. This unit is used to "convert" 110 volt AC to 12 volt DC.. It also contains a number of circuts with brakers/fuses for both 110 volt and 12 volt power lines..
- That octaginal electrical box in the closet needs to be repurposed - use it only as the box to connect the outside power cord to the main power line to the "converter"
- Mount a 12 volt battery in the tongue of the trailer and run lines along the frame and then up thru the fiberglass and connect these lines to the appropriate places on the "converter"
- Replace all existing power lines - AC and DC - by using attaching the new lines to the old ones and "pulling" the old lines out and thus pulling tbe new lines into the same locations..
- put in a few new "lines" to where you think you might need them - e.g. new recepticles where you think they are missing or new lines for more lights or .. the wish lost goes on..
- label all the lines as to their purpose and when it comes to hooking the lines to the "converter" this might be the time to hire that electrician or call that friend that can assist you in this..

Hope this helps ;-)

Chris from Comox..
Chris from Comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #17
Name: Chris
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
One last recommendation - You can never have to much "grounding" - Ground to the frame as much as you want - more is ohh so much better than less ;-)
Chris from Comox..
Chris from Comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:35 PM   #18
Thanks for all this great info.
I am going to do as Chris suggested and route the wiring but have an electrician actually do the hook up

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Trillium-Pettis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:10 AM   #19
Trailer: Trillium
A lot of the 1300's did not have a breaker box or distribution setup. And it seems like from year to year, they were very different. All the work you want to do can be done, but you need professional help. Ask one of the technicians from your local dealer if they do side jobs, maybe a little cash will get you going on the right direction. If you do the work yourself, take your time and do it well. You could just follow the existing wire routes, and so pull new wires to the same places. Saying that, usually the power cord comes in the left side of trailer, the non door side. In my 1300, the JB Was under the heater in the dinette.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #20
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
If a Trillium has a converter, it acts as the main breaker as well. The breaker in the converter is a 10A breaker. If it didn't have a converter there was usually a breaker, either in the closet, or under the furnace in a 1300.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:33 AM   #21
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Originally Posted by Trillium-Pettis View Post
Amy help would be greatly appreciated
You have gotten lots of good help so far, but by far the best, is to seek the help of someone who well knows what they are doing with both AC and DC circuits.

It would help if you filled out your user info to show your name, location and trailer info. You never know, someone knowledgeable near you might offer to come help.

2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote