No idea how to replace recessed light bulbs! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #1

Name: M.
Trailer: None yet.
California
No idea how to replace recessed light bulbs!

My 25RQ Bigfoot has three small recessed lights above the kitchen area. The bulbs burned out one at a time so I would like to replace them (sounds easy, yes?). Well, I cannot figure out how to remove the bulb. The lenses do not move nor do the donut shaped pieces of metal that surrounds them. In frustration I unscrewed the supporting wood piece from the ceiling to see if I could remove the bulb from that side - but it looks like I would have to disconnect the wiring to access the light fixtures, remove the fixture and then rewire everything (not fun).

Can anyone help?

Thank you.
Trusty2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Where there is a will there is a way. I'm not familiar with your lights but there must be a way to change the bulbs. Maybe they twist out from the top?
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Not sure what the ones in the Bigfoot are like but some of them you have to turn the glass counter clockwise about an inch and pull down others you have to push up on them and then turn a little bit and then pull down.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #4

California
Attached is a photo of the light - hopefully you can see it.

Thanks for the suggestions - unfortunately nothing moves on the light fixture - when I push on the lens upward and try to rotate it, nothing happens. The same thing with the outer metal pieces, they do not twist either direction (they are flush against the wood).

The space between the lens and the metal outer piece is not big enough for my fingernails to get a grip.

I tried holding onto the lens with a piece of tape - and am now considering using some sort of suction device (this may sound silly but I really want to replace the bulbs!).
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Is it possible that the whole thing, lens & metal ring snap into place. Maybe try to get a thin putty knife between the ring and the wood and pry. Just a thought, not sure if this is the answer. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think these are called "Puck Lights." In trying to help using Google... I found this:

"I bought 4 of these puck lights a few years ago and they would open very easily to change the bulb (just push up lightly and twist). I just bought 4 more last week and they are too difficult to open. You'll need to stick a small flat head screw driver between the light cover and housing and pry the light cover off. In doing this, you will surely scratch the painted surface of the light housing. Poor design change! They should go back to the original twisting design."

Is there any brand/model number stamped anywhere? Maybe the manufacturer's website would have a FAQ.

Good luck and please let us know what you find out.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #7

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusty2010 View Post
My 25RQ Bigfoot has three small recessed lights above the kitchen area. The bulbs burned out one at a time so I would like to replace them (sounds easy, yes?). Well, I cannot figure out how to remove the bulb. The lenses do not move nor do the donut shaped pieces of metal that surrounds them. In frustration I unscrewed the supporting wood piece from the ceiling to see if I could remove the bulb from that side - but it looks like I would have to disconnect the wiring to access the light fixtures, remove the fixture and then rewire everything (not fun).

Can anyone help?

Thank you.
Hello.....I have the same set up with those lights in my 17.5G Bigfoot. Just finished replacing those light bulbs with new LEDs. No problem. You need a very thin knife blade that you insert between the small ring and the larger one. Just seperate the 2 pieces of metal and then use your finger nail to pull the small ring out. The bulb will be right there and can be easily pulled out. Watch you don't scratch the metal....don't pick at it with the knife tip. The second or third time you have to remove the ring, it will be looser and your finger nail will be all you need. Here's a link to the LED bulbs I used. I did have to shorten the 2 wire connectors a small amount.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_3334wt_956
Don Dunsmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
put a piece of masking tape on the outer ring to preven scratching
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #9

California
Thanks, All, I really appreciate the help! I will do as Don and John suggest and hopefully it will go well and nothing will be scratched.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #10

California
Success! I followed Don's instructions using a small putty knife to pry the light out and everything went fine - thank you!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #11

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
Glad I was able to help.....
Don Dunsmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light