New converter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Viking Popup
Ohio
New converter

I'm replacing the converter on a viking pop up. I am able to keep the 110 volt distribution panel. The new converter directions show the + wire running from the converter to the 12 volt fuse strip and then to the battery. There are 2 open fuses in this strip both 15 amp. Can I wire to the battery from this fuse or should I run from the converter directly to the battery with an inline fuse? What gauge wiring?
JimVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
A fuse at the converter protects the wire between the converter and the battery. Should there be a short in the wire to ground, the fuse at the converter would trip. no fuse at the converter and the short, the wire could get red hot and start a fire.

Same applies to the inline fuse at the battery that will trip on that end should there be a short between the battery and the converter and/or ground.

I would fuse both. Nothing smaller than 12 Gauge wiring. 10 gauge is better.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I don't know much about pop ups, this being a fiberglass travel trailer site after all, but in my Casita I believe the 12vDC positive from the converter goes to a thermal breaker on the side of the battery compartment before going into the battery.

I wouldn't wire the battery to one of the individual DC fuses. But, as I said, I have no clue about popups.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote