New Coleman flashlight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 08:33 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
New Coleman flashlight

New model, looks nice ....Coleman - Divide™ 75L LED Flashlight
other models available http://www.coleman.com/Products/Flashlights
Old 03-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Interesting, two AAA batteries don't provide enough voltage to light a white LED without some additional electronics. I wonder why they didn't just add a third battery? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Dunno about that. I have several diminutive LED flashlights that only require a single AAA cell to put out 80 lumens. I bought about 4 of them because they're so handy and convenient to carry; each one is just slightly larger than the AAA cell itself. Mine are called Maratac but ITP / Olight is another company. Mostly found online only, not in stores. Maybe these do need some extra circuitry to run off 1.5V, but if so, it takes up so little space as to be insignificant.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The trouble with an LED flashlight is you need a tungsten flashlight to find it.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:06 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The trouble with an LED flashlight is you need a tungsten flashlight to find it.
Not sure I get it. Are you suggesting that the LED flashlight isn't bright enough? If so, I would enjoy showing you a couple of mine. Like the Fenix TK70, 2200 ANSI lumens from 3 Cree XM-L emitters running off of 4 NiMH D cells. Or my custom modified Maglite with 7 XM-L emitters which puts out 4000 lumens and makes my car's high beams look wimpy in comparison. I like LED flashlights. The technology has moved a long way in the last 5 years.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:41 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have a Stanley Maxlife 369 Tripod. Takes nine AA cells and maybe it's the colour of the light, but I feel like I'm looking through gauze. I bought it several years ago, before I had to buy my own batteries.
I have a couple Maglites with tungsten bulbs. Take a couple AA cells and I can see what I'm doing.
When the batteries in the Stanley die ( they do last a long time ) I won't be replacing them. I'll toss it.

In any event, the problem with a flashlight is that you need one to find one.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...nley_max-t.htm
Old 03-07-2015, 05:00 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Dunno about that. I have several diminutive LED flashlights that only require a single AAA cell to put out 80 lumens. I bought about 4 of them because they're so handy and convenient to carry; each one is just slightly larger than the AAA cell itself. Mine are called Maratac but ITP / Olight is another company. Mostly found online only, not in stores. Maybe these do need some extra circuitry to run off 1.5V, but if so, it takes up so little space as to be insignificant.
I bet if you put one next to an AM radio it will sing to you Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have a couple LED headlamps that use 3 AAA batteries, and they will just about blind a person if shone in their eyes. I can see well for a couple hundred feet with them on high.

That said, we rarely use them with the trailer, as I find them too bright, and use ones that are still bright enough to work by, and not so bright as to bother others.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
The "race" to produce the brightest/smallest LED flashlight is getting out off hand. While there is sometimes a need for as much light as possible, most of the time less is better.

My most useful "flashlight" is a keychain coin battery version that is about the size of a quarter. I always have it with me & it provides enough light for most needs.

I have a Dorcy 3 "C" cell flashlight that produces 500 Lumens, and feel guilty turning it on in a campground. They now make a 610 Lumen version.

Of course, if you want to spend $200.00 you can get really carried away & buy a 6510 Lumen Flashlight.

My suggestion is if you want one of these "super bright" flashlights, get one that has a "low light" setting. The low light setting may be more useful most of the time & will extend battery life.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I purchased one of the Dorcy lights Jon mentioned, they are bright. But what I find interesting about these Coleman units is the ability to eliminate phantom drain as well as battery corrosion often found in handheld units. These are supposed to not drain the battery while in storage thus allowing them to last longer.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #11

Oklahoma
Jon, you're right, the best flashlight is the one you have with you (and that favors small ones). And yes, to be truly useful a light should have multiple settings. The little 1-AAA lights I mentioned have low (1.5 lumen), medium, high. The maglite mod has 7 levels. Sometimes all one needs is a bit of light for a brief time, and not too much light so as to not ruin one's night vision.

Jim, I hadn't heard of any light that could eliminate battery corrosion. How would it do that? I've had alkaline batteries start to leak in various devices; sometimes they were dead, sometimes not, but usually they were at least a couple years old. Some people refer to alkalines as "alkaleaks". Personally I try to use NiMH LSD (low self discharge) cells like Eneloops wherever I can, along with the occasional lithium cell (like Energizer Advanced).
Old 03-14-2015, 06:00 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
For the price these "FREE with any purchase" ones at Harbor Freight work fine for me, you can't beat the price and batteries are INCLUDED

Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:38 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with Joe, love the free HF LED flashlights. I have several in Ten Forward. Always at hand. I love these little flashlights so much, I make it a point of purchasing multipacks and give away flashlights at the NOGs. You can never have too many (IMHO).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
While a flashlight will do in many instances, I sill prefer to have a headlamp, as for many tasks it leaves both hands free to do the task at hand, plus is easily directed towards where you look. It can also be handheld for quick use too.

I have been using a headlamp now for over 35 years now, stemming back to my earlier days of backcountry travel, where it was your only light source for night time use, other than the campfire.

While I have a couple that have super strong power, an older version of this Petzl Zipka is one I carry around in my pocket the most. It is very small, bright, and always handy. Not as cheap as some flashlights, but still a lot cheaper than most good headlamps. The one I have, I have had for almost 10 years now, built tough.

Click photo for link.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #15

Name: Mo
Trailer: Still looking
Texas
I occasionally ranch sit for my brother and SIL and often end up doing chores (feeding horses, mainly) in the dark (early morning or late evening). They have some COAST brand lightweight LED headlamps for this purpose that are great. I was amazed at how bright and totally uniform the light was, unlike a non-LED headlight, which tends to have concentric rings of light. The battery pack was on the back of the elastic head strap and used 3 AAA batteries. It had a little switch that would shine red or white light.

Amazon has 'em for $15 here.
June Bug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light