New to this - how to find 120V hookup? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Name: Jessica and Miles
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
Pennsylvania
Registry
New to this - how to find 120V hookup?

This is probably the silliest question ever asked, but we'd sure appreciate your help.

We are going to take our Compact Jr for its first campout this weekend. The trailer gets its power from a 120V plug. (That's right, think of the whole camper like an oversized cuisinart. It has a 120V three-prong standard plug on its side). We have used a regular extension cord to plug it into a standard outlet while parked in our driveway and the electrical all works fine.

But.... When I look at the campsites, they all offer "30amp" or "50amp" service.

What does that mean for us? Will we be able to plug in our camper, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance!
- clueless newbies
MilesandJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
They make a 30 amp male to 15 amp female adaptor.
They are available on Amazon for about $7
Many campground pedestals have a 15 /20 amp 120 VAC receptacle as well as a 30 amp 120 VAC receptacle.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Adapter

Road Power 09522-33-88 30-15-Amp RV Power Adapter
$5.58

At Walmart store. Check to see if they have one in stock.
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Every campground we have been in that has a power post at the site has a 15 / 20 amp outlet along with a 30 amp, and some also have a 50. Many campground stores carry the adapters, probably can find them at Walmart.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #5

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
As mentioned by Francene, here is a link to the Walmart available one;
Road Power 09522-33-88 30-15-Amp RV Power Adapter - Walmart.com
And on Amazon;
Robot Check

These ones go from the super common NEMA TT-30 30 amp connections to a standard household 15 amp. Pay attention that you get the correct one, as they are also made to adapt 30 amp trailers to 15 amp sockets as well. It would be a bummer to get to a campsite and realize you had grabbed the wrong one!

It's handy to have these available. Most power posts will have a range of connections including 15/20 AMP. Sometimes, some will be melted and damaged from people doing silly things. In these cases it's good to have a range of adapters so you can pick the best connection.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:27 AM   #6

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
The majority of camping sell or lend, with a down payment that is usually the price of one of these adapters, at the reception desk.
I forgot mine in another camp and I could help me with the reception desk.

I have different models of adapters for 15, 30 or 50 amps, so I can connect, regardless of the available connection.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Just to clarify- they are all 120V connections. The amperage rating refers to the amount of current that can safely pass through the connection. Large RVs running HW heaters, large fridges, microwaves, multiple AC units, etc., require higher amperage connections. They are supplied with heavier gauge cords and special plugs that fit the higher amperage outlets.

As originally built, your Compact Jr. draws minimal current, so you can use any of the available outlets (with the proper adaptor, as described). Just make sure your trailer's own power center is in good condition with a circuit breaker sized for your wiring and appliances. With an older trailer, that's something worth having a qualified electrician inspect, especially if you or previous owners have added high-wattage appliances that weren't originally supplied with the trailer (microwave, electric heater, AC, for example). You should never depend on the campground's breakers to protect your trailer from an electrical fault or circuit overload, and when you connect to a higher amperage outlet, you lose that secondary protection.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #8

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Your trailer is wired for 15 amp supply , so you must be sure that you have a 15 amp circuit breaker or fuse in the circuit if you are converting to a 30 or 50 amp supply. I mention this because someone may have installed a larger amp fuse at some time and since your supply will not be protected at the source you must have it protected in the trailer.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenjiFox View Post
It's handy to have these available. Most power posts will have a range of connections including 15/20 AMP. Sometimes, some will be melted and damaged from people doing silly things. In these cases it's good to have a range of adapters so you can pick the best connection.
This is a good point. I have not (yet) encountered the lack of a 30 amp (the size/rating I need for my Scamp) receptacle in a campground pedestal. But, I have had some pretty sorry, burned and worn out ones to deal with. I only have a 15 amp to 30 amp adaptor so far and use it when I plug in at the home. I expect to get a 50 to 30 for my birthday though, especially since I will be buying it myself.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #10

Name: Wendy
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17’
California
There are no silly questions on this forum. We all have to learn step by step.
SactoWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:34 PM   #11

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Take adapters

I have a limited experience with RV Parks but I found that at the two I went to, the duplex GFI outlet did not work but the 30 amp plug in did work. The park staff told me it is hard to keep the GFI outlets operating, especially at coastal settings. It is good to have options.
Dbybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Just to clarify- they are all 120V connections. The amperage rating refers to the amount of current that can safely pass through the connection. Large RVs running HW heaters, large fridges, microwaves, multiple AC units, etc., require higher amperage connections. They are supplied with heavier gauge cords and special plugs that fit the higher amperage outlets.
Not true at all!
The 50 Amp RV connections are 240 volt, not 120 volt like the 15 Amp, 20 Amp and 30 Amp outlets. With a 50 Amp-to-30 Amp adapter, you are only tapping into one 120 volt leg of the 240 volts available. With a 30 Amp-to-20 Amp (or 15 Amp) adapter you are only using the same 120 volt leg that the 30 Amp outlet provides, just with a different plug. The only difference in the 30 Amp vs 20 Amp vs 15 Amp power outlets are the plug prong configurations, and obviously, the power output available. Just make sure that you have an in-line protection (circuit breaker) suitable for your intended use and capacity.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Not true at all!
The 50 Amp RV connections are 240 volt, not 120 volt like the 15 Amp, 20 Amp and 30 Amp outlets. With a 50 Amp-to-30 Amp adapter, you are only tapping into one 120 volt leg of the 240 volts available. With a 30 Amp-to-20 Amp (or 15 Amp) adapter you are only using the same 120 volt leg that the 30 Amp outlet provides, just with a different plug. The only difference in the 30 Amp vs 20 Amp vs 15 Amp power outlets are the plug prong configurations, and obviously, the power output available. Just make sure that you have an in-line protection (circuit breaker) suitable for your intended use and capacity.
Thanks for the catch on that Greg!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
You're welcome. Just "keepin ya honest"...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote